shake table

  • yangwuchenchiaolin
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
      I am trying to test a camera encloser I have built. The encloser has a
      ccd video camera and some electronics inside and I am interested to
      know if the constant vibration from a nearby highway, wind, etc. will
      cause the camera, lens or other parts to come loose with time. The
      unit under test weighs about 12 pounds.

      To test the unit I want to build (or buy cheap) a shake table. I would
      like to be able to adjust the frequency (and if possible the
      amplitude) of the shaking in order to simulate a year's installed
      shaking within a day or two on the test stand.

      Does anyone have any info or plans or advice for such a contraption.

      thanks,

      David
    • walt dreyfus
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
        Use a hand jig saw they shake mount a piece of wood to the base turn it
        right side up. Mount it.
        I use it on my model airplane radios to test them It works great.

        WALT

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
          David,

          Here's another idea or two. Attach it to an orbital sander or use a motor with a weight offset to one side, kind of like a cam. That ought to shake the "L" out of it.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2006
            --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "yangwuchenchiaolin"
            <yangwuchenchiaolin@...> wrote:

            > To test the unit I want to build (or buy cheap) a shake table.

            My neighbor built a sifting table for his garden and rigidly mounted a
            cheap AC motor with a pulley to it. A big chunk of the cast iron
            pulley was torched off so the whole table was out of balance. Worked.

            The vibrator in your pager is essentially a tiny motor with a
            pulley/disk mounted off center so it is eccentric.

            William Fisher
          • yangwuchenchiaolin
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
              To all those that responded -- thanks. Great ideas for me to build on.

              David