Re: Lathe for 5C Collets?

  • jimonkka
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
      Have you looked at the 3C collet? Little Machine Shop carries all
      the pieces to outfit a 7x. I believe it is cheaper than getting a
      larger lathe. Slightly smaller larger diameter than a 5C. Long stock
      hanging on the left is controlled by a simple stand to keep from
      whipping. I believe Little Machine Shop also had one of those but it
      is easily made.

      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Brooke Clarke <brooke@...> wrote:

      > Hi:
      >
      > I'm looking into getting a lathe, as small as possible, but that
      will take 5C
      > collets in the same way as the Hardinge, i.e. with the collet
      closing lever to
      > the left of the headstock allowing material feed through the
      headstock.
      > http://www.hardingeus.com/index.asp?pageID=63&prodID=29
      > http://hardinge.com/usr/pdf/turning/1332A_HLV.pdf
      > Is there a made in China version?
      >
      > --
      > Have Fun,
      >
      > Brooke Clarke
      > http://www.PRC68.com
      > http://www.precisionclock.com
      > http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy
      Cam

    • Troy Burns
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
        In most cases, material going through the headstock can best be
        controlled by a 'spider'. See Lynn Standish's website for
        details. http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/standish.html

        I made my spider before I learned to cut inside threads, so I
        inletted the outside lock nut into the through hole, achieving a
        press fit, then used screws and epoxy to hold it in place. I had to
        trim the plastic panel on the left end of the lathe for clearance.

        With a 4 jaw chuck and 4 bolts into the spider, I'm able to set up a
        gun barrel to about .0002" clearance on both ends of the headstock.

        tb
      • Brooke Clarke
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
          Hi Cam:

          That's an interesting option. LMS offers a set of 7 each 3C collets:
          http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1991&category=-195207565

          But although Enco carries page after page of collets they don't seem to carry
          3C but do have a 3J. The main reason I was looking for 5C is the huge
          selection of ready made collets for round, square, hex, and blank for very
          reasonable prices.

          Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?

          jimonkka wrote:
          > Have you looked at the 3C collet? Little Machine Shop carries all
          > the pieces to outfit a 7x. I believe it is cheaper than getting a
          > larger lathe. Slightly smaller larger diameter than a 5C. Long stock
          > hanging on the left is controlled by a simple stand to keep from
          > whipping. I believe Little Machine Shop also had one of those but it
          > is easily made.
          >

          > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Brooke Clarke <brooke@...> wrote:
          >
          >>Hi:
          >>
          >>I'm looking into getting a lathe, as small as possible, but that
          >
          > will take 5C
          >
          >>collets in the same way as the Hardinge, i.e. with the collet
          >
          > closing lever to
          >
          >>the left of the headstock allowing material feed through the
          >
          > headstock.
          >
          >>http://www.hardingeus.com/index.asp?pageID=63&prodID=29
          >>http://hardinge.com/usr/pdf/turning/1332A_HLV.pdf
          >>Is there a made in China version?
          >>
          >>--
          >>Have Fun,
          >>
          >>Brooke Clarke
          >>http://www.PRC68.com
          >>http://www.precisionclock.com
          >>http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy
          >
          > Cam
        • PeterH5322
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
            >Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?

            3C is a Hardinge collet.

            Hardinge sells 3C, 4C and 5C, and possibly some other "Cataract" (from
            which comes the C) collets.

            J is a Sjogren collet, and Hardinge made the Sjogren collet chuck for
            many years, but it is now made and serviced by ATS Workholding.

            The best source of first-line collets in C and J series is Hardinge.

            Rivett used to make Cs and Js.

            Lyndex as well.
          • Brian Pitt
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
              On Saturday 10 November 2007 14:06, PeterH5322 wrote:
              > >Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?
              >
              > 3C is a Hardinge collet.

              be sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices though ;)
              http://hardingetooling.com/productcodes.asp?ID=CSERIES

              also the 3J is a pretty big collet ,it will swallow a 5C
              http://cgi.ebay.com/Quick-Change-3J-Collet-Chuck-To-5C-Collets-NEW_W0QQitemZ290068785476QQcmdZViewItem

              Brian
              --
              "Nemo me impune lacesset"
            • PeterH5322
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
                >> 3C is a Hardinge collet.
                >
                >be sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices though ;)

                I buy good, used ones, from a local dealer for $7.50 or so.

                >also the 3J is a pretty big collet ,it will swallow a 5C

                I have a 22J "Speed-Chuck".

                Now, THAT'S BIG.
              • Brooke Clarke
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 15, 2007
                  Hi:

                  I'm starting to like the Grizzly G0516 but neither Grizzly nor Little Machine
                  Shop knows what the spindle threads are. I'm 99% sure this is a Seig C6, but
                  that doesn't help much. Does anyone know?
                  http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0516

                  Have Fun,

                  Brooke Clarke
                  http://www.PRC68.com
                  http://www.precisionclock.com
                  http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy Cam
                • Druid Noibn
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 15, 2007
                    Hi Brooke,

                    The lathe uses a flange to attache the chucks.  Also, both the lathe and the mill have a MT 3 taper.

                    Take a look at the manuals on the Grizzly site - far better than most.

                    Nice machine, tells us your opinions when you get it.

                    Take care,
                    DBN

                    Brooke Clarke <brooke@...> wrote:
                    Hi:

                    I'm starting to like the Grizzly G0516 but neither Grizzly nor Little Machine
                    Shop knows what the spindle threads are. I'm 99% sure this is a Seig C6, but
                    that doesn't help much. Does anyone know?
                    http://www.grizzly. com/products/ g0516

                    Have Fun,

                    Brooke Clarke
                    http://www.PRC68. com
                    http://www.precisio nclock.com
                    http://www.prc68. com/I/WebCam2. shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather- Astronomy Cam

                  • James Eckman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 16, 2007
                      Looking at the parts manual online, it's like the other Chinese lathes.
                      No threads on the spindle, strictly bolt on! Use a collet adapter for a
                      #3 Morse taper?

                      Interesting machine though, reminds me of some of the older Prazi's for
                      size.

                      Jim Eckman