Re: Radius machining

  • squidsrus85
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Josh" <jkb621@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      > I have different radii 12", 8 1/2", 6" ect.

      For an English wheel the radii need only be close to what you want as
      it is all point contact with the flat forming wheel. The defined
      radius just prevents you from going tighter than that dimension. It is
      not intended to make a perfect 12" radius hemisphere for instance. You
      are not working in thousandths with an English wheel. <grin>

      Given that, you could make some sheet metal templates of the radii you
      need and then rough each wheel with the lathe then clean up with a 10"
      Lathe file then a 10" mill bastard file and finally emery.

      If you have never used and English wheel, watch for blood spurting
      from under finger nails. LOL

      Dave
    • Bill Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
        A Yoder hammer has its perils too! Bill in Boulder

        squidsrus85 wrote:
        > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Josh" <jkb621@...> wrote:
        >
        > Hi,
        >

        >> I have different radii 12", 8 1/2", 6" ect.
        >>

        > For an English wheel the radii need only be close to what you want as
        > it is all point contact with the flat forming wheel. The defined
        > radius just prevents you from going tighter than that dimension. It is
        > not intended to make a perfect 12" radius hemisphere for instance. You
        > are not working in thousandths with an English wheel. <grin>
        >
        > Given that, you could make some sheet metal templates of the radii you
        > need and then rough each wheel with the lathe then clean up with a 10"
        > Lathe file then a 10" mill bastard file and finally emery.
        >
        > If you have never used and English wheel, watch for blood spurting
        > from under finger nails. LOL
        >
        > Dave

      • Jim E.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2008
          (pardon the late reply, was on vacation)

          try the "ballcut" program at http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/.

          Graciously,
          Jim E.
          Lakewood, CA