Re:Webcam for lathe and mill

  • Arnie Minear
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
      All,

      I posted some pics and the model number Micro-innovations ic435c
      of the web camera I use for this. I lucked out with this camera
      because it has to be the easiest one to mount a shaft to. It comes
      apart with one screw, you toss the base and attach a shaft directly in
      the back. It even has a pilot hole in the back where you want your
      mounting screw. I use an adjustable shaft, see my photos under ARN'S
      WEB CAMERA, so I can mechanically center the camera. If you have a
      lathe it is easy to make this shaft, if not email me, I have been
      making these for guys with just a cnc router or mill.

      Oh, one other thing about this model of camera, it will focus
      incredibly close to your stock or target. Check out the close up
      photo.

      Arnie
    • David V Howard
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 15, 2007
        Thanks Arnie,
        I have already tried my webcam with Mach3 (which I see you are
        using). It is an el cheapo one with built in leds for illumination
        and also focuses amazingly close.
        However, that's as far as I got with it - I need to figure out how to
        make a suitable mount for centring in the mill spindle is all - just
        been too busy with other toys. :-)

        Cheers,
        Dave.
      • eqreservoir
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 15, 2007
          I've tried to download the software, from the CentreCam website, and
          always get an error 404 message. I have emailed the sites webmaster
          and have yet to get a response. Hopefully they will have it back
          soon. If not maybe someone will be able to email me a copy of the
          software.

          Enjoy.
          HTj
        • Norman Atkinson
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
            I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.

            You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from Google

            Lets us know please of how you got on.

            Cheers

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
              This is the way I've tried more than once: I went through google-
              CentreCam- from there I click on CentreCam which takes me to this
              link- http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm from there I
              click on the software bar- went to download bar and clicked- and I
              get an error 404 message. Tried one more time and get the same error
              message.
              Enjoy.
              HTj

              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Atkinson" <norman@...>
              wrote:

              > I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.
              >
              > You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from
              Google

              > Lets us know please of how you got on.
              >
              > Cheers

            • William Rutiser
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                eqreservoir wrote:
                > This is the way I've tried more than once: I went through google-
                > CentreCam- from there I click on CentreCam which takes me to this
                > link- http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm from there I
                > click on the software bar- went to download bar and clicked- and I
                > get an error 404 message. Tried one more time and get the same error
                > message.
                > Enjoy.
                > HTj
                >
                > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Atkinson" <norman@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.
                >>
                >> You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from
                >>
                > Google
                >
                >> Lets us know please of how you got on.
                >>
                >> Cheers

                There are (at least) two buttons on the site that say "Download". One
                works while the other doesn't.

                Start at
                http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm

                This should give you a page with a "CentreCam" centered at the top. The
                page has a column of 9 dark blue buttons along the left edge. The sixth
                button is labeled "Software". The seventh button is labeled "Software
                Download".

                Click on the "Software Download" button.

                This should take you to a page headed "Software Download", some
                instructional text, and several boxes to fill in. Below the box labeled
                "Comments" is a "Submit" button. Fill in the boxes and click the
                "Submit" button. What you see next is browser dependent. You should see
                a browser dialog that gives a choice to save a file named "centrecam12.zip".

                If you were to press the "Software" button that is just above the
                "Software Download" button, you will be taken to a page that describes
                the software and the features of Version 1.2. At the bottom is a
                clickable link labeled "Download Version 1.2". That leads to a 404 error.

                Good Luck,
                Bill Rutiser
                Gaithersburg, MD, US
              • Lt. Scott
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 7, 2007
                  I downloaded it just fine. One link returns error 404. Then I clicked
                  on software download on left side of screen. That brought up a screen
                  in which you must enter your name and E-mail. When you hit submit, the
                  product automatically downloads.

                  John
                • Danny
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 8, 2007
                    --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Lt. Scott" <jtall@...> wrote:

                    > I downloaded it just fine. One link returns error 404. Then I clicked
                    > on software download on left side of screen. That brought up a screen
                    > in which you must enter your name and E-mail. When you hit submit, the
                    > product automatically downloads.

                    G'day John et al.

                    I think the bloke is protecting his investment of time and development,
                    but then this is awesome software - especially the offset calibration
                    for our less than perfect manufacture. The hole measuring, centering &
                    direct measuring facility is very useful if one calibrates the camera.
                    I calibrated mine by blueing a scrap of aluminium, scribing it gently
                    with a point in my mill and the handwheel using the dials to measure
                    0.640" x 0.480" so that 1 pixel = 1 thou. Then I moved in on the
                    rectangle, adjusted focus for a sharp image and moved to the
                    calibration screen and plugged in the numbers.

                    After that I left the setup static, slipped a vernier caliper between
                    the camera and the ali and machined a gauge block to the measurements
                    (15.25mm in my case).

                    I must find the income to pay Mike T, I feel guilty but just a
                    pensioner also - but eventually I shall pay my dues.

                    Cu Later * Danny *
                  • Joe Hood
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 19, 2007
                      Howdy,

                      I'm in the process of adapting a webcam as suggested in the Center Cam site. Fortunately I located a metal cased webcam with six LED on e-bay. it will focus down to 3cm. So from those standpoints I'm in business. I've downloaded the Center Cam software and I am presently in the process of evaluating it in the absence of any operational interface specifications or write up. I've kind of doped out the action of all the keys except for the Utility Keys.

                      Can anyone identify the purpose of these four keys and associate them with their "tag"?

                      Does anyone have access to a write up on the interface functions that they would share?

                      Does anyone know how to pay the 20 lbs from here in the USA? Is Paypal accepted?

                      Thanks,
                      Adios,
                      Joe
                    • ivymcneil
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 15, 2007
                        Hi Joe

                        I just finished my cam holder ( pic,s below ).
                        Tomorrow I'm going to try it out on the BP, I think it may make a
                        good inspection tool.

                        I tried the Utility keys and the Con key and it shut my computer down
                        with a driver error, I may need a different web cam.
                        Here's the pic,s http://lnk.in/CenterCam

                        Ivy McNeil

                        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Hood" <joehood@...> wrote:

                        > Howdy,
                        >
                        > I'm in the process of adapting a webcam as suggested in the Center
                        Cam site. Fortunately I located a metal cased webcam with six LED on
                        e-bay. it will focus down to 3cm. So from those standpoints I'm in
                        business. I've downloaded the Center Cam software and I am presently
                        in the process of evaluating it in the absence of any operational
                        interface specifications or write up. I've kind of doped out the
                        action of all the keys except for the Utility Keys.

                        > Can anyone identify the purpose of these four keys and associate
                        them with their "tag"?

                        > Does anyone have access to a write up on the interface functions
                        that they would share?

                        > Does anyone know how to pay the 20 lbs from here in the USA? Is
                        Paypal accepted?

                        > Thanks,
                        > Adios,
                        > Joe

                      • Norman Atkinson
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 16, 2007
                          Two replies!

                          Payment- I do have Mike Trethewey's address but I would suggest that
                          you write to him at
                          miketreth@...

                          I sent him an English cheque so cannot fully answer your query

                          Regarding the problem of downloading, I could not load in Win 1 or 2 or
                          ME and had to resort to my copy of XP. This was a so and so as I was
                          having to change the OS on my ancient lap top.

                          I got round the problem with copying CentreCam onto a CD on my main PC
                          and thence to the old laptop for my workshop.

                          At the same time, I got a Shumatech DRO made up for me at the UK Show
                          in Harrogate- Thanks Lester Caine- but there is the CentreCam loading.
                          Go XP or 2000. I used a cheap computer fair webcam with all the lights
                          which.

                          I hope that this helps

                          Norman