Webcam for lathe and mill

  • Danny
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 9, 2007
      G'day all.

      I'm new here and I like what I see from down here in Oz.

      I have just completed a new project that might be interest.
      A webcam based center finder that is suprisingly accurate. The article
      was published in the English magazine "Model Engineer's Workshop" #121
      & #122. As one does, I modified the design to suit locally available
      hardware and turned the spindle to 12mm to suit my collets for the
      tailstock and mill. I have sent a few photos to the site but as a
      newbie they have to make it past the censor. Anyway the software is at
      http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm and imho worth the 20
      quid. Cu Later * Danny M *
    • David V Howard
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 12, 2007
        G'Day Danny,
        Welcome to the group.

        I saw the MEW articles and thought about making one of those web-cam
        thingies but promptly forgot about it again (too many things to play
        with and not enough time!).
        What camera did you use?

        Cheers,
        Dave (in Canberra).
      • Norman Atkinson
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 12, 2007
          I used a cheap £7 or $12 one from a computer fair- no name to speak of!
          I had followed through CentreCam and found this webcam with fancy little lights. Actually they light up the job- which is needed.
          I put in the normal disc a la 'el cheapo' onto a crap laptop and it lit up- showing aged features. Who the geyser was is - well - could it be really me?
          Using a crap laptop, I did manage XP prof but had to sort of put CentreCam onto my good PC and then transfer it onto crap-top.
          It works!
          Trethewan charges £20 for a full non demo version.

          Does this help? Come back, if you need more details.

          Norm

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 12, 2007
            --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, David V Howard <sixcyl@...> wrote:

            > G'Day Danny,
            > Welcome to the group.

            Thank you Dave.

            > What camera did you use?

            I purchased my small webcam from Dick Smith's for about $49.
            The reason that I selected this model was because it has a steel
            body (for rigidity) and inbuilt white led illumination.

            If you look at the photo's you should see what I mean.

            I found it is also useful for checking tool height and edge
            condition. Most interesting way to check for rock in the slides
            by zeroing in on them - one can acually measure the deflection
            (which might be of use if ajusting gibs etc). At least it's a
            quick and dirty way to get my tailstock aligned.

            Runs well on an old Dell P3 laptop.

            I am going to register the CentreCam software btw as there are
            still a few minor bugs. ie, to capture a screen I had to think
            a bit. (Hit SHIFT PRTSCN and open Paintbrush, then Paste).

            Bottom line - it works surprisingly well.

            Cu Later * Danny *
          • David V Howard
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
              Thanks for the replies Danny and Norm.
              I already have a webcam that sounds like the one you used Norm, so
              when I get around to it (where can you buy round tuits anyway?) I'll
              use that.

              Cheers,
              Dave.
              PS - forgot to look in forum files, but if you haven't already posted
              some pics and info there I'd appreciate seeing what you can post.
            • Norman Atkinson
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
                David,
                You are writing to very ancient and computer illierate of 77
                years.
                I simply do not know how to post pictures. I have trouble with this
                new joined up writing!

                I can stumble a bit and would refer you to the CentreCam website or MEW.
                I got an old laptop which had a USB port. Mike says it will work in
                2000 and XP. It won't work in either W98 or Millenium or it will not
                for me. I scrapped everything to get XP on mine and the crap program
                for the webcam- webcam up fine. That really is first base to have
                pictures! Without the ability to get onto to CentreCam on the net on
                the laptop, I had to prove it on my PC. Getting it onto a non-internet
                PC was difficult and I solved this by getting the CentreCam program
                onto the PC's hard drive and unzipping it onto the old laptop on a
                floppy.

                Maybe you are streets ahead of this ancient one but it worked.
                Digressing somewhat, I did check last night that computer fairs still
                have this generic webcam but I have no doubt that what you have will be
                OK. Finally, I did not use Mike's webcam per the book but bought
                another make locally and went on the buy the illuminated computer fair
                one- because Mike had raised illuminating problems.

                I apologise for much repetion but I wanted to pass on the old farts
                version.

                Good Luck

                Norman
              • David V Howard
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
                  Thanks Norm,
                  As a junior 'old fart' (just 10 years behind you) I can appreciate
                  what you say, I'm lucky - been around computers for about 33 years
                  now! :-)

                  Your contributions are just as valuable as anyone else's though -
                  keep 'em coming.

                  Cheers,
                  Dave.
                • Norman Atkinson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
                    I do appreciate your kind words and wish that I could do more. I am sure that you will be surprised to fish out your webcam, down load its installation program and then get CentreCam from the net.

                    As Frankie Howerd remarked 'I was amazed'
                    Even without the 'round tuits' - mine are bigger than yours thing- simply putting an aligning 'gunsight'  on the miller is worth the few minutes involved.

                    Norm
                  • Arnie Minear
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 14, 2007
                      All,

                      I posted some pics and the model number Micro-innovations ic435c
                      of the web camera I use for this. I lucked out with this camera
                      because it has to be the easiest one to mount a shaft to. It comes
                      apart with one screw, you toss the base and attach a shaft directly in
                      the back. It even has a pilot hole in the back where you want your
                      mounting screw. I use an adjustable shaft, see my photos under ARN'S
                      WEB CAMERA, so I can mechanically center the camera. If you have a
                      lathe it is easy to make this shaft, if not email me, I have been
                      making these for guys with just a cnc router or mill.

                      Oh, one other thing about this model of camera, it will focus
                      incredibly close to your stock or target. Check out the close up
                      photo.

                      Arnie
                    • David V Howard
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 15, 2007
                        Thanks Arnie,
                        I have already tried my webcam with Mach3 (which I see you are
                        using). It is an el cheapo one with built in leds for illumination
                        and also focuses amazingly close.
                        However, that's as far as I got with it - I need to figure out how to
                        make a suitable mount for centring in the mill spindle is all - just
                        been too busy with other toys. :-)

                        Cheers,
                        Dave.
                      • eqreservoir
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 15, 2007
                          I've tried to download the software, from the CentreCam website, and
                          always get an error 404 message. I have emailed the sites webmaster
                          and have yet to get a response. Hopefully they will have it back
                          soon. If not maybe someone will be able to email me a copy of the
                          software.

                          Enjoy.
                          HTj
                        • Norman Atkinson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                            I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.

                            You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from Google

                            Lets us know please of how you got on.

                            Cheers

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                              This is the way I've tried more than once: I went through google-
                              CentreCam- from there I click on CentreCam which takes me to this
                              link- http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm from there I
                              click on the software bar- went to download bar and clicked- and I
                              get an error 404 message. Tried one more time and get the same error
                              message.
                              Enjoy.
                              HTj

                              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Atkinson" <norman@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.
                              >
                              > You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from
                              Google

                              > Lets us know please of how you got on.
                              >
                              > Cheers

                            • William Rutiser
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 16, 2007
                                eqreservoir wrote:
                                > This is the way I've tried more than once: I went through google-
                                > CentreCam- from there I click on CentreCam which takes me to this
                                > link- http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm from there I
                                > click on the software bar- went to download bar and clicked- and I
                                > get an error 404 message. Tried one more time and get the same error
                                > message.
                                > Enjoy.
                                > HTj
                                >
                                > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Atkinson" <norman@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                >> I have just gone- Google- CentreCam- and it was ready to down load.
                                >>
                                >> You can E-mail me at norman@... if you fail. I recall going in from
                                >>
                                > Google
                                >
                                >> Lets us know please of how you got on.
                                >>
                                >> Cheers

                                There are (at least) two buttons on the site that say "Download". One
                                works while the other doesn't.

                                Start at
                                http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm

                                This should give you a page with a "CentreCam" centered at the top. The
                                page has a column of 9 dark blue buttons along the left edge. The sixth
                                button is labeled "Software". The seventh button is labeled "Software
                                Download".

                                Click on the "Software Download" button.

                                This should take you to a page headed "Software Download", some
                                instructional text, and several boxes to fill in. Below the box labeled
                                "Comments" is a "Submit" button. Fill in the boxes and click the
                                "Submit" button. What you see next is browser dependent. You should see
                                a browser dialog that gives a choice to save a file named "centrecam12.zip".

                                If you were to press the "Software" button that is just above the
                                "Software Download" button, you will be taken to a page that describes
                                the software and the features of Version 1.2. At the bottom is a
                                clickable link labeled "Download Version 1.2". That leads to a 404 error.

                                Good Luck,
                                Bill Rutiser
                                Gaithersburg, MD, US
                              • Lt. Scott
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 7, 2007
                                  I downloaded it just fine. One link returns error 404. Then I clicked
                                  on software download on left side of screen. That brought up a screen
                                  in which you must enter your name and E-mail. When you hit submit, the
                                  product automatically downloads.

                                  John
                                • Danny
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 8, 2007
                                    --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Lt. Scott" <jtall@...> wrote:

                                    > I downloaded it just fine. One link returns error 404. Then I clicked
                                    > on software download on left side of screen. That brought up a screen
                                    > in which you must enter your name and E-mail. When you hit submit, the
                                    > product automatically downloads.

                                    G'day John et al.

                                    I think the bloke is protecting his investment of time and development,
                                    but then this is awesome software - especially the offset calibration
                                    for our less than perfect manufacture. The hole measuring, centering &
                                    direct measuring facility is very useful if one calibrates the camera.
                                    I calibrated mine by blueing a scrap of aluminium, scribing it gently
                                    with a point in my mill and the handwheel using the dials to measure
                                    0.640" x 0.480" so that 1 pixel = 1 thou. Then I moved in on the
                                    rectangle, adjusted focus for a sharp image and moved to the
                                    calibration screen and plugged in the numbers.

                                    After that I left the setup static, slipped a vernier caliper between
                                    the camera and the ali and machined a gauge block to the measurements
                                    (15.25mm in my case).

                                    I must find the income to pay Mike T, I feel guilty but just a
                                    pensioner also - but eventually I shall pay my dues.

                                    Cu Later * Danny *
                                  • Joe Hood
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 19, 2007
                                      Howdy,

                                      I'm in the process of adapting a webcam as suggested in the Center Cam site. Fortunately I located a metal cased webcam with six LED on e-bay. it will focus down to 3cm. So from those standpoints I'm in business. I've downloaded the Center Cam software and I am presently in the process of evaluating it in the absence of any operational interface specifications or write up. I've kind of doped out the action of all the keys except for the Utility Keys.

                                      Can anyone identify the purpose of these four keys and associate them with their "tag"?

                                      Does anyone have access to a write up on the interface functions that they would share?

                                      Does anyone know how to pay the 20 lbs from here in the USA? Is Paypal accepted?

                                      Thanks,
                                      Adios,
                                      Joe
                                    • ivymcneil
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 15, 2007
                                        Hi Joe

                                        I just finished my cam holder ( pic,s below ).
                                        Tomorrow I'm going to try it out on the BP, I think it may make a
                                        good inspection tool.

                                        I tried the Utility keys and the Con key and it shut my computer down
                                        with a driver error, I may need a different web cam.
                                        Here's the pic,s http://lnk.in/CenterCam

                                        Ivy McNeil

                                        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Hood" <joehood@...> wrote:

                                        > Howdy,
                                        >
                                        > I'm in the process of adapting a webcam as suggested in the Center
                                        Cam site. Fortunately I located a metal cased webcam with six LED on
                                        e-bay. it will focus down to 3cm. So from those standpoints I'm in
                                        business. I've downloaded the Center Cam software and I am presently
                                        in the process of evaluating it in the absence of any operational
                                        interface specifications or write up. I've kind of doped out the
                                        action of all the keys except for the Utility Keys.

                                        > Can anyone identify the purpose of these four keys and associate
                                        them with their "tag"?

                                        > Does anyone have access to a write up on the interface functions
                                        that they would share?

                                        > Does anyone know how to pay the 20 lbs from here in the USA? Is
                                        Paypal accepted?

                                        > Thanks,
                                        > Adios,
                                        > Joe

                                      • Norman Atkinson
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 16, 2007
                                          Two replies!

                                          Payment- I do have Mike Trethewey's address but I would suggest that
                                          you write to him at
                                          miketreth@...

                                          I sent him an English cheque so cannot fully answer your query

                                          Regarding the problem of downloading, I could not load in Win 1 or 2 or
                                          ME and had to resort to my copy of XP. This was a so and so as I was
                                          having to change the OS on my ancient lap top.

                                          I got round the problem with copying CentreCam onto a CD on my main PC
                                          and thence to the old laptop for my workshop.

                                          At the same time, I got a Shumatech DRO made up for me at the UK Show
                                          in Harrogate- Thanks Lester Caine- but there is the CentreCam loading.
                                          Go XP or 2000. I used a cheap computer fair webcam with all the lights
                                          which.

                                          I hope that this helps

                                          Norman