Re: [mlathemods] Re:Wise Owl (was Model Engineer's Workshop)

  • David Clark
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi THere
      Magicalia are not geared up to do subscriptions direct.

      They use a subscription company in the UK as well as
      in the US.

      EWA have given excellent results to Two, a motorbike
      magazine taken over by Magicalia a few months back.

      Give them a chance and I am sure the will work out well
      for Model Engineers Workshop.
      regards David

      At 23:50 30/11/2007, you wrote:

      >Add me to the list of people that have been screwed by Wise Owl. I
      >tried to buy "The Model Engineers Worshop Manual" from them in
      >Febuary. After about a month they stopped responding to emails or
      >phone messages, and in about June I gave up and bought another copy
      >from Hemingways in the UK (same price by the way and it arrived in
      >about a week).
      >
      >I still email Wise Owl everytime I buy a book to let them know that I
      >bought it from someone else, and to remind them that they owe me
      >$46. I've never had a reply.
      >
      >Mike
      >
      >--- In
      ><mailto:mlathemods%40yahoogroups.com>mlathemods@yahoogroups.com,
      >"Robert E. Hawley"
      ><roberthawley_3@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I too lost the price of a book through Wise Owl, I ordered it then
      >forgot about it when I remembered it I emailed them. They never
      >responded and I never got the book, never ordered another thing from
      >them. When it was time to renew my Model Engineer Workshop I went to
      >Magicalia's web site and ordered from there to cut out Wise Owl.
      >They
      >still gave my order to EWA, I think that is wrong but what can you
      >do
      >they are across the pond and the legal recourse would cost more than
      >the magazine. Bob Hawley

    • David Graves
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
        Wise Owl defrauded me as well both for ME and MEW and I thought I would
        tell you what I did. I complained to the Attorney General of CA (state
        where Wise Owl is located) as well as the CA Better Business Bureau.
        A.G. basically said "Gee, that's too bad. Why don't you hire an
        attorney?" BBB said "We will contact them and get back to you." Months
        later, BBB said, "We haven't heard from them but will try again."

        With regard to Magicalia and EWA, I also would wait and give them a
        chance to fix things up. The real problem was Wise Owl, and both other
        outfits did seem to be trying to get things back in order the few times
        I contacted them.

        Perhaps a few more people could try contacting the CA Attorney General's
        office. If they get enough complaints, it would seem that they might
        have to do something. Or perhaps someone from CA with a lot of energy
        might want to contact a big newspaper like the San Francisco Examiner
        and have them do an expose on how their attorney general is not doing
        his job. Not being a Californian, I don't have much clout.
      • James W. Early
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
          David
          Unfortunately our attorney general is more interested in pursuing companies that produce jobs in Kalifornia than companies that defraud their customers. He is a whole hearted convert to the new religion being promoted by the prophet Big Al and is determined to stop any American company that manufactures anything at all from staying in business just like he did when he was governor and his father did when he was governor.

          In this state the only people with clout are con men and defrauders of the welfare system.

          Be wary of strong drink. It can
          make you shoot at tax
          collectors... and miss.
          Robert A. Heinlein

          From: David Graves <graves@...>

          > Wise Owl defrauded me as well both for ME and MEW and I thought I would
          > tell you what I did. I complained to the Attorney General of CA (state
          > where Wise Owl is located) as well as the CA Better Business Bureau.
          > A.G. basically said "Gee, that's too bad. Why don't you hire an
          > attorney?" BBB said "We will contact them and get back to you." Months
          > later, BBB said, "We haven't heard from them but will try again."
          >
          > With regard to Magicalia and EWA, I also would wait and give them a
          > chance to fix things up. The real problem was Wise Owl, and both other
          > outfits did seem to be trying to get things back in order the few times
          > I contacted them.
          >
          > Perhaps a few more people could try contacting the CA Attorney General's
          > office. If they get enough complaints, it would seem that they might
          > have to do something. Or perhaps someone from CA with a lot of energy
          > might want to contact a big newspaper like the San Francisco Examiner
          > and have them do an expose on how their attorney general is not doing
          > his job. Not being a Californian, I don't have much clout.

        • David Lee
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
            Unfortunately our attorney general is more interested in pursuing companies
            that produce jobs in Kalifornia than companies that defraud their customers.
            He is a whole hearted convert to the new religion being promoted by the
            prophet Big Al and is determined to stop any American company that
            manufactures anything at all from staying in business just like he did when
            he was governor and his father did when he was governor.

            In this state the only people with clout are con men and defrauders of the
            welfare system.

            [David Lee replies->] That ain't just your state Mr. Early. I'm beginning
            to think it's every state. The was a time when New Hampshire encouraged
            cottage industry but now, with all the narrow-backs (my name for liberals)
            moved up from Massachusetts, NH is beginning to be the "People's Republic of
            New Hampshire".

            From: David Graves <graves@...>

            > Wise Owl defrauded me as well both for ME and MEW and I thought I would
            > tell you what I did. I complained to the Attorney General of CA (state
            > where Wise Owl is located) as well as the CA Better Business Bureau.
            > A.G. basically said "Gee, that's too bad. Why don't you hire an
            > attorney?" BBB said "We will contact them and get back to you." Months
            > later, BBB said, "We haven't heard from them but will try again."
            >
            > With regard to Magicalia and EWA, I also would wait and give them a
            > chance to fix things up. The real problem was Wise Owl, and both other
            > outfits did seem to be trying to get things back in order the few times
            > I contacted them.
            >
            > Perhaps a few more people could try contacting the CA Attorney General's
            > office. If they get enough complaints, it would seem that they might
            > have to do something. Or perhaps someone from CA with a lot of energy
            > might want to contact a big newspaper like the San Francisco Examiner
            > and have them do an expose on how their attorney general is not doing
            > his job. Not being a Californian, I don't have much clout.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            8:34 PM

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            8:34 PM