pl advice re 7x10

  • pharsee
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2002
      hi all,
      i need to mount a 4 jaw scroll chuck onto a 7x10 HF mini lathe. i
      cant find 4 jaw scroll chucks that are small size. the smallest one
      is 5 in. is there a place that has 3 in 4 jaw scroll chucks
      economically?
      i also want to know if i can buy a plate to mount a taig or sherline
      4 jaw scroll chuck onto the 7x10 mini lathe. the taig has a 3/4 x16
      thread. i am not a machinist so i dont know how to get stuff done and
      i use the lathe for a different purpose (wood turning).
      can anyone sell me such a back plate for to mount a taig or sherline
      chuck onto a 7x10 mini lathe?
      pl advice by sending me email directly.
      thank you very much.
      phar
    • marvinh336@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2002
        Yes, go to Micro Mark or Littlemachinedshop.com. They both have 4 jaw chucks
        that fit a HF 7x10. J&L Industrial has then also. Go to Varmit Al's site
        where he has a discussion of the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. I recall he also
        discusses a 4 inch 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck and the largest you can likely get
        on the machine. There is a way a drill out the cross slide and remount the
        tool holder to gain about an extra 2 inches in the diameter of work you can
        safely turn. I think that would be the upper limit but would not be bad for a
        small hobby lathe.'
        Hope this helps.
        MarvH

      • jjfear
        Message 3 of 4 , May 12, 2002
          Marv, I don't think he was enquiring about a standard 4-jaw chuck.
          His use of the term "scroll" indicates that he is talking about a
          self-centering 4-jaw, which they do make. I asked him this on another
          group and he has never replied.

        • marvinh336@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 13, 2002
            Thanks for the information; I really never thought
            about it since I use the dial indicator to center
            on the 4 jaw chuck.
            MarvH