new machine --- cleaning up and which grease to use ...

  • builderbob54
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hello everyone ... and happy new year!!!
      Just getting into hobby metal working, purchased a Grizzly G4000
      lathe and a G0463 mill. Setting up my garage and small workshop and am
      about to clean off the packing gunk. I believe I have read that white
      lithium grease should be used for bedways, threads, gears etc. for
      lube and protection of these areas. My queston is I have bearing and
      chassis grease -- green in color -- is this okay for a substitute or
      should I just track down the white lithium? Obviously would like to
      use the best for the job.
      Thanks in advance for the replies... Bob.
    • Browne Altman
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 6, 2008
        One thing that confuses many people is that WD-40 is NOT a lubricant.

        It is a Water Dispersent, hence WD. It is the 40th formula tried, WD-
        40.

        It does have many other uses such as desolving adhesives, and removing
        paint from your hands but it is not good for lubricating.

        I hope that this keeps someone from in effect running their machine
        dry.