Re: [mlathemods] Radius machining

  • Gene Horr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
      Set up the lathe as a mill with a rotary table sitting off to the
      side. You'll probably want to rig something to move the radius table
      against the bit in the lathe. You'll also need to mount the rotary
      table assembly higher than the lathe bed.

      Gene Horr

      On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Josh <jkb621@...> wrote:
      > I would like to know if anyone could tell me a good way to but a 12"
      > radius on something with smaller lathe. I have a 9x30 bench top. I am
      > trying to make the lower anvils for a english wheel I am making and
      > the radii have to be correct for the metal to stretch correctly. I
      > have different radii 12", 8 1/2", 6" ect.
      > Thanks for any help
    • squidsrus85
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Josh" <jkb621@...> wrote:

        Hi,

        > I have different radii 12", 8 1/2", 6" ect.

        For an English wheel the radii need only be close to what you want as
        it is all point contact with the flat forming wheel. The defined
        radius just prevents you from going tighter than that dimension. It is
        not intended to make a perfect 12" radius hemisphere for instance. You
        are not working in thousandths with an English wheel. <grin>

        Given that, you could make some sheet metal templates of the radii you
        need and then rough each wheel with the lathe then clean up with a 10"
        Lathe file then a 10" mill bastard file and finally emery.

        If you have never used and English wheel, watch for blood spurting
        from under finger nails. LOL

        Dave
      • Bill Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2008
          A Yoder hammer has its perils too! Bill in Boulder

          squidsrus85 wrote:
          > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Josh" <jkb621@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi,
          >

          >> I have different radii 12", 8 1/2", 6" ect.
          >>

          > For an English wheel the radii need only be close to what you want as
          > it is all point contact with the flat forming wheel. The defined
          > radius just prevents you from going tighter than that dimension. It is
          > not intended to make a perfect 12" radius hemisphere for instance. You
          > are not working in thousandths with an English wheel. <grin>
          >
          > Given that, you could make some sheet metal templates of the radii you
          > need and then rough each wheel with the lathe then clean up with a 10"
          > Lathe file then a 10" mill bastard file and finally emery.
          >
          > If you have never used and English wheel, watch for blood spurting
          > from under finger nails. LOL
          >
          > Dave

        • Jim E.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20, 2008
            (pardon the late reply, was on vacation)

            try the "ballcut" program at http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/.

            Graciously,
            Jim E.
            Lakewood, CA