Re: new member

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 19, 2008
      Hay Tony, Cap here
      If you can find a women that is cheeper then metal working grab
      her and take her home for keeps. she canhelp keep the chips a flying.
    • Andrew Franks
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
        Hi Gus,

        My 7x12 lathe (not a Seig product) came with no way of reversing the
        leadscrew, apart from reversing the motor, which means that the
        spindle goes backwards, too. I thought about a tumbler, but settled
        in the end for simply fixing an idler gear between the spindle gear
        and the first changewheel, when needed. Not as convenient as a
        tumbler, but I reckoned I would already be messing around with
        changewheels on the banjo on the rare occasions when I set up for LH
        threading. So, it wouldn't be too much trouble to fit an extra idler
        at the same time. I put it on an arm, to swing in and out of position
        as required, rather than screwing its mounting stud in and out of the
        headstock, but that was only so I don't lose it.

        Of course, if you need to reverse on a regular basis, a tumbler would
        be very worthwhile.

        Andy.

        --- "Augustine Rodriguez" <gusrod1948@...> wrote:

        .... Right now, I'm leaning toward the Grizzly 11x26 lathe since
        that's the biggest lathe that I have room for and I'm real curious
        about making a tumbler reverse for it, among other things....

      • oldstudentmsgt
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
          Good Grief, Tony, no! ;)

          But if you own a lathe and mill, you can sometimes keep them happier
          with you without a great deal of money.

          Gus, Welcome. I'm about a decade younger than you, and don't build
          bikes, and am retired Air Force, but I've gotten a 7x10 HF model 93212,
          and an old Atlas MF horizontal mill to play with. My most complex
          project so far has been blade guides for the old Craftsman bandsaw I'm
          fixing to use in my workshop. Not much time to play, and the workshop
          was a crammed-full storage room with leaky walls at the beginning of
          the summer, still difficult to walk through, but I've found a second
          horizontal surface. I think it might be a workbench. Excavation
          continues!

          Bill in OKC

          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Smith" <ajsmith@...> wrote:
          I need a hobby to get away from my hobby. I wonder if women are cheaper.

          Tony
        • Andrew Franks
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
            There are indeed many recipes around for tumbler reverse mechanisms,
            Norman. But I'm both inexperienced and lazy, and my simple approach
            was easier to make. It takes about 30 seconds to set up, provided I
            can lay my hands on the right Allen key :) I use it so infrequently
            that the time spent in making a proper tumbler would take many years
            to recoup.
            Further, my lathe was under warranty at the time, and my solution
            didn't involve drilling/tapping any new holes in it.

            You're right about speeds. My Warco-badged Weiss 7x12 is belt driven,
            and a smaller motor pulley has slowed it down. Though the minimum
            usable rpm is now around 70, a spindle handcrank eliminates the drama
            when screwcutting up to a shoulder. Also surprisingly effective when
            parting off, as I found when a stall halfway through blew the fuse,
            and I didn't have a replacement to hand.

            Andy

            --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Atkinson" <norman@...>
            wrote:

            > Andrew,
            > Reversing one of these Chinky lathes is pretty ancient
            stuff.
            > I knew of the Model Engineer articles but thought- hmmm?
            > One answer is here in the files section for the 9x20 lathes.
            >
            > Somewhere in the Model Engineer is a set of articles on how to drop
            > the speeds. Buggering about with nothing lower than 100 rpm and
            this
            > translates to 130rpm for us Brits is a recipe for nervous
            breakdowns-
            > and broken tools.
            >
            > Lathemods could be full such things. I had a 9180 which was one
            with
            > Myford chucks etc- and I fitted it with an auxiliary table to take
            > George Thomas rear parting off tool post and a vertical slide and
            > vice and a small dividing head.
            >
            > It's only a matter of using the information which is still
            available.

            > Cheers
            >
            > Norman

          • Gus Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
              Hi Lee,

              Yeah, you got some really nice stuff. I'll probably do something similar when I get the chance. I've been wanting to upgrade the handwheels on my table saw and radial saw, but the one I really want to do is to rebuild the table on my bandsaw with a wormdrive or rack to give me a fine adjustment. I'm still waiting till after the holidays to get my lathe and milling machine, but don't get me wrong ... I've got almost everything else a man could want! LOL. Oh, and everyone calls me "Gus". Thanks.

              ... Gus

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
                Hey Bill,

                Thanks, I got a chuckle out of that one! I know what you mean. The ole' lady decided to convert the garage into a diningroom a couple of years ago and ended up piling everything else into an 8x10 storage shed. I tore down the shed and built a 10x16 workshop with a 10x10 loft but still do a lot of my stuff outside. My smithy is outdoors, next to my shop (which is where I want it anyway), but it includes a small covered area for my chopsaw, a worktable and my anvil. Only the forge (covered with it's own hood) and my quenching vats are completely outside. Then my welding is done on the patio, under a porch for adequate ventilation and so is my table saw, although I can roll it into the shed for storage or bad weather when I want to, but it takes up a lot of floor space. The radial saw is inside the workshop, along with the bandsaw and fullsize drill press. I store my welders and air compressor in the workshop, along with almost every kind of portable powertool you can think of. When I get the lathe and milling machine in the near future, I plan on adding another small room (8x10?) to the end of the existing shed. It will probably be a bit cramped, but I should still be able to get around behind the machines when I need to. The biggest problem I foresee is that with a 500 pound lathe and 700 pound milling machine, I won't have any way of getting them inside ... so I will literally have to build the room around them! More fun!

                The old lady still works but when she retires in a few years we're thinking of moving out to the country, where I'll be able to build a proper workshop (20x40 with a loft for storage sounds good).

                ... Gus

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
                  Thanks for the insight, Andy. Yes, I will need one on a regular basis. On tricycles with nuts holding the wheel hubs to the axles, the right side has a  right hand thread, where the wheel rotation acts to tighten the nut but the other side needs to be left hand threaded to work the same way. In my latest design, a solid, oversize axle of approximately 19mm is mounted to the chassis via the suspension system (springs) and is unsupported on the outside of the wheel, so only one nut is required on the outboard side of each rear wheel.

                  In ideal circumstances, the wheel should rotate freely on it's bearings with no thrust to the retaining nut, but if the bearing drags, it could work the nut loose with disastrous results.

                  I can hardly wait!  I can already see the chips curling off in my dreams at night! LOL.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
                    Ok Gus, Well We Machinest want to see the pictures of your new equipment so hope you get a digital camera for xmas to take those pics for us foryou to share on the grups page.  Cap

                    Cap..

                    Don't Give Up The Ship..!!!!!!!

                  • Gus Rodriguez
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 20, 2008
                      Sure, Cap.

                      I wore out the megapixels in my last one. I think it still has one or two pixels left, but that's about it! If no one gives me one, I'll buy it myself. I've been wanting to take pics of my entire shop layout to show that you can indeed work in a closet. All you gotta do is hold your breath long enough to get things done.

                      Christmas is an expensive proposition for me. I had five kids and from those kids I have 17 grandkids and 5 great grandkids!
                      In my house, Santa's gotta wait till AFTER Christmas to get his toys ... but that's ok ... mine cost more!

                      ... Gus

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 21, 2008
                        > Good Grief, Tony, no! ;)
                        >
                        > But if you own a lathe and mill, you can sometimes keep them happier
                        > with you without a great deal of money.

                        Yeah, I'm not that naïve. :)

                        Reminds me of a thread on another list, where I said building something (CNC
                        drill press for circuit boards) can save you cash, meaning...

                        > > The money you save can be spent on better
                        > > things, like booze, hookers and blackjack.

                        Back came a response:

                        > Check out another yahoo group "homedistillers"
                        > and quit gambling then you can have extra
                        > money left over and you can pay the hookers
                        > to drill your PCBs for you :D

                        Wise words, there's a man who's thought things thru!

                        Tony
                      • rebmc@verizon.net
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 27, 2008

                          I am a new member, not a spammer. Micro Lux 7X14 and Mini mill
                        • oldstudentmsgt
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 28, 2008
                            Welcome, not-a-spammer. Got anything else you'd prefer we call you? ;)

                            Bill in OKC
                          • rebmc@verizon.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 28, 2008
                              I could say happily divorced since I can spent on my tooling instead of supporting walmart