Re: [mlathemods] 7" x 10" PRECISION MINI LATHE

  • Nick Shorten
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 23, 2006
      I bought the Micromark version. While these lathes can be a bit rougharound teh edges, I think they are great machines for the price. Although you can get a larger, much better quality lathe for another $400 or $500 more, that's a big price difference. With a little bit of cleaning and tweaking, you can end up with a very capable little lathe that is still small enough to move around without needing to put wheels on it.
      Some people have turned out amazing things with these lathes.

      Aaron Pasteris <aarons_groups@...> wrote: I have the Homier version (7x12) and you can't really go wrong for the price. I probably have about 30Hrs into cleanup and tweaks. Most of this time is in learning how do to the tweaks! Don't be stingy on the cleanup time, this is where you will learn the most.

      If you are learning, the 7x lathes are great because you can tear them down by yourself, clean it up and back together in less than an hour. I do this about every 2-3 months, more often if I am abusing it with stainless.

      As far as precision, my head stock was pointing down and forward 0.015 at 8". Fixed that with aluminum foil shims (forget whose suggestion). Spindle runout does not even twitch the pointer on my DTI. The taper runout causes it to barely twitch (0.0005 DTI). I can easily get down to tenths with care now and if I can do it, anyone can.

      Aaron
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 23, 2006
        Mike,

        I am located in north Florida. Do you vacation here?

        Frank

        http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=0947420922061172919&NTITEM=B2229

        > > www.busybeetools.ca # B2229
        > >

        > > uhrgerat <uhrgerat@...> wrote:
        > > I'll second (third?) that. I've got a
        > > wonderful
        > > 13" LeBlond that needs a bit of work (!). I'll
        > > be buying a 7x12" lathe to make replacement parts
        > > for it and accessories for a Rivett 918.
        > >
        > > Get the minilathe, look at the minilathe.com site
        > > and do the upgrades/improvements they outline and
        > > have a blast. Then decide how much you really
        > > want a bigger lathe.
        > >
        > > Jim
        > > PS--if you decide to get a bigger lathe but
        > > really can't afford a screw-cutting lathe, a
        > > secondary operations lathe like the 918 can be
        > > converted to a screw-cutting lathe, although it's
        > > definitely not a quick and easy project. No one
        > > wants secondary ops lathes so they go for a
        > > heckuva lot less money. I got mine for $250
        > > including shipping. But, you'll need the
        > > minilathe first to make the parts you need.
        > >
        > > PPS--another advantage to secondary ops lathes.
        > > Because they don't have a saddle riding up and
        > > down the ways constantly, the wear on the ways is
        > > very minimal even on an old machine; mine dates
        > > to the early 1950s and the wear is virtually
        > > undetectable. Just something to file away for
        > > future thought.
        > >
        > > --- Brian Drummond <brian@...>
        > > wrote:

        > > > IMHO. ANY lathe is better than NO lathe and
        > > > if you wait for the perfect bigger lathe, NO
        > > > lathe is what you have right now.
        > > >
        > > > Plus, when you finally find a screaming deal on
        > > > that beautiful classic
        > > > lathe, you'll probably need the 7x10 to make
        > > > parts for it, until it has
        > > > enough components to work on its own...
        > > >
        > > > - Brian

        > > protection around
        > > http://mail.yahoo.com
        > >

        > > Mikel

        > > removed]

        > protection around
        > http://mail.yahoo.com
        >

        > Mikel

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jesus A. Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 24, 2006
          Mike, I am in South Florida. I might be interested in the Smithy. Do you
          have any pictures.

          Please advice.

          Thanks,

          Jesus

          --- mikel brown <justplanemikel@ <mailto:justplanemikel%40yahoo.ca>
          yahoo.ca> wrote:

          > i'm in the east end of toronto, ontario, canada.
          > (whitby). where are you located?
          >
          > Frank I <ingramf@yahoo. <mailto:ingramf%40yahoo.com> com> wrote: Mike,
          > Where are you located? I have a smithy 3 in 1 if
          > you'd be interested in it for $500. It has tooling
          > with it also.
          >
          > Frank
          >
          > --- mikel brown <justplanemikel@ <mailto:justplanemikel%40yahoo.ca>
          yahoo.ca> wrote:

          > > thanks guys, your input is very much appreciated.
          > > found a store that sells a 3-1 as well, although
          > for
          > > allot more. I'm going to check it out tonight -
          > it's
          > > called a craftex 2-1, 17 x 20" see the link. then
          > > i'll make a decision as to how much i can really
          > > spend. the price of the 7" x 10 is hard to beat,
          > but
          > > i was really hoping for a length of atleast 24".
          > > i've been looking at used for a long time. not
          > much
          > > in my area. please let me know what you think of
          > > B2229. thanks mike

          http://busybeetools
          <http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=0947420922061172919&NTITEM=
          B2229> .ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=0947420922061172919&NTITEM=B2229

          > > www.busybeetools.ca # B2229
          > >

          > > uhrgerat <uhrgerat@yahoo. <mailto:uhrgerat%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:
          > > I'll second (third?) that. I've got a
          > > wonderful
          > > 13" LeBlond that needs a bit of work (!). I'll
          > > be buying a 7x12" lathe to make replacement parts
          > > for it and accessories for a Rivett 918.
          > >
          > > Get the minilathe, look at the minilathe.com site
          > > and do the upgrades/improvements they outline and
          > > have a blast. Then decide how much you really
          > > want a bigger lathe.
          > >
          > > Jim
          > > PS--if you decide to get a bigger lathe but
          > > really can't afford a screw-cutting lathe, a
          > > secondary operations lathe like the 918 can be
          > > converted to a screw-cutting lathe, although it's
          > > definitely not a quick and easy project. No one
          > > wants secondary ops lathes so they go for a
          > > heckuva lot less money. I got mine for $250
          > > including shipping. But, you'll need the
          > > minilathe first to make the parts you need.
          > >
          > > PPS--another advantage to secondary ops lathes.
          > > Because they don't have a saddle riding up and
          > > down the ways constantly, the wear on the ways is
          > > very minimal even on an old machine; mine dates
          > > to the early 1950s and the wear is virtually
          > > undetectable. Just something to file away for
          > > future thought.
          > >
          > > --- Brian Drummond <brian@shapes. <mailto:brian%40shapes.demon.co.uk>
          demon.co.uk>
          > > wrote:

          > > > IMHO. ANY lathe is better than NO lathe and
          > > > if you wait for the perfect bigger lathe, NO
          > > > lathe is what you have right now.
          > > >
          > > > Plus, when you finally find a screaming deal on
          > > > that beautiful classic
          > > > lathe, you'll probably need the 7x10 to make
          > > > parts for it, until it has
          > > > enough components to work on its own...
          > > >
          > > > - Brian

          > > protection around
          > > http://mail. <http://mail.yahoo.com> yahoo.com
          > >

          > > Mikel

          > > removed]

          > protection around
          >

          > Mikel

          > removed]

        • mikel brown
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 24, 2006
            frank, thanks for the offer, sound like an amazing deal, but i don't think it's practical because of the distance, otherwise i would have jumped at it. your welcome to offer it to jesus from south florida. if it turns out that hes not interested, you could always crate it and shipped it by transport to me. but, when all is said and done, i would assume it would add another 500 bucks to the price tag for crating, shipping, duty and taxes. i think jesus confused me with you. i copied his message for you. thanks again

            mike

            Jesus A. Rodriguez" <jrodri25@...>

            Frank I <ingramf@...> wrote:
> [...]

            > > definitely not a quick and easy project. No one
            > > wants secondary ops lathes so they go for a
            > > heckuva lot less money. I got mine for $250
            > > including shipping. But, you'll need the
            > > minilathe first to make the parts you need.
            > >
            > > PPS--another advantage to secondary ops lathes.
            > > Because they don't have a saddle riding up and
            > > down the ways constantly, the wear on the ways is
            > > very minimal even on an old machine; mine dates
            > > to the early 1950s and the wear is virtually
            > > undetectable. Just something to file away for
            > > future thought.
            > >
            > > --- Brian Drummond <brian@...>
            > > wrote:

            > > > IMHO. ANY lathe is better than NO lathe and
            > > > if you wait for the perfect bigger lathe, NO
            > > > lathe is what you have right now.
            > > >
            > > > Plus, when you finally find a screaming deal on
            > > > that beautiful classic
            > > > lathe, you'll probably need the 7x10 to make

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Mikel

          • mikel brown

              http://busybeetools
              <http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=0947420922061172919&NTITEM=
              B2229> .ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID=0947420922061172919&NTITEM=B2229

              > > www.busybeetools.ca # B2229
              > >

              > > uhrgerat <uhrgerat@yahoo. <mailto:uhrgerat%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:
              > > I'll second (third?) that. I've got a
              > > wonderful
              > > 13" LeBlond that needs a bit of work (!). I'll
              > > be buying a 7x12" lathe to make replacement parts
              > > for it and accessories for a Rivett 918.
              > >
              > > Get the minilathe, look at the minilathe.com site
              > > and do the upgrades/improvements they outline and
              > > have a blast. Then decide how much you really
              > > want a bigger lathe.
              > >
              > > Jim
              > > PS--if you decide to get a bigger lathe but
              > > really can't afford a screw-cutting lathe, a
              > > secondary operations lathe like the 918 can be
              > > converted to a screw-cutting lathe, although it's
              > > definitely not a quick and easy project. No one
              > > wants secondary ops lathes so they go for a
              > > heckuva lot less money. I got mine for $250
              > > including shipping. But, you'll need the
              > > minilathe first to make the parts you need.
              > >
              > > PPS--another advantage to secondary ops lathes.
              > > Because they don't have a saddle riding up and
              > > down the ways constantly, the wear on the ways is
              > > very minimal even on an old machine; mine dates
              > > to the early 1950s and the wear is virtually
              > > undetectable. Just something to file away for
              > > future thought.
              > >
              > > --- Brian Drummond <brian@shapes. <mailto:brian%40shapes.demon.co.uk>
              demon.co.uk>
              > > wrote:

              > > > IMHO. ANY lathe is better than NO lathe and
              > > > if you wait for the perfect bigger lathe, NO
              > > > lathe is what you have right now.
              > > >
              > > > Plus, when you finally find a screaming deal on
              > > > that beautiful classic
              > > > lathe, you'll probably need the 7x10 to make
              > > > parts for it, until it has
              > > > enough components to work on its own...
              > > >
              > > > - Brian

              > > protection around
              > > http://mail. <http://mail.yahoo.com> yahoo.com
              > >

              > > Mikel

              > > removed]

              > protection around
              >

              > Mikel

              > removed]

              Mikel

            • Peter sanders
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 24, 2006
                Hi

                On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 23:29:17 +0800, hank <Hank@...> wrote:

                > Spindle run out on my 299 buck speedway 7X12 is .0001.

                FWIW, as a point for the "old" lathes, my 57 year old Australian Herbert
                Lathe has no measureable spindle run out. At least the needle on my .0001
                resolution dial indicator does not move at all - (maybe it's stuck - just
                kidding :D )

                Older bargains can be found. My 7x24 Hertbert gap bed lathe cost me AU$350
                (US$262) and that included tooling, 12" faceplate, follower and steady
                rests abd a 4 way toolpost.

                Regards

                Peter

                Outgoing emails scanned by Trendmicro Internet Security
              • Frank I
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 26, 2006
                  Jesus,

                  Hi. I am Frank. I own the 3 in 1 smithy. I'll give
                  you the same deal that I offered the other gentleman.

                  Frank

                  --- "Jesus A. Rodriguez" <jrodri25@...>

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Frank I