Re: [mlathemods] ping modifying a 7 x10

  • Corey Renner
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2010
      For the cost of the conversion, you would be better-off selling your
      7x10 and picking up a 7x14 when you see a deal on Craigslist.

      On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Flash Gordon
      <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:
      > Anybody home?
      >
      > I am thinking of getting the 14" bed from LMC. Anybody try this and are there any big problems?
      >
      > Also they have a milling attachment. Is it worth it if I only need to mill some slots in aluminum or square an end once in awhile.
      >
      > Ed
    • Mike Nicewonger
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2010
        On Feb 27, 2010, at 6:33 PM, Corey Renner wrote:

        > For the cost of the conversion, you would be better-off selling your
        > 7x10 and picking up a 7x14 when you see a deal on Craigslist.

        I'll second this. Having owned a 7x10.

        --
        Mike N
      • Flash Gordon
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2010
          thanks guys for the quick answer... something to consider.

          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

          > For the cost of the conversion, you would be better-off selling your
          > 7x10 and picking up a 7x14 when you see a deal on Craigslist.

          > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Flash Gordon
          > <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:
          > > Anybody home?
          > >
          > > I am thinking of getting the 14" bed from LMC. Anybody try this and are there any big problems?
          > >
          > > Also they have a milling attachment. Is it worth it if I only need to mill some slots in aluminum or square an end once in awhile.
          > >
          > > Ed

        • Glen Hoag
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2010
            That will depend on the availability of 7x14 deals in your area, what
            you can get for your 7x10, and how long you want to wait for the best deal.

            In addition, if you have made extensive internal modifications to
            your 7x10, such as metal gears and/or roller bearings, you may be
            better off upgrading the existing unit.

            --Glen

            At 05:33 PM 2/27/2010, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

            >For the cost of the conversion, you would be better-off selling your
            >7x10 and picking up a 7x14 when you see a deal on Craigslist.

            >On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Flash Gordon
            ><<mailto:eschwerkolt%40roadrunner.com>eschwerkolt@...> wrote:
            > > Anybody home?
            > >
            > > I am thinking of getting the 14" bed from LMC. Anybody try this
            > and are there any big problems?
            > >
            > > Also they have a milling attachment. Is it worth it if I only
            > need to mill some slots in aluminum or square an end once in awhile.
            > >
            > > Ed
          • Jim E.
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
              I was part of the "evaluation team" when the 12" bed mod became
              available. Assuming it's the same process just more length, it's a cinch.

              Graciously,
              Jim E.
              Lakewood, CA
              All Hail Rube Goldberg!

              Flash Gordon wrote:
              > Anybody home?
              >
              > I am thinking of getting the 14" bed from LMC. Anybody try this and are there any big problems?
              >
              > Also they have a milling attachment. Is it worth it if I only need to mill some slots in aluminum or square an end once in awhile.
              >
              > Ed

            • andyf1108
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010
                I got one of those milling slides, and have reservations about it - see
                http://andysmachines.weebly.com/the-vertical-milling-slide---criticisms.html . That shows it on a type of 7x12 which is little known on your side of the Atlantic, but the shortcomings are equally applicable to the more usual mini-lathes.

                Andy

                --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Flash Gordon" <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

                > Anybody home?
                >
                > I am thinking of getting the 14" bed from LMC. Anybody try this and are there any big problems?
                >
                > Also they have a milling attachment. Is it worth it if I only need to mill some slots in aluminum or square an end once in awhile.
                >
                > Ed

              • Bill Williams
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010
                  andyf1108 wrote:
                  > I got one of those milling slides, and have reservations about it -
                  > see:

                  <http://andysmachines.weebly.com/the-vertical-milling-slide---criticisms.html

                  > That shows it on a type of 7x12 which is little known on your side
                  > of the Atlantic, but the shortcomings are equally applicable to the
                  > more usual mini-lathes. Andy

                  Thanks Andy for your critique. I had some of the same issues with the
                  one bought for my 12x36 Atlas. The overhang is an inherent problem
                  stemming from the general design of lathes! Compounds are located to put
                  the tool travel mostly on the operator's side of the
                  work and allow limited movement past center. Mills need that travel
                  centered on the work holder. A fundamental disconnect! I did not
                  have the same degree of travel issues you found but they are still
                  there! I fixed all of the travel issues with a new, tee slotted,
                  crossfeed table that allows everything to be located as needed but
                  by then I had a "Real" mill! Still I hope some day to devise a small
                  gear hobbing machine based on this attachment and mounted on
                  the lathe! Bill in Boulder