Lathe chucks mounted on Morse taper?

  • mayt4442000
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
      I have a question for you experienced mini lathe users. Has anyone
      tried using the 2 1/2 inch 3 jaw chucks mounted on Morse taper on the
      7x10 mini lathe? I see them for sale on ebay from lathemaster and on
      mini machine shop. Just curious about how well it would work and what
      kind of acuracy to expect. Why not a 4 inch 4 jaw independent also.
      Then a person could leave a faceplate attached and change chucks
      without unbolting the chucks everytime.
      Thanks guys
    • John Stanton
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2007
        I have one of those chucks. It has an MT2 taper and I use it as a
        tailstock chuck.

        mayt4442000 wrote:
        > I have a question for you experienced mini lathe users. Has anyone
        > tried using the 2 1/2 inch 3 jaw chucks mounted on Morse taper on the
        > 7x10 mini lathe? I see them for sale on ebay from lathemaster and on
        > mini machine shop. Just curious about how well it would work and what
        > kind of acuracy to expect. Why not a 4 inch 4 jaw independent also.
        > Then a person could leave a faceplate attached and change chucks
        > without unbolting the chucks everytime.
        > Thanks guys
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Richard Garnish
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
          A 2 1/2" chuck on a morse taper would probably work great, within the
          limits of the spindle taper accuracy -- don't assume it's concentric.
          My spindle had runout of about .002" on the taper, whereas the spindle
          flange and register (for normal chuck mounting) were spot-on. I skimmed
          the taper with a carbide-tipped boring bar and MT3 finishing reamer and
          now the runout is around .0002", much better.

          As for larger chucks, I'd worry about the extra overhang from such an
          arrangement. Since you'd need a drawbar to pull the taper into the
          spindle (and the accompanying heavy object to release it) I don't think
          it'd be any more convenient than just unbolting the chuck each time.

          Richard

          On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 00:46, mayt4442000 wrote:
          > I have a question for you experienced mini lathe users. Has anyone
          > tried using the 2 1/2 inch 3 jaw chucks mounted on Morse taper on the
          > 7x10 mini lathe? I see them for sale on ebay from lathemaster and on
          > mini machine shop. Just curious about how well it would work and what
          > kind of acuracy to expect. Why not a 4 inch 4 jaw independent also.
          > Then a person could leave a faceplate attached and change chucks
          > without unbolting the chucks everytime.
          > Thanks guys
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • danokirchh
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
            Could you explain how you use it as a tailstock chuck? Mounted
            directly
            in the tailstock, it would not allow the work to turn.

            --Daniel

            --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, John Stanton <johns@...> wrote:

            > I have one of those chucks. It has an MT2 taper and I use it as a
            > tailstock chuck.
            >
            > mayt4442000 wrote:
            > > I have a question for you experienced mini lathe users. Has
            anyone
            > > tried using the 2 1/2 inch 3 jaw chucks mounted on Morse taper on
            the
            > > 7x10 mini lathe? I see them for sale on ebay from lathemaster and
            on
            > > mini machine shop. Just curious about how well it would work and
            what
            > > kind of acuracy to expect. Why not a 4 inch 4 jaw independent
            also.
            > > Then a person could leave a faceplate attached and change chucks
            > > without unbolting the chucks everytime.
            > > Thanks guys
          • John Stanton
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
              I use it in place of a Jacobs chuck when I want to hold a tool which is
              held better by the three jaw chuck. I also use it on my mill as part of
              a simple dividing head.

              danokirchh wrote:
              > Could you explain how you use it as a tailstock chuck? Mounted
              > directly
              > in the tailstock, it would not allow the work to turn.
              >
              > --Daniel
              >
              > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, John Stanton <johns@...> wrote:
              >
              >>I have one of those chucks. It has an MT2 taper and I use it as a
              >>tailstock chuck.
              >>
              >>mayt4442000 wrote:
              >>
              >>>I have a question for you experienced mini lathe users. Has
              >
              > anyone
              >
              >>>tried using the 2 1/2 inch 3 jaw chucks mounted on Morse taper on
              >
              > the
              >
              >>>7x10 mini lathe? I see them for sale on ebay from lathemaster and
              >
              > on
              >
              >>>mini machine shop. Just curious about how well it would work and
              >
              > what
              >
              >>>kind of acuracy to expect. Why not a 4 inch 4 jaw independent
              >
              > also.
              >
              >>>Then a person could leave a faceplate attached and change chucks
              >>>without unbolting the chucks everytime.
              >>>Thanks guys
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Clayton
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
                Richard
                Thanks for the feedback. What you say does makes sense. I haven't had a chance to check the runout on the taper yet but will do so at the next opportunity. I may pick up one of these chucks just for the heck of it and see how well it works.
                Regards
                Clayton

                Richard Garnish <rdg@...> wrote:
                A 2 1/2" chuck on a morse taper would probably work great, within the
                limits of the spindle taper accuracy -- don't assume it's concentric.
                My spindle had runout of about .002" on the taper, whereas the spindle
                flange and register (for normal chuck mounting) were spot-on. I skimmed
                the taper with a carbide-tipped boring bar and MT3 finishing reamer and
                now the runout is around .0002", much better.

                As for larger chucks, I'd worry about the extra overhang from such an
                arrangement. Since you'd need a drawbar to pull the taper into the
                spindle (and the accompanying heavy object to release it) I don't think
                it'd be any more convenient than just unbolting the chuck each time.

                Richard

                On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 00:46, mayt4442000 wrote:
                > I have a question for you experienced mini lathe users. Has anyone
                > tried using the 2 1/2 inch 3 jaw chucks mounted on Morse taper on the
                > 7x10 mini lathe? I see them for sale on ebay from lathemaster and on
                > mini machine shop. Just curious about how well it would work and what
                > kind of acuracy to expect. Why not a 4 inch 4 jaw independent also.
                > Then a person could leave a faceplate attached and change chucks
                > without unbolting the chucks everytime.
                > Thanks guys
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

              • Clifford Herbert
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
                  --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Clayton <mayt4442000@...> wrote:

                  > Richard
                  >

                  > Richard Garnish <rdg@...> wrote:
                  > A 2 1/2" chuck on a morse taper would probably work great,
                  within the
                  > limits of the spindle taper accuracy -- don't assume it's concentric.
                  > My spindle had runout of about .002" on the taper, whereas the spindle

                  What's "runout"? Eccentricity of the shaft: not seen the term before
                  Regrads,
                  CliffH
                • gerry waclawiak
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
                    Hi Cliff,

                    runout is a standard engineering term and I'm surprised that you haven't heard of it.

                    As you say can be eccentricity of a shaft but in a lathe it is the total indicated movement and can be the total from the spindle, chuck and the component being used for the indicator added together.

                    Gerry
                    Leeds UK

                    To: mlathemods@yahoogroups.com
                    From: cliffherbert@...
                    Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 07:28:43 +0000
                    Subject: [mlathemods] Re: Lathe chucks mounted on Morse taper?

                    --- In mlathemods@yahoogro ups.com, Clayton <mayt4442000@ ...> wrote:

                    > Richard
                    >

                    > Richard Garnish <rdg@...> wrote:
                    > A 2 1/2" chuck on a morse taper would probably work great,
                    within the
                    > limits of the spindle taper accuracy -- don't assume it's concentric.
                    > My spindle had runout of about .002" on the taper, whereas the spindle

                    What's "runout"? Eccentricity of the shaft: not seen the term before
                    Regrads,
                    CliffH

                    Get free emoticon packs and customisation from Windows Live. Pimp My Live!
                  • Richard Garnish
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
                      On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 08:28, Clifford Herbert wrote:
                      > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Clayton <mayt4442000@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Richard
                      > >

                      > > Richard Garnish <rdg@...> wrote:
                      > > A 2 1/2" chuck on a morse taper would probably work great,
                      > within the
                      > > limits of the spindle taper accuracy -- don't assume it's concentric.
                      > > My spindle had runout of about .002" on the taper, whereas the spindle
                      >
                      > What's "runout"? Eccentricity of the shaft: not seen the term before
                      > Regrads,
                      > CliffH

                      Exactly as you say. Runout is normally specified as TIR (Total
                      Indicated Runout), which is the maximum swing of the needle throughout
                      one revolution when indicating a particular feature. So my .002" TIR on
                      the taper indicated that the centreline of the taper was actually .001"
                      off-centre. This was near the mouth of the taper; I got different
                      readings (and at different points of rotation) when indicating as far
                      inside the taper as I could reach, and the end of a test bar 6" from the
                      spindle face.

                      Richard