Re: [mlathemods] Re: Lathe for 5C Collets?

  • Brooke Clarke
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
      Hi Cam:

      That's an interesting option. LMS offers a set of 7 each 3C collets:
      http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1991&category=-195207565

      But although Enco carries page after page of collets they don't seem to carry
      3C but do have a 3J. The main reason I was looking for 5C is the huge
      selection of ready made collets for round, square, hex, and blank for very
      reasonable prices.

      Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?

      Have Fun,

      Brooke Clarke
      http://www.PRC68.com
      http://www.precisionclock.com
      http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy Cam

      jimonkka wrote:
      > Have you looked at the 3C collet? Little Machine Shop carries all
      > the pieces to outfit a 7x. I believe it is cheaper than getting a
      > larger lathe. Slightly smaller larger diameter than a 5C. Long stock
      > hanging on the left is controlled by a simple stand to keep from
      > whipping. I believe Little Machine Shop also had one of those but it
      > is easily made.
      >

      > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Brooke Clarke <brooke@...> wrote:
      >
      >>Hi:
      >>
      >>I'm looking into getting a lathe, as small as possible, but that
      >
      > will take 5C
      >
      >>collets in the same way as the Hardinge, i.e. with the collet
      >
      > closing lever to
      >
      >>the left of the headstock allowing material feed through the
      >
      > headstock.
      >
      >>http://www.hardingeus.com/index.asp?pageID=63&prodID=29
      >>http://hardinge.com/usr/pdf/turning/1332A_HLV.pdf
      >>Is there a made in China version?
      >>
      >>--
      >>Have Fun,
      >>
      >>Brooke Clarke
      >>http://www.PRC68.com
      >>http://www.precisionclock.com
      >>http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy
      >
      > Cam
    • PeterH5322
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
        >Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?

        3C is a Hardinge collet.

        Hardinge sells 3C, 4C and 5C, and possibly some other "Cataract" (from
        which comes the C) collets.

        J is a Sjogren collet, and Hardinge made the Sjogren collet chuck for
        many years, but it is now made and serviced by ATS Workholding.

        The best source of first-line collets in C and J series is Hardinge.

        Rivett used to make Cs and Js.

        Lyndex as well.
      • Brian Pitt
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
          On Saturday 10 November 2007 14:06, PeterH5322 wrote:
          > >Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?
          >
          > 3C is a Hardinge collet.

          be sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices though ;)
          http://hardingetooling.com/productcodes.asp?ID=CSERIES

          also the 3J is a pretty big collet ,it will swallow a 5C
          http://cgi.ebay.com/Quick-Change-3J-Collet-Chuck-To-5C-Collets-NEW_W0QQitemZ290068785476QQcmdZViewItem

          Brian
          --
          "Nemo me impune lacesset"
        • PeterH5322
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
            >> 3C is a Hardinge collet.
            >
            >be sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices though ;)

            I buy good, used ones, from a local dealer for $7.50 or so.

            >also the 3J is a pretty big collet ,it will swallow a 5C

            I have a 22J "Speed-Chuck".

            Now, THAT'S BIG.
          • Brooke Clarke
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 15, 2007
              Hi:

              I'm starting to like the Grizzly G0516 but neither Grizzly nor Little Machine
              Shop knows what the spindle threads are. I'm 99% sure this is a Seig C6, but
              that doesn't help much. Does anyone know?
              http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0516

              Have Fun,

              Brooke Clarke
              http://www.PRC68.com
              http://www.precisionclock.com
              http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy Cam
            • Druid Noibn
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 15, 2007
                Hi Brooke,

                The lathe uses a flange to attache the chucks.  Also, both the lathe and the mill have a MT 3 taper.

                Take a look at the manuals on the Grizzly site - far better than most.

                Nice machine, tells us your opinions when you get it.

                Take care,
                DBN

                Brooke Clarke <brooke@...> wrote:
                Hi:

                I'm starting to like the Grizzly G0516 but neither Grizzly nor Little Machine
                Shop knows what the spindle threads are. I'm 99% sure this is a Seig C6, but
                that doesn't help much. Does anyone know?
                http://www.grizzly. com/products/ g0516

                Have Fun,

                Brooke Clarke
                http://www.PRC68. com
                http://www.precisio nclock.com
                http://www.prc68. com/I/WebCam2. shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather- Astronomy Cam

              • James Eckman
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 16, 2007
                  Looking at the parts manual online, it's like the other Chinese lathes.
                  No threads on the spindle, strictly bolt on! Use a collet adapter for a
                  #3 Morse taper?

                  Interesting machine though, reminds me of some of the older Prazi's for
                  size.

                  Jim Eckman