Re: [mlathemods] Re: Model Engineer's Workshop

  • Robert E. Hawley
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
      I agree with the last part of your statement.  For the price of the magazine delivery should be one of the last problems we have.  It is a very good and informative magazine but it is worthless if it doesnÂ’t come and just causes problems with your head.  Bob Hawley

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 20, 2007
        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...>
        wrote:

        > I had problems in the past so I dropped my subscription. I cannot
        > recommend Wise Owl as a reliable third party for subscriptions.

        My experience with Wise Owl echoes yours. Most email, phone calls go
        unanswered and when you do get reach someone, all they do is send an
        email to the publisher then disappear until the next time you complain
        No follow-up. Also, their on-line ordering system is totally busted
        for non-US customers and has been for years. I mentioned it to them a
        couple of times but they made it very plain they weren't interested.

        However, the new NA distributer EWA told me "The previous distributor
        has gone out of business". I presume they meant Wise Owl yet Wise
        Owl's website is still up and they are apparently open for business
        including MEW subscriptions (although given their former lack of
        interest in the website, perhaps that doesn't mean much).
      • Marty Kollmorgen
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
          I've also had major problems with Wise Owl. It's a "family" run
          business that borders on actual, outright fraud. I ordered
          3 'Workshop Practices" books from them last November. It took
          repeated emails and phone calls to pry two of the three books ..... 4
          months later. Never received the 3rd book, and by that time, recourse
          thru credit card no longer an option. Have reported them to Calif.
          BBB and to the Calif. Atty Gen, but no resolution. I got cheated by
          Wise Owl out of the price of one book, not to mention the cost of
          multiple tel. calls, most of which went to voice mail that weren't
          responded to.
          Marty Kollmorgen

          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "dnaman43" <mevagissy@...> wrote:

          > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I had problems in the past so I dropped my subscription. I cannot
          > > recommend Wise Owl as a reliable third party for subscriptions.
          >
          > My experience with Wise Owl echoes yours. Most email, phone calls
          go
          > unanswered and when you do get reach someone, all they do is send
          an
          > email to the publisher then disappear until the next time you
          complain
          > No follow-up. Also, their on-line ordering system is totally busted
          > for non-US customers and has been for years. I mentioned it to them
          > couple of times but they made it very plain they weren't interested.
          >
          > However, the new NA distributer EWA told me "The previous
          distributor
          > has gone out of business". I presume they meant Wise Owl yet Wise
          > Owl's website is still up and they are apparently open for business
          > including MEW subscriptions (although given their former lack of
          > interest in the website, perhaps that doesn't mean much).

        • dnaman43
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
            I haven't found them outright deceitful - just incompetent. When I
            finally cancelled my MEW subscription through them because they were
            unable to sort out the problems, they refunded my money very promptly.
            And frankly I haven't done any better since then with the subscription
            through Magicalia.

            Some time ago, I wanted one of the scarce G.H. Thomas books. It was
            shown on Wise-Owls website as "backordered" (no suprise there) but I
            called them anyway and placed an order telling them I understood it
            was on b/o but wanted to reserve one when it came in. 9 months later,
            I noticed it was available again in the UK so I ordered one from there
            and called Wise Owl to cancel (they were still showing it b/o). They
            had no record of my order whatsoever. Like I say, incompetent.

            --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Marty Kollmorgen" <jo.marty@...>

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
              Hope you have more success than I've had in the past 6 months. Copying
              Magicalia is probably a good idea ... although they've expressly
              refused to deal with me even though my subscription order was placed
              directly with Magicalia (and hence, technically my contract is with
              them) since they transferred everything to EWS.

              I've pretty much given up hope of getting my subscription starting
              date corrected. I'm just hoping now that I can get *some* magazines
              (that I haven't already bought elsewhere) out of this subscription.

              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Feuer" <jepennygirl@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi - I'm afraid I spoke too soon. I hadn't checked but was going by
              recollection. I just checked and the last issue I got was #128. wow -
              what is going on? EWS sent me an email saying #130 was the last one
              sent from UK and the rest would come from them. Guess I'll have to get
              after them. I also subscribe to Model Engineer and that seems to be
              OK. They said #4308 was the last from UK, and I have #4309, so I guess
              that's OK. apparently Magicalia and EWS both are down on the learning
              curve, and have some catching up to do. I am going to put Magicalia on
              info copy of all my correspondence with EWS and I suggest all others
              with a problem do the same so that they can see the type of service we
              are getting. - Regards Ed.
            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                If EWA proves better in the long haul than Wise Owl I might resubscribe.
                I suspect the US is not an important market for MEW since they really
                don't seem to do a good job of covering subs here.

                Jim Eckman
              • Robert E. Hawley
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                  I too lost the price of a book through Wise Owl, I ordered it then forgot about it when I remembered it I emailed them.  They never responded and I never got the book, never ordered another thing from them.  When it was time to renew my Model Engineer Workshop I went to Magicalia's web site and ordered from there to cut out Wise Owl.  They still gave my order to EWA,  I think that is wrong but what can you do they are across the pond and the legal recourse would cost more than the magazine.  Bob Hawley

                  Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:03 AM

                  title=mailto:mlathemods%40yahoogroups.com href="mailto:mlathemods%40yahoogroups.com">mlathemods@yahoogro ups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@ >
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I had problems in the past so I dropped my subscription. I cannot
                  > > recommend Wise Owl as a reliable third party for subscriptions.
                  >
                  > My experience with Wise Owl echoes yours. Most email, phone calls
                  go
                  > unanswered and when you do get reach someone, all they do is
                  send
                  an
                  > email to the publisher then disappear until the next time
                  you
                  complain
                  > No follow-up. Also, their on-line ordering system is
                  totally busted
                  > for non-US customers and has been for years. I mentioned
                  it to them
                  > couple of times but they made it very plain they
                  weren't interested.

                  > However, the new NA distributer EWA told me
                  "The previous
                  distributor
                  > has gone out of business". I presume they
                  meant Wise Owl yet Wise
                  > Owl's website is still up and they are
                  apparently open for business
                  > including MEW subscriptions (although
                  given their former lack of
                  > interest in the website, perhaps that
                  doesn't mean much).

                • Frank Hasieber
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                    Bob, I'm sorry to hear of yours and others problems, being in South Africa I get direct from Magicalia and have no problems, it's quite likely they have some agreement with EWA to forward/pass all subscriptions from the USA/Canada to them, even though accepted by Magicalia, David Clark is the new editor of MEW, david.clark@... try contacting him, he has been trying to improve MEW's image and is a member of a number of these groups.
                    Regards,
                    Frank.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 21, 2007
                      Hi - I'm afraid I spoke too soon. I hadn't checked but was going by recollection. I just checked and the last issue I got was #128. wow - what is going on? EWS sent me an email saying  #130 was the last one sent from UK and the rest would come from them. Guess I'll have to get after them. I also subscribe to Model Engineer and that seems to be OK. They said #4308 was the last from UK, and I have #4309, so I guess that's OK. apparently Magicalia and EWS both are down on the learning curve, and have some catching up to do. I am going to put Magicalia on info copy of all my correspondence with EWS and I suggest all others with a problem do the same so that they can see the type of service we are getting. - Regards Ed.
                    • Mike West
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 30, 2007
                        Add me to the list of people that have been screwed by Wise Owl. I
                        tried to buy "The Model Engineers Worshop Manual" from them in
                        Febuary. After about a month they stopped responding to emails or
                        phone messages, and in about June I gave up and bought another copy
                        from Hemingways in the UK (same price by the way and it arrived in
                        about a week).

                        I still email Wise Owl everytime I buy a book to let them know that I
                        bought it from someone else, and to remind them that they owe me
                        $46. I've never had a reply.

                        Mike

                        <roberthawley_3@...> wrote:

                        > I too lost the price of a book through Wise Owl, I ordered it then
                        forgot about it when I remembered it I emailed them. They never
                        responded and I never got the book, never ordered another thing from
                        them. When it was time to renew my Model Engineer Workshop I went to
                        Magicalia's web site and ordered from there to cut out Wise Owl.
                        They
                        still gave my order to EWA, I think that is wrong but what can you
                        do
                        they are across the pond and the legal recourse would cost more than
                        the magazine. Bob Hawley

                      • David Clark
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 1, 2007
                          Hi THere
                          Magicalia are not geared up to do subscriptions direct.

                          They use a subscription company in the UK as well as
                          in the US.

                          EWA have given excellent results to Two, a motorbike
                          magazine taken over by Magicalia a few months back.

                          Give them a chance and I am sure the will work out well
                          for Model Engineers Workshop.
                          regards David

                          At 23:50 30/11/2007, you wrote:

                          >Add me to the list of people that have been screwed by Wise Owl. I
                          >tried to buy "The Model Engineers Worshop Manual" from them in
                          >Febuary. After about a month they stopped responding to emails or
                          >phone messages, and in about June I gave up and bought another copy
                          >from Hemingways in the UK (same price by the way and it arrived in
                          >about a week).
                          >
                          >I still email Wise Owl everytime I buy a book to let them know that I
                          >bought it from someone else, and to remind them that they owe me
                          >$46. I've never had a reply.
                          >
                          >Mike
                          >
                          >--- In
                          ><mailto:mlathemods%40yahoogroups.com>mlathemods@yahoogroups.com,
                          >"Robert E. Hawley"
                          ><roberthawley_3@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I too lost the price of a book through Wise Owl, I ordered it then
                          >forgot about it when I remembered it I emailed them. They never
                          >responded and I never got the book, never ordered another thing from
                          >them. When it was time to renew my Model Engineer Workshop I went to
                          >Magicalia's web site and ordered from there to cut out Wise Owl.
                          >They
                          >still gave my order to EWA, I think that is wrong but what can you
                          >do
                          >they are across the pond and the legal recourse would cost more than
                          >the magazine. Bob Hawley

                        • David Graves
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                            Wise Owl defrauded me as well both for ME and MEW and I thought I would
                            tell you what I did. I complained to the Attorney General of CA (state
                            where Wise Owl is located) as well as the CA Better Business Bureau.
                            A.G. basically said "Gee, that's too bad. Why don't you hire an
                            attorney?" BBB said "We will contact them and get back to you." Months
                            later, BBB said, "We haven't heard from them but will try again."

                            With regard to Magicalia and EWA, I also would wait and give them a
                            chance to fix things up. The real problem was Wise Owl, and both other
                            outfits did seem to be trying to get things back in order the few times
                            I contacted them.

                            Perhaps a few more people could try contacting the CA Attorney General's
                            office. If they get enough complaints, it would seem that they might
                            have to do something. Or perhaps someone from CA with a lot of energy
                            might want to contact a big newspaper like the San Francisco Examiner
                            and have them do an expose on how their attorney general is not doing
                            his job. Not being a Californian, I don't have much clout.
                          • James W. Early
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                              David
                              Unfortunately our attorney general is more interested in pursuing companies that produce jobs in Kalifornia than companies that defraud their customers. He is a whole hearted convert to the new religion being promoted by the prophet Big Al and is determined to stop any American company that manufactures anything at all from staying in business just like he did when he was governor and his father did when he was governor.

                              In this state the only people with clout are con men and defrauders of the welfare system.

                              Be wary of strong drink. It can
                              make you shoot at tax
                              collectors... and miss.
                              Robert A. Heinlein

                              From: David Graves <graves@...>

                              > Wise Owl defrauded me as well both for ME and MEW and I thought I would
                              > tell you what I did. I complained to the Attorney General of CA (state
                              > where Wise Owl is located) as well as the CA Better Business Bureau.
                              > A.G. basically said "Gee, that's too bad. Why don't you hire an
                              > attorney?" BBB said "We will contact them and get back to you." Months
                              > later, BBB said, "We haven't heard from them but will try again."
                              >
                              > With regard to Magicalia and EWA, I also would wait and give them a
                              > chance to fix things up. The real problem was Wise Owl, and both other
                              > outfits did seem to be trying to get things back in order the few times
                              > I contacted them.
                              >
                              > Perhaps a few more people could try contacting the CA Attorney General's
                              > office. If they get enough complaints, it would seem that they might
                              > have to do something. Or perhaps someone from CA with a lot of energy
                              > might want to contact a big newspaper like the San Francisco Examiner
                              > and have them do an expose on how their attorney general is not doing
                              > his job. Not being a Californian, I don't have much clout.

                            • David Lee
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
                                Unfortunately our attorney general is more interested in pursuing companies
                                that produce jobs in Kalifornia than companies that defraud their customers.
                                He is a whole hearted convert to the new religion being promoted by the
                                prophet Big Al and is determined to stop any American company that
                                manufactures anything at all from staying in business just like he did when
                                he was governor and his father did when he was governor.

                                In this state the only people with clout are con men and defrauders of the
                                welfare system.

                                [David Lee replies->] That ain't just your state Mr. Early. I'm beginning
                                to think it's every state. The was a time when New Hampshire encouraged
                                cottage industry but now, with all the narrow-backs (my name for liberals)
                                moved up from Massachusetts, NH is beginning to be the "People's Republic of
                                New Hampshire".

                                From: David Graves <graves@...>

                                > Wise Owl defrauded me as well both for ME and MEW and I thought I would
                                > tell you what I did. I complained to the Attorney General of CA (state
                                > where Wise Owl is located) as well as the CA Better Business Bureau.
                                > A.G. basically said "Gee, that's too bad. Why don't you hire an
                                > attorney?" BBB said "We will contact them and get back to you." Months
                                > later, BBB said, "We haven't heard from them but will try again."
                                >
                                > With regard to Magicalia and EWA, I also would wait and give them a
                                > chance to fix things up. The real problem was Wise Owl, and both other
                                > outfits did seem to be trying to get things back in order the few times
                                > I contacted them.
                                >
                                > Perhaps a few more people could try contacting the CA Attorney General's
                                > office. If they get enough complaints, it would seem that they might
                                > have to do something. Or perhaps someone from CA with a lot of energy
                                > might want to contact a big newspaper like the San Francisco Examiner
                                > and have them do an expose on how their attorney general is not doing
                                > his job. Not being a Californian, I don't have much clout.

                                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                8:34 PM

                                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                8:34 PM