Re: Lathe for 5C Collets?

  • Kenneth Emmert
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 7, 2007

      Ken
      You might want to evaluate what your needs are down the line. For instance as far as turret tooling goes there have been a large selection made, I have one for my 9" south Bend. There is also the tailstock taper mounted six tool turret for drilling or reaming. There are also the Hardinge speed lathes that can be picked up from $300 to $3000 from tooling dealers that usually come with a bed turret. I have several bed turret designs from a jewelers size to one that could be adapted to home construction to almost any lathe.

      JWE you are a kind and knowledgeable man.  I agree with your comments in general, unfortunately a tool room lathe acquisition is for a production process.  My standard 12 x 37”  Lathe using a ¾” turret is under powered and not likely to hold up to the long term abuse.   It is a well built 22 year old Grizzley that has some major advantages over current 12 x 37 Lathe models heavier and better build.  I know the risks in old machine tools and how to check and adjust most things.  Usual problem I know more than enough to get myself into trouble and nearly enough to get out of it.

      Thanks,

      Ken

      Kenneth A. Emmert

      SMW Precision LLC

      866-533-9016 (Toll Free)

    • jimonkka
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
        Have you looked at the 3C collet? Little Machine Shop carries all
        the pieces to outfit a 7x. I believe it is cheaper than getting a
        larger lathe. Slightly smaller larger diameter than a 5C. Long stock
        hanging on the left is controlled by a simple stand to keep from
        whipping. I believe Little Machine Shop also had one of those but it
        is easily made.

        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Brooke Clarke <brooke@...> wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I'm looking into getting a lathe, as small as possible, but that
        will take 5C
        > collets in the same way as the Hardinge, i.e. with the collet
        closing lever to
        > the left of the headstock allowing material feed through the
        headstock.
        > http://www.hardingeus.com/index.asp?pageID=63&prodID=29
        > http://hardinge.com/usr/pdf/turning/1332A_HLV.pdf
        > Is there a made in China version?
        >
        > --
        > Have Fun,
        >
        > Brooke Clarke
        > http://www.PRC68.com
        > http://www.precisionclock.com
        > http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy
        Cam

      • Troy Burns
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
          In most cases, material going through the headstock can best be
          controlled by a 'spider'. See Lynn Standish's website for
          details. http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/standish.html

          I made my spider before I learned to cut inside threads, so I
          inletted the outside lock nut into the through hole, achieving a
          press fit, then used screws and epoxy to hold it in place. I had to
          trim the plastic panel on the left end of the lathe for clearance.

          With a 4 jaw chuck and 4 bolts into the spider, I'm able to set up a
          gun barrel to about .0002" clearance on both ends of the headstock.

          tb
        • Brooke Clarke
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
            Hi Cam:

            That's an interesting option. LMS offers a set of 7 each 3C collets:
            http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1991&category=-195207565

            But although Enco carries page after page of collets they don't seem to carry
            3C but do have a 3J. The main reason I was looking for 5C is the huge
            selection of ready made collets for round, square, hex, and blank for very
            reasonable prices.

            Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?

            jimonkka wrote:
            > Have you looked at the 3C collet? Little Machine Shop carries all
            > the pieces to outfit a 7x. I believe it is cheaper than getting a
            > larger lathe. Slightly smaller larger diameter than a 5C. Long stock
            > hanging on the left is controlled by a simple stand to keep from
            > whipping. I believe Little Machine Shop also had one of those but it
            > is easily made.
            >

            > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Brooke Clarke <brooke@...> wrote:
            >
            >>Hi:
            >>
            >>I'm looking into getting a lathe, as small as possible, but that
            >
            > will take 5C
            >
            >>collets in the same way as the Hardinge, i.e. with the collet
            >
            > closing lever to
            >
            >>the left of the headstock allowing material feed through the
            >
            > headstock.
            >
            >>http://www.hardingeus.com/index.asp?pageID=63&prodID=29
            >>http://hardinge.com/usr/pdf/turning/1332A_HLV.pdf
            >>Is there a made in China version?
            >>
            >>--
            >>Have Fun,
            >>
            >>Brooke Clarke
            >>http://www.PRC68.com
            >>http://www.precisionclock.com
            >>http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy
            >
            > Cam
          • PeterH5322
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
              >Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?

              3C is a Hardinge collet.

              Hardinge sells 3C, 4C and 5C, and possibly some other "Cataract" (from
              which comes the C) collets.

              J is a Sjogren collet, and Hardinge made the Sjogren collet chuck for
              many years, but it is now made and serviced by ATS Workholding.

              The best source of first-line collets in C and J series is Hardinge.

              Rivett used to make Cs and Js.

              Lyndex as well.
            • Brian Pitt
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
                On Saturday 10 November 2007 14:06, PeterH5322 wrote:
                > >Are there sources for 3C other than LMS?
                >
                > 3C is a Hardinge collet.

                be sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices though ;)
                http://hardingetooling.com/productcodes.asp?ID=CSERIES

                also the 3J is a pretty big collet ,it will swallow a 5C
                http://cgi.ebay.com/Quick-Change-3J-Collet-Chuck-To-5C-Collets-NEW_W0QQitemZ290068785476QQcmdZViewItem

                Brian
                --
                "Nemo me impune lacesset"
              • PeterH5322
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 10, 2007
                  >> 3C is a Hardinge collet.
                  >
                  >be sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices though ;)

                  I buy good, used ones, from a local dealer for $7.50 or so.

                  >also the 3J is a pretty big collet ,it will swallow a 5C

                  I have a 22J "Speed-Chuck".

                  Now, THAT'S BIG.
                • Brooke Clarke
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 15, 2007
                    Hi:

                    I'm starting to like the Grizzly G0516 but neither Grizzly nor Little Machine
                    Shop knows what the spindle threads are. I'm 99% sure this is a Seig C6, but
                    that doesn't help much. Does anyone know?
                    http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0516

                    Have Fun,

                    Brooke Clarke
                    http://www.PRC68.com
                    http://www.precisionclock.com
                    http://www.prc68.com/I/WebCam2.shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather-Astronomy Cam
                  • Druid Noibn
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 15, 2007
                      Hi Brooke,

                      The lathe uses a flange to attache the chucks.  Also, both the lathe and the mill have a MT 3 taper.

                      Take a look at the manuals on the Grizzly site - far better than most.

                      Nice machine, tells us your opinions when you get it.

                      Take care,
                      DBN

                      Brooke Clarke <brooke@...> wrote:
                      Hi:

                      I'm starting to like the Grizzly G0516 but neither Grizzly nor Little Machine
                      Shop knows what the spindle threads are. I'm 99% sure this is a Seig C6, but
                      that doesn't help much. Does anyone know?
                      http://www.grizzly. com/products/ g0516

                      Have Fun,

                      Brooke Clarke
                      http://www.PRC68. com
                      http://www.precisio nclock.com
                      http://www.prc68. com/I/WebCam2. shtml 24/7 Sky-Weather- Astronomy Cam

                    • James Eckman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 16, 2007
                        Looking at the parts manual online, it's like the other Chinese lathes.
                        No threads on the spindle, strictly bolt on! Use a collet adapter for a
                        #3 Morse taper?

                        Interesting machine though, reminds me of some of the older Prazi's for
                        size.

                        Jim Eckman