Re: [mlathemods] Re: Lathe for 5C Collets?

  • PeterH5322
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
      >Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?

      3C is a Hardinge collet.

      Hardinge sells 3C, 4C and 5C, and possibly some other "Cataract" (from
      which comes the C) collets.

      J is a Sjogren collet, and Hardinge made the Sjogren collet chuck for
      many years, but it is now made and serviced by ATS Workholding.

      The best source of first-line collets in C and J series is Hardinge.

      Rivett used to make Cs and Js.

      Lyndex as well.
    • Brian Pitt
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
        On Saturday 10 November 2007 14:06, PeterH5322 wrote:
        > >Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?
        >
        > 3C is a Hardinge collet.

        be sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices though ;)
        http://hardingetooling.com/productcodes.asp?ID=CSERIES

        also the 3J is a pretty big collet ,it will swallow a 5C
        http://cgi.ebay.com/Quick-Change-3J-Collet-Chuck-To-5C-Collets-NEW_W0QQitemZ290068785476QQcmdZViewItem

        Brian
        --
        "Nemo me impune lacesset"
      • PeterH5322
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
          >> 3C is a Hardinge collet.
          >
          >be sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices though ;)

          I buy good, used ones, from a local dealer for $7.50 or so.

          >also the 3J is a pretty big collet ,it will swallow a 5C

          I have a 22J "Speed-Chuck".

          Now, THAT'S BIG.
        • Brooke Clarke
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 15, 2007
            Hi:

            I'm starting to like the Grizzly G0516 but neither Grizzly nor Little Machine
            Shop knows what the spindle threads are. I'm 99% sure this is a Seig C6, but
            that doesn't help much. Does anyone know?
            http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0516

            Have Fun,

            Brooke Clarke
            http://www.PRC68.com
            http://www.precisionclock.com
            http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy Cam
          • Druid Noibn
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 15, 2007
              Hi Brooke,

              The lathe uses a flange to attache the chucks.  Also, both the lathe and the mill have a MT 3 taper.

              Take a look at the manuals on the Grizzly site - far better than most.

              Nice machine, tells us your opinions when you get it.

              Take care,
              DBN

              Brooke Clarke <brooke@...> wrote:
              Hi:

              I'm starting to like the Grizzly G0516 but neither Grizzly nor Little Machine
              Shop knows what the spindle threads are. I'm 99% sure this is a Seig C6, but
              that doesn't help much. Does anyone know?
              http://www.grizzly. com/products/ g0516

              Have Fun,

              Brooke Clarke
              http://www.PRC68. com
              http://www.precisio nclock.com
              http://www.prc68. com/I/WebCam2. shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather- Astronomy Cam

            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 16, 2007
                Looking at the parts manual online, it's like the other Chinese lathes.
                No threads on the spindle, strictly bolt on! Use a collet adapter for a
                #3 Morse taper?

                Interesting machine though, reminds me of some of the older Prazi's for
                size.

                Jim Eckman