Lathe grinding carriage

  • Norman Atkinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
      Hi JWE,
      As an aside, there IS an article in ME which involved using a carriage and grindstone wheel.
      No idea of when except old Whiston supplied it.

      It involved grinding a lump out of a vee bed and gluing a steel shim in place. Thereafter, the carriage or chariot was used.

      I have it somewhere- but where?

      I am also trying to add David Lammas's Lathe Renovation to MyMyford forum. I have all 12 sheets.

      Regards to you all.

      Norman

    • uhrgerat
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
        Norman and JWE,
        Yes, I should have mentioned in my original post
        that I'd read the article you're both refering
        to--the author grinds the ways on his lathe and
        then uses shim stock glued to the ways with
        Loc-Tite. His description of the grinding
        carriage was pretty sketchy. I was hoping
        someone else had some experience with it, but
        it's a pretty esoteric subject. Oh, well, maybe
        I'll write an article on it! ;o)

        Thanks
        Jim

        --- Norman Atkinson