Re: [mlathemods] subscriptions for MEW

  • Ellis Cory
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 21, 2007
      Edwin wrote.......There seems to be a building series of complaints from North American subscribers concerning poor results from EWA, myself among them. ........

      As the editor reads these pages I am surprised he hasn't answered. Perhaps an email directly to him, by all concerned, will get some action ?
      ATB
                Ellis
    • dnaman43
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 22, 2007
        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Ellis Cory" <ellis103@...> wrote:

        > As the editor reads these pages I am surprised he hasn't answered.
        Perhaps an email directly to him, by all concerned, will get some
        action ?

        In fact, this was an action I took on my problems back in September.
        His response was to refer the matter back to the subscription
        department (albeit perhaps higher up the chain) which I'd been banging
        my head against for some time.

        (Nor would I expect him to do more - he is simply the editor of MEW
        after all, not the boss of Magicalia and I just contacted him because
        I had nothing to lose by doing so. I have no complaint against him).

        In any event, at that time (possibly the same day) I was informed by
        the Magicalia subscription dept that they were bouncing me to EWA and
        refusing further discussion. Unfortunately they didn't pass along any
        history of my problems so I was back to square one.
      • dnaman43
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 22, 2007
          Hallelujah!

          Issue 131 just arrived ... this is the first one that EWA sent out and
          they said their mailing was on 12 Nov so that's not bad at all. I also
          believe from the mailing label that they now have my last issue date
          corrected so perhaps my problems are (almost) over.

          "Almost" because Issue 130 (the last of the Magicalia mailings) is
          still AWOL.
        • Edwin Feuer
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 22, 2007
            There seems to be a building series of complaints from North American subscribers concerning poor results from EWA, myself among them. For example: I got a letter from them dated Oct. 8 2007stating my subscription expired with #84 and the most recent issue mailed from UK was  #130. Say what? I also got an email from them dated Oct. 4 2007 stating my subscription was valid thru issue #139 (this seems correct) and the last issue mailed to me was #130. Actually the last issue I got is #128. I hesitate to query EWA based on lack of response reported by other North American subscribers. I am directing this to you in the hope that you can use your good offices to put matters right Some have already said they will not renew because it's not worth the hassle. I have subscribed since the beginning and to ME for about 30 yrs. Love both and hope you can help your brothers across the pond. Thank You and regards - Edwin
          • dnaman43
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 29, 2007
              Another week gone by and still no sign of Issue-130.

              Has anyone else (in North America) received #130 (the last issue sent
              by Magicalia dated Oct 2007)? (#131 was sent by EWA and I received it
              promptly)

              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "dnaman43" <mevagissy@...> wrote:

              > Hallelujah!
              >
              > Issue 131 just arrived ... this is the first one that EWA sent out
              and
              > they said their mailing was on 12 Nov so that's not bad at all. I
              also
              > believe from the mailing label that they now have my last issue date
              > corrected so perhaps my problems are (almost) over.
              >
              > "Almost" because Issue 130 (the last of the Magicalia mailings) is
              > still AWOL.

            • Robert E. Hawley
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 29, 2007
                Same story here, I have received the EWA issue but no 130.  EWA told me not to plan on getting it.  Seems kinda odd seeing how its paid for.  Bob

                Another week gone by and still no sign of Issue-130.

                Has anyone else (in North America) received #130 (the last issue sent
                by Magicalia dated Oct 2007)? (#131 was sent by EWA and I received it
                promptly)

                --- In mlathemods@yahoogro ups.com, "dnaman43" <mevagissy@. ..> wrote:

                > Hallelujah!
                >
                > Issue 131 just arrived ... this is the first one that EWA sent out
                and
                > they said their mailing was on 12 Nov so that's not bad at all.
                also
                > believe from the mailing label that they now have my last
                issue date
                > corrected so perhaps my problems are (almost) over.
                >
                > "Almost" because Issue 130 (the last of the Magicalia mailings) is
                > still
                AWOL.

              • dnaman43
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 29, 2007
                  What they (EWA) are saying to me - and I believe them - is that they
                  are emailing Magicalia every day to find out when #130 was shipped
                  but getting no response. When I had my earlier problems with my
                  subscription through Wise Owl, Wise Owl said exactly the same
                  thing ... they kept contacting Magicalia but could get no response.

                  In any event, Issue-130 is in the bookstore here and EWA told me to
                  go ahead and buy it and they will extend my subscription. Which is
                  pretty decent of them since they are just the "man in the middle" for
                  this issue. So I'll do that tomorrow.

                  In fact, I should perhaps make it clear that I'm not criticising EWA
                  in any respect in this thread. My dealings with them have always been
                  good, they respond promptly and to the point and they have been very
                  fair.

                  --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E. Hawley"

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 30, 2007
                      Hi There
                      I have just rang Magicalia.
                      There is a problem with issue 130.
                      Shame no one told me.
                      The whole batch of 130 to America was not received from the printers.
                      I don't know why this has happened.
                      Magicalia are doing everything possible to get as many copies sent
                      out as possible.
                      regards David
                      Editor Model Engineers' Workshop.

                      At 21:28 29/11/2007, you wrote:

                      >Another week gone by and still no sign of Issue-130.
                      >
                      >Has anyone else (in North America) received #130 (the last issue sent
                      >by Magicalia dated Oct 2007)? (#131 was sent by EWA and I received it
                      >promptly)
                      >
                      >--- In
                      ><mailto:mlathemods%40yahoogroups.com>mlathemods@yahoogroups.com,
                      >"dnaman43" <mevagissy@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hallelujah!
                      > >
                      > > Issue 131 just arrived ... this is the first one that EWA sent out
                      >and
                      > > they said their mailing was on 12 Nov so that's not bad at all. I
                      >also
                      > > believe from the mailing label that they now have my last issue date
                      > > corrected so perhaps my problems are (almost) over.
                      > >
                      > > "Almost" because Issue 130 (the last of the Magicalia mailings) is
                      > > still AWOL.

                    • David Clark
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 30, 2007
                        Hi There
                        Issue 130 appears to have been lost in transit.
                        Magicalia have been collecting copies from wherever they can
                        and a quantity have just been posted to subscribers.

                        Magicalia are trying to get further copies.
                        regards David

                      • anthrhodes@aol.com

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 30, 2007
                            <roberthawley_3@...> wrote:

                            > Don't miss understand what I said either. EWA told me not to plan
                            on getting the issue from Magicalia I received the one from EWA so
                            therefore my statement was about Magicalia.

                            Yes, I quite understood that, Bob

                            I think it is very wrong for a company to sell a product then tell
                            you that because they have sold the overseas part to another party
                            they cant deal with you. If that is not insulting to you it is very
                            insulting to me, to me its like saying we have your money and there is
                            nothing you can do, very poor business.

                            Agree 100%. What really put my nose out of joint was that Magicalia
                            did this to me 2 - 3 weeks after I took out a subscription with
                            them ... knowing that I had done so after cancelling my subscription
                            through Wise Owl because of the difficulties of dealing with my
                            subscription problems through a third party.
                          • dnaman43
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 30, 2007
                              Thanks for the effort, David but for my part I gave up and bought the
                              missing issue from the bookstore. It will be taken off the shelves in
                              a few days, there is some "must have" content in that issue for me and
                              I no longer have confidence in Magicalia's subscription department.

                              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, David Clark
                              <david.anthony.clark@...> wrote:

                              > Hi There
                              > I have just rang Magicalia.
                              > There is a problem with issue 130.
                              > Shame no one told me.
                              > The whole batch of 130 to America was not received from the printers.
                              > I don't know why this has happened.
                              > Magicalia are doing everything possible to get as many copies sent
                              > out as possible.
                            • Ellis Cory
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 1, 2007
                                David wrote........The whole batch of 130 to America was not received from the printers........

                                They weren't burnt onto 2 CD's by any chance ???
                                UK government news joke.
                                ATB
                                        Ellis
                              • anthrhodes@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 1, 2007
                                  David,

                                  As you are in a better position to comunicate with management, please tell them that they are obligated to deliver to us what they sold us. I ididn't subscribe to receive whatever issues they could bother sending as long as I received full count, I subscribed to receive specific issues. One of those issues is #130 which I have not yet received. I expect Magicalia to deliver this issue to me, come Hell or high water.

                                  I'm not taking you to task personally and greatly appreciate your continuing efforts on this matter. By the way, I'd like to remark on how very good the magazine has become since your assumption of the editorial reins.

                                  Anthony

                                  Magicalia are trying to get further copies.

                                • Marty Kollmorgen
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
                                    Magelica hired a "Solicitor's" firm to write a letter to the owner of
                                    this list -J.W.Early- literally forcing JWE to remove very old ME
                                    content from the files of this and other list that JWE hosts, with
                                    the false claim that JWE was in violation of copyright on these very
                                    old ME articles. See SFX8F8.pdf in the files of this group for the
                                    letter to JWE.
                                    It seems the shoe could now be on the other foot if Magelica
                                    unlawfully fails to live up to it's legal subscription commitments-

                                    "What goes around, comes around" as they say.....
                                    Wise Owl is a disaster, Magelica doesn't seem to be able to get it's
                                    act together....I hope the subscribers to ME and MEW get their
                                    missing issues.
                                    I won't give Magelica or Wise Owl with any further business for the
                                    foreseeable future, which doesn't look too bright for either
                                    vendor,,,,(grin)
                                    Marty

                                    -- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, anthrhodes@... wrote:

                                    > David,
                                    >
                                    > As you are in a better position to comunicate with management,
                                    please tell
                                    > them that they are obligated to deliver to us what they sold us. I
                                    ididn't
                                    > subscribe to receive whatever issues they could bother sending as
                                    long as I
                                    > received full count, I subscribed to receive specific issues. One
                                    of those issues is
                                    > #130 which I have not yet received. I expect Magicalia to deliver
                                    this issue
                                    > to me, come Hell or high water.
                                    >
                                    > I'm not taking you to task personally and greatly appreciate your
                                    continuing
                                    > efforts on this matter. By the way, I'd like to remark on how very
                                    good the
                                    > magazine has become since your assumption of the editorial reins.
                                    >
                                    > Anthony
                                    >
                                    > Magicalia are trying to get further copies.
                                    >

                                    > **************************************Check out AOL's list of
                                    2007's hottest
                                    > products.
                                    > (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?
                                    NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

                                  • James Early
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 2, 2007
                                      Marty
                                      The only business I ever did with Wise Owl was at shows where I could buy
                                      items cash and carry without them having to ship it. I checked their
                                      Torrance location several times and could see why they did not like or offer
                                      pickup service. ME has always had this problem with subscription services
                                      from the New York firm back in the 50s until today. Now there are a wide
                                      range of book suppliers that sell their books with good service from Sulfur
                                      Springs to the east coast Unimat dealer they all have decent service, but
                                      they do not do the magazines which leads me to believe from the comments in
                                      the past from some of our British brothers that the firm itself might just
                                      be the core of the problem. I do not really know for sure, but experience
                                      tells me it is true, they just do not have a customer friendly attitude
                                      about distribution period.

                                      > Magelica hired a "Solicitor's" firm to write a letter to the owner of
                                      > this list -J.W.Early- literally forcing JWE to remove very old ME
                                      > content from the files of this and other list that JWE hosts, with
                                      > the false claim that JWE was in violation of copyright on these very
                                      > old ME articles. See SFX8F8.pdf in the files of this group for the
                                      > letter to JWE.
                                      > It seems the shoe could now be on the other foot if Magelica
                                      > unlawfully fails to live up to it's legal subscription commitments-
                                      >
                                      > "What goes around, comes around" as they say.....
                                      > Wise Owl is a disaster, Magelica doesn't seem to be able to get it's
                                      > act together....I hope the subscribers to ME and MEW get their
                                      > missing issues.
                                      > I won't give Magelica or Wise Owl with any further business for the
                                      > foreseeable future, which doesn't look too bright for either
                                      > vendor,,,,(grin)
                                      > Marty
                                    • jjnitzh
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 3, 2007
                                        Was thinking of ordering a subscription for myself for Christmas. :-)
                                        Thanks for posting. Think I'll wait till they get the bugs sorted out
                                        of the system. Easter maybe???

                                        Someone please post if Magelica gets this sorted out and what the best
                                        method would be ie Magelica directly, Wise Owl, or someone else.

                                        Thanks

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 3, 2007
                                          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "jjnitzh" <jjnitzh@...> wrote:

                                          > Was thinking of ordering a subscription for myself for Christmas. :-)
                                          > Thanks for posting. Think I'll wait till they get the bugs sorted out
                                          > of the system. Easter maybe???
                                          >
                                          > Someone please post if Magelica gets this sorted out and what the
                                          best
                                          > method would be ie Magelica directly, Wise Owl, or someone else.

                                          If you are in North America, you don't have any choice. You have to
                                          get the subscription through EWA. Then again, I've had better luck
                                          with EWA that either Wise Owl or Magicalia.
                                        • Edwin Feuer
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 3, 2007
                                            As far as I am concerned EWA - the north american agent seems to have gotten its act together.I now am up to date with them. I'm still owed two issues from Magicalia, but David, the editor is working on that. From where I sit ,you could order a subscription from EWA with confidence. Enjoy - Ed
                                          • David Clark
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 4, 2007
                                              Hi There
                                              I think the bugs are out of the system.

                                              I had a phone call from John Stevenson, some of you may
                                              be aware of him from some other groups.

                                              He asked me to pass his thanks on to the subscriptions team.
                                              He ordered a new subscription last Thursday evening and his
                                              first copy arrived Monday Morning.

                                              Magicalia appear to have got their act together in the UK.
                                              I believe the US is working OK as well.

                                              All Wise Owl subscribers should be receiving a letter from Magicalia
                                              about subscription problems with wise Owl.

                                              This should sort out any remaining problems with individual subscribers.

                                              Please note, Magicalia are not responsible for book orders from Wise Owl.

                                              So, I would say order your subscription now with confidence.
                                              We have exciting articles planned for 2008.

                                              If you can get some spare copies of no 130 from your newsagents, you
                                              may be able to sell them on Ebay in the future.

                                              regards David

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                Hi There
                                                Not that I know of but we may use the same courier.
                                                regards David

                                                At 16:14 01/12/2007, you wrote:

                                                >David wrote........The whole batch of 130 to America was not
                                                >received from the printers........
                                                >
                                                >They weren't burnt onto 2 CD's by any chance ???
                                                >UK government news joke.
                                                >ATB
                                                > Ellis

                                              • James W. Early
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                  David
                                                  For some of our members who do not know to much about the publishing business maybe you should clarify what an editor does at a magazine and why he is only to blame for content and appearance, not distribution. I will say though that after MAP ceased operations in the mid 80s distribution and quality of the magazines went down rapidly after they shifted to slick format from the book quality stock they had used previously. The editors of both magazines has remained high quality throughout, it is the management and publishing operations that have suffered because to them it is just another slick rag for the news stand and they neither understand the content or care.

                                                  Most magazines today suffer from the same publisher neglect of low quality slick paper and almost unreadable DTP art deco page layout that looks good in Vanity Fair, but just does not work in a hobby-machining magazine. I guess I was spoiled by the high quality of the magazine during the ET Westbury years and the Martin Evans years when the editor actually controlled the magazine through all aspects, not just article content. But even in those golden years the North American distribution thing was chancier than a trip to Atlantic City or Las Vegas for getting your magazine anywhere but at a stocking retailer. I know, because I tried subscribing several times and ended up chasing down hobby stores that carried it during the week it was supposed to come out.

                                                  I even gave up finally on the Village Press magazines even though I enjoy their content because of the cheap and cheesy slick stock they are printed on.

                                                  From: David Clark <david.anthony.clark@...>

                                                  > Hi There
                                                  > I think the bugs are out of the system.
                                                  >
                                                  > I had a phone call from John Stevenson, some of you may
                                                  > be aware of him from some other groups.
                                                  >
                                                  > He asked me to pass his thanks on to the subscriptions team.
                                                  > He ordered a new subscription last Thursday evening and his
                                                  > first copy arrived Monday Morning.
                                                  >
                                                  > Magicalia appear to have got their act together in the UK.
                                                  > I believe the US is working OK as well.
                                                  >
                                                  > All Wise Owl subscribers should be receiving a letter from Magicalia
                                                  > about subscription problems with wise Owl.
                                                  >
                                                  > This should sort out any remaining problems with individual subscribers.
                                                  >
                                                  > Please note, Magicalia are not responsible for book orders from Wise Owl.
                                                  >
                                                  > So, I would say order your subscription now with confidence.
                                                  > We have exciting articles planned for 2008.
                                                  >
                                                  > If you can get some spare copies of no 130 from your newsagents, you
                                                  > may be able to sell them on Ebay in the future.
                                                  >
                                                  > regards David

                                                • David Clark
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                    Hi James
                                                    I am responsible for content only, not layout although I have a slight input,
                                                    for instance, I stopped the coloured background to drawings.

                                                    Drawing quality is still not up to scratch but that is the next thing
                                                    to be looked at.

                                                    I do intend to improve MEW but it takes time, 1 change at a time.

                                                    regards David