Re:Webcam for lathe and mill

  • David V Howard
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
      Thanks for the replies Danny and Norm.
      I already have a webcam that sounds like the one you used Norm, so
      when I get around to it (where can you buy round tuits anyway?) I'll
      use that.

      Cheers,
      Dave.
      PS - forgot to look in forum files, but if you haven't already posted
      some pics and info there I'd appreciate seeing what you can post.
    • Norman Atkinson
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
        David,
        You are writing to very ancient and computer illierate of 77
        years.
        I simply do not know how to post pictures. I have trouble with this
        new joined up writing!

        I can stumble a bit and would refer you to the CentreCam website or MEW.
        I got an old laptop which had a USB port. Mike says it will work in
        2000 and XP. It won't work in either W98 or Millenium or it will not
        for me. I scrapped everything to get XP on mine and the crap program
        for the webcam- webcam up fine. That really is first base to have
        pictures! Without the ability to get onto to CentreCam on the net on
        the laptop, I had to prove it on my PC. Getting it onto a non-internet
        PC was difficult and I solved this by getting the CentreCam program
        onto the PC's hard drive and unzipping it onto the old laptop on a
        floppy.

        Maybe you are streets ahead of this ancient one but it worked.
        Digressing somewhat, I did check last night that computer fairs still
        have this generic webcam but I have no doubt that what you have will be
        OK. Finally, I did not use Mike's webcam per the book but bought
        another make locally and went on the buy the illuminated computer fair
        one- because Mike had raised illuminating problems.

        I apologise for much repetion but I wanted to pass on the old farts
        version.

        Good Luck

        Norman
      • David V Howard
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
          Thanks Norm,
          As a junior 'old fart' (just 10 years behind you) I can appreciate
          what you say, I'm lucky - been around computers for about 33 years
          now! :-)

          Your contributions are just as valuable as anyone else's though -
          keep 'em coming.

          Cheers,
          Dave.
        • Norman Atkinson
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
            I do appreciate your kind words and wish that I could do more. I am sure that you will be surprised to fish out your webcam, down load its installation program and then get CentreCam from the net.

            As Frankie Howerd remarked 'I was amazed'
            Even without the 'round tuits' - mine are bigger than yours thing- simply putting an aligning 'gunsight'  on the miller is worth the few minutes involved.

            Norm
          • Arnie Minear
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
              All,

              I posted some pics and the model number Micro-innovations ic435c
              of the web camera I use for this. I lucked out with this camera
              because it has to be the easiest one to mount a shaft to. It comes
              apart with one screw, you toss the base and attach a shaft directly in
              the back. It even has a pilot hole in the back where you want your
              mounting screw. I use an adjustable shaft, see my photos under ARN'S
              WEB CAMERA, so I can mechanically center the camera. If you have a
              lathe it is easy to make this shaft, if not email me, I have been
              making these for guys with just a cnc router or mill.

              Oh, one other thing about this model of camera, it will focus
              incredibly close to your stock or target. Check out the close up
              photo.

              Arnie
            • David V Howard
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 15, 2007
                Thanks Arnie,
                I have already tried my webcam with Mach3 (which I see you are
                using). It is an el cheapo one with built in leds for illumination
                and also focuses amazingly close.
                However, that's as far as I got with it - I need to figure out how to
                make a suitable mount for centring in the mill spindle is all - just
                been too busy with other toys. :-)

                Cheers,
                Dave.
              • eqreservoir
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 15, 2007
                  I've tried to download the software, from the CentreCam website, and
                  always get an error 404 message. I have emailed the sites webmaster
                  and have yet to get a response. Hopefully they will have it back
                  soon. If not maybe someone will be able to email me a copy of the
                  software.

                  Enjoy.
                  HTj
                • Norman Atkinson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                    I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.

                    You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from Google

                    Lets us know please of how you got on.

                    Cheers

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                      This is the way I've tried more than once: I went through google-
                      CentreCam- from there I click on CentreCam which takes me to this
                      link- http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm from there I
                      click on the software bar- went to download bar and clicked- and I
                      get an error 404 message. Tried one more time and get the same error
                      message.
                      Enjoy.
                      HTj

                      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Atkinson" <norman@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.
                      >
                      > You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from
                      Google

                      > Lets us know please of how you got on.
                      >
                      > Cheers

                    • William Rutiser
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                        eqreservoir wrote:
                        > This is the way I've tried more than once: I went through google-
                        > CentreCam- from there I click on CentreCam which takes me to this
                        > link- http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm from there I
                        > click on the software bar- went to download bar and clicked- and I
                        > get an error 404 message. Tried one more time and get the same error
                        > message.
                        > Enjoy.
                        > HTj
                        >
                        > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Atkinson" <norman@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        >> I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.
                        >>
                        >> You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from
                        >>
                        > Google
                        >
                        >> Lets us know please of how you got on.
                        >>
                        >> Cheers

                        There are (at least) two buttons on the site that say "Download". One
                        works while the other doesn't.

                        Start at
                        http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm

                        This should give you a page with a "CentreCam" centered at the top. The
                        page has a column of 9 dark blue buttons along the left edge. The sixth
                        button is labeled "Software". The seventh button is labeled "Software
                        Download".

                        Click on the "Software Download" button.

                        This should take you to a page headed "Software Download", some
                        instructional text, and several boxes to fill in. Below the box labeled
                        "Comments" is a "Submit" button. Fill in the boxes and click the
                        "Submit" button. What you see next is browser dependent. You should see
                        a browser dialog that gives a choice to save a file named "centrecam12.zip".

                        If you were to press the "Software" button that is just above the
                        "Software Download" button, you will be taken to a page that describes
                        the software and the features of Version 1.2. At the bottom is a
                        clickable link labeled "Download Version 1.2". That leads to a 404 error.

                        Good Luck,
                        Bill Rutiser
                        Gaithersburg, MD, US
                      • Lt. Scott
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 7, 2007
                          I downloaded it just fine. One link returns error 404. Then I clicked
                          on software download on left side of screen. That brought up a screen
                          in which you must enter your name and E-mail. When you hit submit, the
                          product automatically downloads.

                          John
                        • Danny
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 8, 2007
                            --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Lt. Scott" <jtall@...> wrote:

                            > I downloaded it just fine. One link returns error 404. Then I clicked
                            > on software download on left side of screen. That brought up a screen
                            > in which you must enter your name and E-mail. When you hit submit, the
                            > product automatically downloads.

                            G'day John et al.

                            I think the bloke is protecting his investment of time and development,
                            but then this is awesome software - especially the offset calibration
                            for our less than perfect manufacture. The hole measuring, centering &
                            direct measuring facility is very useful if one calibrates the camera.
                            I calibrated mine by blueing a scrap of aluminium, scribing it gently
                            with a point in my mill and the handwheel using the dials to measure
                            0.640" x 0.480" so that 1 pixel = 1 thou. Then I moved in on the
                            rectangle, adjusted focus for a sharp image and moved to the
                            calibration screen and plugged in the numbers.

                            After that I left the setup static, slipped a vernier caliper between
                            the camera and the ali and machined a gauge block to the measurements
                            (15.25mm in my case).

                            I must find the income to pay Mike T, I feel guilty but just a
                            pensioner also - but eventually I shall pay my dues.

                            Cu Later * Danny *
                          • Joe Hood
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 19, 2007
                              Howdy,

                              I'm in the process of adapting a webcam as suggested in the Center Cam site. Fortunately I located a metal cased webcam with six LED on e-bay. it will focus down to 3cm. So from those standpoints I'm in business. I've downloaded the Center Cam software and I am presently in the process of evaluating it in the absence of any operational interface specifications or write up. I've kind of doped out the action of all the keys except for the Utility Keys.

                              Can anyone identify the purpose of these four keys and associate them with their "tag"?

                              Does anyone have access to a write up on the interface functions that they would share?

                              Does anyone know how to pay the 20 lbs from here in the USA? Is Paypal accepted?

                              Thanks,
                              Adios,
                              Joe
                            • ivymcneil
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 15, 2007
                                Hi Joe

                                I just finished my cam holder ( pic,s below ).
                                Tomorrow I'm going to try it out on the BP, I think it may make a
                                good inspection tool.

                                I tried the Utility keys and the Con key and it shut my computer down
                                with a driver error, I may need a different web cam.
                                Here's the pic,s http://lnk.in/CenterCam

                                Ivy McNeil

                                --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Hood" <joehood@...> wrote:

                                > Howdy,
                                >
                                > I'm in the process of adapting a webcam as suggested in the Center
                                Cam site. Fortunately I located a metal cased webcam with six LED on
                                e-bay. it will focus down to 3cm. So from those standpoints I'm in
                                business. I've downloaded the Center Cam software and I am presently
                                in the process of evaluating it in the absence of any operational
                                interface specifications or write up. I've kind of doped out the
                                action of all the keys except for the Utility Keys.

                                > Can anyone identify the purpose of these four keys and associate
                                them with their "tag"?

                                > Does anyone have access to a write up on the interface functions
                                that they would share?

                                > Does anyone know how to pay the 20 lbs from here in the USA? Is
                                Paypal accepted?

                                > Thanks,
                                > Adios,
                                > Joe

                              • Norman Atkinson
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 16, 2007
                                  Two replies!

                                  Payment- I do have Mike Trethewey's address but I would suggest that
                                  you write to him at
                                  miketreth@...

                                  I sent him an English cheque so cannot fully answer your query

                                  Regarding the problem of downloading, I could not load in Win 1 or 2 or
                                  ME and had to resort to my copy of XP. This was a so and so as I was
                                  having to change the OS on my ancient lap top.

                                  I got round the problem with copying CentreCam onto a CD on my main PC
                                  and thence to the old laptop for my workshop.

                                  At the same time, I got a Shumatech DRO made up for me at the UK Show
                                  in Harrogate- Thanks Lester Caine- but there is the CentreCam loading.
                                  Go XP or 2000. I used a cheap computer fair webcam with all the lights
                                  which.

                                  I hope that this helps

                                  Norman