Re:Webcam for lathe and mill

  • Norman Atkinson
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
      David,
      You are writing to very ancient and computer illierate of 77
      years.
      I simply do not know how to post pictures. I have trouble with this
      new joined up writing!

      I can stumble a bit and would refer you to the CentreCam website or MEW.
      I got an old laptop which had a USB port. Mike says it will work in
      2000 and XP. It won't work in either W98 or Millenium or it will not
      for me. I scrapped everything to get XP on mine and the crap program
      for the webcam- webcam up fine. That really is first base to have
      pictures! Without the ability to get onto to CentreCam on the net on
      the laptop, I had to prove it on my PC. Getting it onto a non-internet
      PC was difficult and I solved this by getting the CentreCam program
      onto the PC's hard drive and unzipping it onto the old laptop on a
      floppy.

      Maybe you are streets ahead of this ancient one but it worked.
      Digressing somewhat, I did check last night that computer fairs still
      have this generic webcam but I have no doubt that what you have will be
      OK. Finally, I did not use Mike's webcam per the book but bought
      another make locally and went on the buy the illuminated computer fair
      one- because Mike had raised illuminating problems.

      I apologise for much repetion but I wanted to pass on the old farts
      version.

      Good Luck

      Norman
    • David V Howard
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
        Thanks Norm,
        As a junior 'old fart' (just 10 years behind you) I can appreciate
        what you say, I'm lucky - been around computers for about 33 years
        now! :-)

        Your contributions are just as valuable as anyone else's though -
        keep 'em coming.

        Cheers,
        Dave.
      • Norman Atkinson
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
          I do appreciate your kind words and wish that I could do more. I am sure that you will be surprised to fish out your webcam, down load its installation program and then get CentreCam from the net.

          As Frankie Howerd remarked 'I was amazed'
          Even without the 'round tuits' - mine are bigger than yours thing- simply putting an aligning 'gunsight'  on the miller is worth the few minutes involved.

          Norm
        • Arnie Minear
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
            All,

            I posted some pics and the model number Micro-innovations ic435c
            of the web camera I use for this. I lucked out with this camera
            because it has to be the easiest one to mount a shaft to. It comes
            apart with one screw, you toss the base and attach a shaft directly in
            the back. It even has a pilot hole in the back where you want your
            mounting screw. I use an adjustable shaft, see my photos under ARN'S
            WEB CAMERA, so I can mechanically center the camera. If you have a
            lathe it is easy to make this shaft, if not email me, I have been
            making these for guys with just a cnc router or mill.

            Oh, one other thing about this model of camera, it will focus
            incredibly close to your stock or target. Check out the close up
            photo.

            Arnie
          • David V Howard
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 15, 2007
              Thanks Arnie,
              I have already tried my webcam with Mach3 (which I see you are
              using). It is an el cheapo one with built in leds for illumination
              and also focuses amazingly close.
              However, that's as far as I got with it - I need to figure out how to
              make a suitable mount for centring in the mill spindle is all - just
              been too busy with other toys. :-)

              Cheers,
              Dave.
            • eqreservoir
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 15, 2007
                I've tried to download the software, from the CentreCam website, and
                always get an error 404 message. I have emailed the sites webmaster
                and have yet to get a response. Hopefully they will have it back
                soon. If not maybe someone will be able to email me a copy of the
                software.

                Enjoy.
                HTj
              • Norman Atkinson
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                  I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.

                  You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from Google

                  Lets us know please of how you got on.

                  Cheers

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                    This is the way I've tried more than once: I went through google-
                    CentreCam- from there I click on CentreCam which takes me to this
                    link- http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm from there I
                    click on the software bar- went to download bar and clicked- and I
                    get an error 404 message. Tried one more time and get the same error
                    message.
                    Enjoy.
                    HTj

                    --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Atkinson" <norman@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.
                    >
                    > You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from
                    Google

                    > Lets us know please of how you got on.
                    >
                    > Cheers

                  • William Rutiser
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                      eqreservoir wrote:
                      > This is the way I've tried more than once: I went through google-
                      > CentreCam- from there I click on CentreCam which takes me to this
                      > link- http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm from there I
                      > click on the software bar- went to download bar and clicked- and I
                      > get an error 404 message. Tried one more time and get the same error
                      > message.
                      > Enjoy.
                      > HTj
                      >
                      > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Atkinson" <norman@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      >> I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.
                      >>
                      >> You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from
                      >>
                      > Google
                      >
                      >> Lets us know please of how you got on.
                      >>
                      >> Cheers

                      There are (at least) two buttons on the site that say "Download". One
                      works while the other doesn't.

                      Start at
                      http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm

                      This should give you a page with a "CentreCam" centered at the top. The
                      page has a column of 9 dark blue buttons along the left edge. The sixth
                      button is labeled "Software". The seventh button is labeled "Software
                      Download".

                      Click on the "Software Download" button.

                      This should take you to a page headed "Software Download", some
                      instructional text, and several boxes to fill in. Below the box labeled
                      "Comments" is a "Submit" button. Fill in the boxes and click the
                      "Submit" button. What you see next is browser dependent. You should see
                      a browser dialog that gives a choice to save a file named "centrecam12.zip".

                      If you were to press the "Software" button that is just above the
                      "Software Download" button, you will be taken to a page that describes
                      the software and the features of Version 1.2. At the bottom is a
                      clickable link labeled "Download Version 1.2". That leads to a 404 error.

                      Good Luck,
                      Bill Rutiser
                      Gaithersburg, MD, US
                    • Lt. Scott
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 7, 2007
                        I downloaded it just fine. One link returns error 404. Then I clicked
                        on software download on left side of screen. That brought up a screen
                        in which you must enter your name and E-mail. When you hit submit, the
                        product automatically downloads.

                        John
                      • Danny
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 8, 2007
                          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Lt. Scott" <jtall@...> wrote:

                          > I downloaded it just fine. One link returns error 404. Then I clicked
                          > on software download on left side of screen. That brought up a screen
                          > in which you must enter your name and E-mail. When you hit submit, the
                          > product automatically downloads.

                          G'day John et al.

                          I think the bloke is protecting his investment of time and development,
                          but then this is awesome software - especially the offset calibration
                          for our less than perfect manufacture. The hole measuring, centering &
                          direct measuring facility is very useful if one calibrates the camera.
                          I calibrated mine by blueing a scrap of aluminium, scribing it gently
                          with a point in my mill and the handwheel using the dials to measure
                          0.640" x 0.480" so that 1 pixel = 1 thou. Then I moved in on the
                          rectangle, adjusted focus for a sharp image and moved to the
                          calibration screen and plugged in the numbers.

                          After that I left the setup static, slipped a vernier caliper between
                          the camera and the ali and machined a gauge block to the measurements
                          (15.25mm in my case).

                          I must find the income to pay Mike T, I feel guilty but just a
                          pensioner also - but eventually I shall pay my dues.

                          Cu Later * Danny *
                        • Joe Hood
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 19, 2007
                            Howdy,

                            I'm in the process of adapting a webcam as suggested in the Center Cam site. Fortunately I located a metal cased webcam with six LED on e-bay. it will focus down to 3cm. So from those standpoints I'm in business. I've downloaded the Center Cam software and I am presently in the process of evaluating it in the absence of any operational interface specifications or write up. I've kind of doped out the action of all the keys except for the Utility Keys.

                            Can anyone identify the purpose of these four keys and associate them with their "tag"?

                            Does anyone have access to a write up on the interface functions that they would share?

                            Does anyone know how to pay the 20 lbs from here in the USA? Is Paypal accepted?

                            Thanks,
                            Adios,
                            Joe
                          • ivymcneil
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 15, 2007
                              Hi Joe

                              I just finished my cam holder ( pic,s below ).
                              Tomorrow I'm going to try it out on the BP, I think it may make a
                              good inspection tool.

                              I tried the Utility keys and the Con key and it shut my computer down
                              with a driver error, I may need a different web cam.
                              Here's the pic,s http://lnk.in/CenterCam

                              Ivy McNeil

                              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Hood" <joehood@...> wrote:

                              > Howdy,
                              >
                              > I'm in the process of adapting a webcam as suggested in the Center
                              Cam site. Fortunately I located a metal cased webcam with six LED on
                              e-bay. it will focus down to 3cm. So from those standpoints I'm in
                              business. I've downloaded the Center Cam software and I am presently
                              in the process of evaluating it in the absence of any operational
                              interface specifications or write up. I've kind of doped out the
                              action of all the keys except for the Utility Keys.

                              > Can anyone identify the purpose of these four keys and associate
                              them with their "tag"?

                              > Does anyone have access to a write up on the interface functions
                              that they would share?

                              > Does anyone know how to pay the 20 lbs from here in the USA? Is
                              Paypal accepted?

                              > Thanks,
                              > Adios,
                              > Joe

                            • Norman Atkinson
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 16, 2007
                                Two replies!

                                Payment- I do have Mike Trethewey's address but I would suggest that
                                you write to him at
                                miketreth@...

                                I sent him an English cheque so cannot fully answer your query

                                Regarding the problem of downloading, I could not load in Win 1 or 2 or
                                ME and had to resort to my copy of XP. This was a so and so as I was
                                having to change the OS on my ancient lap top.

                                I got round the problem with copying CentreCam onto a CD on my main PC
                                and thence to the old laptop for my workshop.

                                At the same time, I got a Shumatech DRO made up for me at the UK Show
                                in Harrogate- Thanks Lester Caine- but there is the CentreCam loading.
                                Go XP or 2000. I used a cheap computer fair webcam with all the lights
                                which.

                                I hope that this helps

                                Norman