Re: Re: [mlathemods] Re: OT: rants was Scanning Drawings

  • David Lee, der Wiederverwertungmeister
    Message 1 of 87 , Sep 1, 2006
      Well Joe, JEW gives we group members the right to express our opinions here whether they agree with his or not. This is a typical conservative attitude akin to "You can do what you want and I can do what I want" and opposed to the typical liberal attitude which is "I'll do what I want and I want you to do what I want".

      Just because you don't like the discussion, it doesn't seem to me that gives you the right to order us all to keep quiet. The only one here with that authority is Mr. Early.

      Best regards,
      David Lee

      =====================
      From: Joe Taylor <jtlr@...>
      Date: 2006/08/31 Thu PM 12:37:42 CDT
      To: mlathemods@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mlathemods] Re: OT: rants was Scanning Drawings

      Some one who likes machining not a bunch of OT crap!
      You should join the 7x10 group there is enough trash on that list to even
      keep you happy.
      Joe
      Message 87 of 87 , Sep 1, 2006
        From: "David Lee, der Wiederverwertungmeister" <dsleeI@...>

        > a typical conservative attitude akin to "You can do what you want and I
        > can do what I want" and opposed to the typical liberal attitude which is
        > "I'll do what I want and I want you to do what I want".

        Thanks for explaining that Dave.

        I had thought some of us were cracking up: now I realise your usage of
        words just happens to be different. Indeed I'm reminded of the phrase "two
        nations divided by a common language".

        Where I come from, the "liberals" have historically taken the first
        attitude and the "conservatives" taken the second. (Not to be confused with
        the old political parties of those names.)

        But in fairness to your usage, I remember a speech by a Liberal Party
        Member of Parliament (Rev Lord Tim Beaumont) forty years ago, in which he
        warned fellow Liberal Party members that the trouble with earnestly wanting
        "the best" for people could lead to imposing that "best" apon them whether
        they wanted it or not. Like you and James, he thought that a bad principle.

        Some of us are being a bit tough on Joe: I think he was reacting to the
        philosophical ramblings (like this one) rather than the technical stuff
        under the same Subject Line. Maybe we should split the Subject to make it
        easier for folk to filter their inboxes?

        David 1/2d
        England