Threading Question

  • jimclementssr
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
      Has anyone been able to cut a 30tpi thread, I know it is not on the
      chart but I thought maybe a different combo of gears may achieve the
      result. I am trying to go into an exhisting piece that I cannot change
      the thread on, so I must thread the new piece to the 30 tpi. Any
      suggestions would be great.
      Jim
    • Kevin Jones
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
        LMS has a calculator for just about any TPI you can imagine:

        http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Reference/change_gears.php

        For 30tpi it gives three possibilities gear cominations:

        A B C D
        20 60 80 50
        40 50 40 60
        40 60 40 50

        Just remember that the threading dial will not work with this TPI.
        You'll have to keep the carriage engaged to the lead screw and run
        the carriage back to the start by putting the motor in reverse for
        each cutting pass (don't forget to retract the cutting tool when you do that.).

        Regards,
        Kevin Jones
        Lousville, KY
      • jimclementssr@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
          after sending the original question I realized I never said that I have a 9x20.  I dont believe that chart will work for my appication, any other ideas?

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
            What size/diameter, it's quite possible that this is an ME thread, taps and
            dies are available.
            Frank.

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
              the diameter is 1.825 and 30 tpi...I acutally called to manufacturer to verify.

              From: "Frank Hasieber" <fhasieber@...>

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
                On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:12:22 +0200, you wrote:

                >What size/diameter, it's quite possible that this is an ME thread, taps and
                >dies are available.
                >Frank.

                Unlikely at 30tpi; ME threads are typically 32 or 40tpi.

                - Brian
              • jimclementssr@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008

                  I actually called yankee hill machine, the maker of the unit that I am trying to make a shroud for, and they are the ones that told me it is 1.825 diameter and 30 tpi thread for the insert.  Any help would be great.

                  From: Brian Drummond <brian@...>

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
                    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:33:24 +0000, you wrote:

                    >after sending the original question I realized I never said that I have a 9x20.
                    >I dont believe that chart will work for my appication, any other ideas?

                    To widen the chance of getting a response... what is the leadscrew pitch
                    on your machine? It is possible the 9*20 is sold in more than one
                    configuration, e.g. metric and imperial; using the wrong chart wouldn't
                    help you!

                    It might also be worth listing the changewheels available.

                    What does the chart for your machine recommend for a closely related
                    thread, e.g. 20tpi? If it involves a 40t driven gear, for example, you
                    could substitute a 60t gear to get 30tpi.

                    - Brian
                  • John Stanton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
                      A very good solution would be John Dammeyer's ELS Electronic Lead Screw
                      kit. It comes out of Canada and sells for about $200, you supply the
                      motor, power supply and spindle position encoder.
                      http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/
                      JS

                    • jimclementssr@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 16, 2008
                        I do have the 9x20 with 16 tpi lead screw..I just didnt understand the chart in relation to my machine.

                        From: Brian Drummond <brian@...>

                        On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:33:24 +0000, you wrote:

                        >after sending the original question I realized I never said that I have a 9x20.
                        >I dont believe that chart will work for my appication, any other ideas?

                        To widen the chance of getting a response... what is the leadscrew pitch
                        on your machine? It is possible the 9*20 is sold in more than one
                        configuration, e.g. metric and imperial; using the wrong chart wouldn't
                        help you!

                        It might also be worth listing the changewheels available.

                        What does the chart for your machine recommend for a closely related
                        thread, e.g. 20tpi? If it involves a 40t driven gear, for example, you
                        could substitute a 60t gear to get 30tpi.

                        - Brian

                      • roylowenthal
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 17, 2008
                          The threading dial will work just fine for 30 TPI! The only time it
                          won't work is for the irrational decimal pitches of metric
                          approximations on an English lead screw lathe. It works for any
                          integer pitch (& probably for multiples of 1/2 - don't own a 9x, so I
                          can't go look at it.)

                          Roy

                        • jimclementssr@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 17, 2008
                            I guess where I am lost is how do the abcd apply to my 9x if I dont have the same gear arangement ?  And I also have a 1-9 on my leadscrew, is that the "d" ?

                            From: "roylowenthal" <roylowenthal@...>

                          • anthrhodes@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 17, 2008
                              Jim,

                              You've now stated that you have a 9x20 with a 16 TPI leadscrew but that only helps if the person providing assistance is familiar with your lathe. It was suggested that you should list your change gears which you haven't done.

                              From your question it's reasonable to presume you do not have a QC gearbox. Additionally, since you haven't objected to the gears quoted in "5s" I presume that, as is common with many small asian lathes, your gears are also by "5s".

                              If you have these gears the simplest gear train for 30 TPI from a 16 TPI leadscrew is 40 on the stud, 75 on the leadscrew, any idlers. Presuming no 75 a reasonable alternative would be 40 stud driving 25 on the intermediate stud followed by 20 also on intermediate stud driving 60 on the leadscrew.

                              To illustrate why it's necessary to know the gears and the limitations of how they can be set on your machine,the equivalent setup for an Atlas 6 would replace the 40 and 75 with 32 and 60. Trouble is there's no 60 available so we do substitutions on the alternative train, thus 40, 25, 20 and 60 become 32, 20, 16 and 48. Unfortunately there is no separate 16 but there is a 16 as one of the two gears on the stud so simply swap the two driver gears which won't affect the overall ratio. Now we have 16 stud driving 20 followed by 32 driving 48 on the leadscrew. This train would have interference where the 16 drives the 20 so just put in an extra idler, for which there is room on the Atlas.

                              First lesson, you now have two possible gear trains for 30 TPI. Second lesson, if you want help provide as much information as you can to make it easier for the person providing the help.

                              Anthony
                              Berkeley, Calif.
                              In a message dated Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:17 am (PDT), Jim writes:
                              after sending the original question I realized I never said that I have a 9x20. I dont believe that chart will work for my appication, any other ideas?

                            • wishbone_aaa
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 18, 2008
                                Go to Marv Klotz's site and download the file change.zip
                                http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/

                                Marv has a collection useful math utilities for the home shop.

                                DOn

                                --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "jimclementssr" <jimclementssr@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Has anyone been able to cut a 30tpi thread, I know it is not on the
                                > chart but I thought maybe a different combo of gears may achieve the
                                > result. I am trying to go into an exhisting piece that I cannot
                                change
                                > the thread on, so I must thread the new piece to the 30 tpi. Any
                                > suggestions would be great.
                                > Jim

                              • wishbone_aaa
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 18, 2008
                                  I've added the link to the group's links section.

                                • jimclementssr@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 18, 2008
                                    I really appreciate the responses.  I have a Harbor Freight 9x20.  How I was confused was how the ABCD apply to my lathe...

                                    Jim

                                    From: anthrhodes@...

                                    Jim,

                                    You've now stated that you have a 9x20 with a 16 TPI leadscrew but that only helps if the person providing assistance is familiar with your lathe. It was suggested that you should list your change gears which you haven't done.

                                    From your question it's reasonable to presume you do not have a QC gearbox. Additionally, since you haven't objected to the gears quoted in "5s" I presume that, as is common with many small asian lathes, your gears are also by "5s".

                                    ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *
                                    In a message dated Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:17 am (PDT), Jim writes:
                                    after sending the original question I realized I never said that I have a 9x20. I dont believe that chart will work for my appication, any other ideas?

                                  • Robert E. Hawley
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 18, 2008
                                      If you are member of the 9X20 Yahoo lathe group go to the files section and down load John Pitkins pdf of the gearing for these lathes.  The thread you want is in his chart.  While there, in the files section, take a look at the file that shows the differences between these machines very interesting.  Bob

                                      Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:09 PM
                                      Subject: Re: [mlathemods] Threading Question

                                      I do have the 9x20 with 16 tpi lead screw..I just didnt understand the chart in relation to my machine.

                                      From: Brian Drummond <brian@shapes. demon.co. uk>

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 18, 2008
                                        On the 7x lathes, "A" is the gear driven by the spindle gear, "B" is
                                        the gear driven by "A", "C" is on the same intermediate shaft as "B"
                                        & is keyed to "B", "D" is the gear mounted to the leadscrew.

                                        For threading, you want a gear combo that turns the leadscrew at the
                                        ratio of (lead screw pitch)/(desired thread pitch). For 30 tpi, you
                                        need a combo that'll give you a 16/30 (8/15 if you simplify) ratio.
                                        You can either laboriously work out the available combos with the
                                        gears you've got or join the 9x group & use the chart;-)

                                        I'm a little confused by the "have a 1-9 on my leadscrew"; do you
                                        mean the threading dial is marked "1-9"? They've usually got 8
                                        divisions, marked 1-7. For production work, where time is money, you
                                        can refer to the chart in the owner's manual for which divisions
                                        allow re-engaging the half nuts for various thread pitches; for those
                                        of us that are less hurried, we simply always re-engage at the same
                                        number each time.

                                        Roy

                                      • jimclementssr@comcast.net
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 19, 2008
                                          What I ment to say was that I have to select a 1-9 position to engauge my leadscrew.  Yes, my threading dial has the 1-7.

                                          From: "roylowenthal" <roylowenthal@...>

                                          On the 7x lathes, "A" is the gear driven by the spindle gear, "B" is
                                          the gear driven by "A", "C" is on the same intermediate shaft as "B"
                                          & is keyed to "B", "D" is the gear mounted to the leadscrew.

                                          For threading, you want a gear combo that turns the leadscrew at the
                                          ratio of (lead screw pitch)/(desired thread pitch). For 30 tpi, you
                                          need a combo that'll give you a 16/30 (8/15 if you simplify) ratio.
                                          You can either laboriously work out the available combos with the
                                          gears you've got or join the 9x group & use the chart;-)

                                          I'm a little confused by the "have a 1-9 on my leadscrew"; do you
                                          mean the threading dial is marked "1-9"? They've usually got 8
                                          divisions, marked 1-7. For production work, where time is money, you
                                          can refer to the chart in the owner's manual for which divisions
                                          allow re-engaging the half nuts for various thread pitches; for those
                                          of us that are less hurried, we simply always re-engage at the same
                                          number each time.

                                          Roy

                                          --- In mlathemods@yahoogro ups.com, jimclementssr@ ... wrote:

                                          > I guess where I am lost is how do the abcd apply to my 9x if I dont
                                          have the same gear arangement ? And I also have a 1-9 on my
                                          leadscrew, is that the "d" ?

                                          > From: "roylowenthal" <roylowenthal@ ...>
                                          > The threading dial will work just fine for 30 TPI! The only time it
                                          > won't work is for the irrational decimal pitches of metric
                                          > approximations on an English lead screw lathe. It works for any
                                          > integer pitch (& probably for multiples of 1/2 - don't own a 9x, so
                                          > can't go look at it.)
                                          >
                                          > Roy
                                          >
                                          > --- In mlathemods@yahoogro ups.com, Kevin Jones <krjone01@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > ; >
                                          > > LMS has a calculator for just about any TPI you can imagine:
                                          > >
                                          > > http://www.littlema chineshop. com/Reference/ change_gears. php
                                          > >
                                          > > For 30tpi it gives three possibilities gear cominations:
                                          > >
                                          > > A B C D
                                          > > 20 60 80 50
                                          > > 40 50 40 60
                                          > > 40 60 40 50
                                          > >
                                          > > Just remember that the threading dial will not work with this
                                          TPI.
                                          > > You'll have to keep the carriage engaged to the lead screw and
                                          run
                                          > > the carriage back to the start by putting the motor in reverse
                                          for
                                          > > each cutting pass (don't forget to retract the cutting tool when
                                          > you do that.).
                                          > >
                                          > > Regards,
                                          > > Kevin Jones
                                          > > Lousville, KY

                                        • Randy Smith
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 19, 2008
                                            Jim; Sending this direct to you.

                                            The YAHOO group "9x20Lathe" has tons of information about the 9x20 size
                                            lathes sold by numerous distributors including HF, Grizzly, Cummins, and
                                            many others.

                                            I've attached a PDF file to this email with all the threading combinations.

                                            Again; I highly recommend the 9x20Lathe group. It is a very active
                                            group and there is tons of information there a links to still more
                                            information.

                                            --

                                            Later.... Randy S
                                            mailto:randyrls@...

                                          • JimClementssr@comcast.net
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 19, 2008
                                              Thanks so much Randy, I think this should do the trick.
                                              Jim

                                              mailto:randyrls@comcast. net