Re: [mlathemods] was Question for the publishers now component fitting

  • Ian Newman
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2 3:44 AM
      Hi,

      Tips with firm jointed calipers -

      To nudge them closed just a tiny bit, tap one leg
      lightly on the bench - pretty obvious really.

      To nudge them open just a tiny bit, hold them with the
      legs pointing upwards and tap the joint on the bench.
      Not so obvious - I've no idea why this works but I was
      taught it many years ago by someone older and wiser
      than I shall ever be.

      Ian.

      --- David Halfpenny <davidhalfpenny@...>
      wrote:

      > Centuries-old stiff-joint calipers are a low-tech
      > but very sensitive
      > comparator, quicker and easier to use than these
      > digital caliper thingys.

    • David Halfpenny
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2 3:51 AM
        From: "David Clark" <david.anthony.clark@...>

        > Hi David
        > (Is everyone called David)

        Now let's not get started on Elitism!

        > The one thing I wanted to know (and never found out) was
        > because they were measuring 25 year old planes, were they making
        > new Nimrods that were 25 years old?

        At least the metal was getting a fresh start. Flying can be a fatiguing
        business at the best of times, and military pilots can be a bit gung-ho. I
        imagine the mission-critical electronics were all-new.

        David 1/2d
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2 4:43 AM
          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, David Clark
          <david.anthony.clark@...> wrote:

          > Hi David
          > (Is everyone called David)

          According to the Monty Python Rules, you should all use Bruce to save
          confusion. It helped a lot when I was in a group with four or five
          other Michaels.

          I've been following along on this and an assortment of other threads
          and do believe that this particular Bruce ... er, David will fit in
          with the groups quite nicely. He's almost as crazy as the rest of the
          lot.

          Best regards,

          Kludge ... er, Bruce ... er, Michael ... <G>
        • jim.klessig@eticonformity.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2 10:07 AM
            Re:component fitting

            David Wrote
            "The one thing I wanted to know (and never found out) was
            because they were measuring 25 year old planes, were they making
            new Nimrods that were 25 years old?"

            NO they were making brand new ones, that won't last any longer than a 25 year old one.

          • jim.klessig@eticonformity.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2 10:07 AM
              Re: was Question for the publishers now component fitting

              Ian Wrote
              "To nudge them closed just a tiny bit, tap one leg
              lightly on the bench - pretty obvious really.

              To nudge them open just a tiny bit, hold them with the
              legs pointing upwards and tap the joint on the bench.
              Not so obvious - I've no idea why this works but I was
              taught it many years ago by someone older and wiser
              than I shall ever be."

              This works for the same reason, both directions.
              The center of mass of each arm is out past the
              pivot point. SO the arm tends to keep going when
               the rest of the divider (in this case the pivoted
              end) stops, forcing it to rotate open.

              .