Headstock bearing replacement

  • Willem van Biljon
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hi,
      I am a new owner of a C3 Mini Lathe, and new to the group.
      I was wondering if anyone has done the headstock bearing replacement
      documented on the Arc Euro Trade website (www.arceurotrade.co.uk), and
      if so how effective it has been. I am particularly interested in
      reduced chatter.
      Thanks
      Willem
    • Richard Garnish
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 3, 2006
        I did it, mostly according to Arc's instructions, and it has made quite
        a difference to my little lathe. Chatter is almost never a problem now,
        even when making deep parting cuts, and surface quality when facing
        (something I had trouble with before) is much better.

        But there are other things to try first, most importantly checking the
        adjustment of the gibs and the two strips holding the saddle down to the
        bed (although the screws for these are not easy to access!)

        Richard

        On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 14:17, Willem van Biljon wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I am a new owner of a C3 Mini Lathe, and new to the group.
        > I was wondering if anyone has done the headstock bearing replacement
        > documented on the Arc Euro Trade website (www.arceurotrade.co.uk), and
        > if so how effective it has been. I am particularly interested in
        > reduced chatter.
        > Thanks
        > Willem
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • corey renner
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 3, 2006
          I hadn't seen that before, thanks for posting it. I just ordered the
          bearings from littlemachineshop.com for $16.95ea P/N 2822. McMaster also
          has them $18.29 each P/N: 6677K59

          cheers,

          On 03 Aug 2006 17:36:59 +0100, Richard Garnish <rdg@...> wrote:

          > I did it, mostly according to Arc's instructions, and it has made quite
          > a difference to my little lathe. Chatter is almost never a problem now,
          > even when making deep parting cuts, and surface quality when facing
          > (something I had trouble with before) is much better.
          >
          > But there are other things to try first, most importantly checking the
          > adjustment of the gibs and the two strips holding the saddle down to the
          > bed (although the screws for these are not easy to access!)
          >
          > Richard
          >
          > On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 14:17, Willem van Biljon wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > I am a new owner of a C3 Mini Lathe, and new to the group.

        • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 3, 2006
            You need a different length spacer, you can't make a
            new one if you have removed the headstock bearings on
            your one and only lathe. Does anyone know the length
            of the new spacer required?

            --- corey renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

            > I hadn't seen that before, thanks for posting it. I
            > just ordered the
            > bearings from littlemachineshop.com for $16.95ea P/N
            > 2822. McMaster also
            > has them $18.29 each P/N: 6677K59
            >
            > cheers,
            >
            > On 03 Aug 2006 17:36:59 +0100, Richard Garnish
            > <rdg@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I did it, mostly according to Arc's instructions,
            > and it has made quite
            > > a difference to my little lathe. Chatter is
            > almost never a problem now,
            > > even when making deep parting cuts, and surface
            > quality when facing
            > > (something I had trouble with before) is much
            > better.
            > >
            > > But there are other things to try first, most
            > importantly checking the
            > > adjustment of the gibs and the two strips holding
            > the saddle down to the
            > > bed (although the screws for these are not easy to
            > access!)
            > >
            > > Richard
            > >
            > > On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 14:17, Willem van Biljon
            > wrote:
            > > > Hi,
            > > > I am a new owner of a C3 Mini Lathe, and new to
            > the group.

            > removed]

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Richard Garnish
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 3, 2006
              Not without dismantling my lathe and measuring again! You want another
              2.5mm inside the headstock - Arc suggest a single spacer but I made two
              1.25mm spacers to go either side of the spindle tacho disc. If I was
              doing it again I'd have made them 1.3mm each - the Chinese bearings "sag"
              inwards, the taper bearings don't, so that actual difference is slightly
              more than the theoretical 2.5mm. Exact length isn't very critical though
              - it just makes sure that the various bits and pieces on the spindle
              inside the headstock can't slide around more than they ought.

              At the back the spacer between the rear bearing and the 45T gear needs
              shortening, but I'd recommend starting with a spacer of the same length as
              the current one; after changing the bearings reassemble with the old
              spacer and judge how far out of alignment the 45T gears are, and shorten
              the new one by this amount. The lathe will run fine with the two gears
              misaligned, but I wouldn't recommend any threadcutting until the alignment
              is fixed!

              Richard

              On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

              > You need a different length spacer, you can't make a
              > new one if you have removed the headstock bearings on
              > your one and only lathe. Does anyone know the length
              > of the new spacer required?
              >

              > --- corey renner <vandal968@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I hadn't seen that before, thanks for posting it. I
              > > just ordered the
              > > bearings from littlemachineshop.com for $16.95ea P/N
              > > 2822. McMaster also
              > > has them $18.29 each P/N: 6677K59
              > >
              > > cheers,
              > >
              > > On 03 Aug 2006 17:36:59 +0100, Richard Garnish
              > > <rdg@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I did it, mostly according to Arc's instructions,
              > > and it has made quite
              > > > a difference to my little lathe. Chatter is
              > > almost never a problem now,
              > > > even when making deep parting cuts, and surface
              > > quality when facing
              > > > (something I had trouble with before) is much
              > > better.
              > > >
              > > > But there are other things to try first, most
              > > importantly checking the
              > > > adjustment of the gibs and the two strips holding
              > > the saddle down to the
              > > > bed (although the screws for these are not easy to
              > > access!)
              > > >
              > > > Richard

              > > the group.

              > > removed]

            • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                Many thanks for the information, gives you more
                confidence if you know where it will bite you. My
                lathe does not have a tacho disk, so will need to
                compensate for that, or just make a set of spacer
                shims of various thickness and select on re-fitting.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Richard Garnish
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                  If you don't have a tacho disc to worry about, then just make a single
                  spacer to go inside, about 2.5mm thick, for an easy fit on a 30mm shaft,
                  with a notch cut to clear the 5mm key (the photo on Arc Euro Trade's
                  site should illustrate this fairly well.)

                  In case it all goes horribly wrong, and you need a part you can't make
                  without a lathe, drop me a line and I'll make one and pop it in the post
                  ;)

                  Richard

                • Jim RabidWolf
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                    I don't know why folks still use interuppters on tachs when you an stick a small disc (flex) magnet the size of a bb on the shaft and use a hall effect device....

                    Rabid
                    Uncle Rabid ( http://www.unclerabid.com )
                    We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
                    For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
                    "Just Crazy Enough To Get the Job Done"

                  • j.w.early@att.net
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                      Because most of them have never heard of the let alone worked on the. Just changed one out on the Hardinge this week that is used for the forward travel limit stop on the "Z" axis. It shorted out internally and shut the whole machine down. Took several hours to find and several more to fix. They are neat when working right, but if not wired into the system intelligently they can be a real headache to find and fix when they break.

                      From: "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>

                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                        Mine was fitted as supplied from Sieg; a punched out bit of plastic and
                        a photointerrupter is obviously cheaper in China - and probably harder
                        to assemble wrongly.

                        Richard

                      • Jim RabidWolf
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                          The new units are not only more sensitive, they're less prone to anomolies and have up to 100 times higher ouput - I saw an add the other day and they're making unit that have outputs in the hundreds of milliamps rather that a few micro or milliamps.

                          They've come a long way and now they're cheaper than used dirt.

                          Rabid

                          From: "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>

                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                            As for the cone bearing headstock - I bought the bearings and have not yet put them in - something I will do just as soon as I find or fabricate a satifactory seal for them. I don't like the flippy-flappy piece of inner-tube type being used.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                              The only seal I have is the plastic ring which is held in place around
                              the spindle by three cap screws, which forms a very simple labyrinth
                              seal; and the bearings inside look exactly the same now as when I fitted
                              them (I opened them up just a day or two ago to check in on them) - no
                              signs of dirt or swarf in there, and the grease is still pretty much all
                              where it belongs.

                              Richard

                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                                Not the ones I have had to replace on our machines. They have all been in the $60 to $90 range and the smaller ones are the highest price.

                                From: "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>
                                > The new units are not only more sensitive, they're less prone to anomolies and
                                > have up to 100 times higher ouput - I saw an add the other day and they're
                                > making unit that have outputs in the hundreds of milliamps rather that a few
                                > micro or milliamps.
                                >
                                > They've come a long way and now they're cheaper than used dirt.
                                >
                                > Rabid

                              • Jim RabidWolf
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                                  Get me a list of the device numbers - bet I can find you better pricing on the same units. you're not buying thru a mech supply or from the lathe manf. are you?

                                  Rabid

                                  From: "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>

                                • j.w.early@att.net
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                                    Hopefully no others will go on the Hardinge and we are reworking the grinders to eliminate the hall effect units on them that trigger the taper bellows. The Citizen and Fadal do not use them, so the only problem child I have left is a weird acting bandit control on the Bridgeport that has everybody confused.

                                    From: "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>
                                    > Get me a list of the device numbers - bet I can find you better pricing on the
                                    > same units. you're not buying thru a mech supply or from the lathe manf. are
                                    > you?
                                    >
                                    > Rabid

                                  • Jim RabidWolf
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                                      Understandable....
                                      These are Hall's and not reed relays, yes?

                                      Rabid

                                      From: "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>
                                      > Get me a list of the device numbers - bet I can find you better pricing on the
                                      > same units. you're not buying thru a mech supply or from the lathe manf. are
                                      > you?
                                      >
                                      > Rabid

                                    • Richard Kleinhenz
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                                        On 8/4/2006 at 3:12 PM Jim RabidWolf wrote:

                                        >The new units are not only more sensitive, they're less prone to
                                        >anomolies and have up to 100 times higher ouput - I saw an add the other
                                        >day and they're making unit that have outputs in the hundreds of milliamps
                                        >rather that a few micro or milliamps.
                                        >
                                        >They've come a long way and now they're cheaper than used dirt.

                                        Can you be a little more specific? First, to be clear - you are talking about a speed readout, right? Can you refer me somewhere for details? I assume you need a magnet, a sensor, and a circuitboard. There are probably plans somewhere... are there? I have a lathe where a speed readout would not be bad - although most of the time I go by feel. But for someone with my huge experience level (NOT)a readout would probably be a good thing...

                                        --
                                        Regards,
                                        Rich
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                                          Yes they are straight hall effect sensors. The Hardinge ones are activated by a magnet attached to the lathe carriage. The grinders use one to trigger the loading cycle and tapering cycle when the part passes under it.

                                          From: "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>
                                          > Understandable....
                                          > These are Hall's and not reed relays, yes?
                                          >
                                          > Rabid

                                        • imbrewster2
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                                            Rabid
                                            Can you point me in the direction of more information on these NEW
                                            Hall effect divices? I've been looking around for something to use
                                            as a trigger for a Fuel Injector system I've been putting together
                                            for my motorcycle.

                                            Thanks
                                            Brewster

                                            --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > The new units are not only more sensitive, they're less prone to
                                            anomolies and have up to 100 times higher ouput - I saw an add the
                                            other day and they're making unit that have outputs in the hundreds
                                            of milliamps rather that a few micro or milliamps.

                                            > They've come a long way and now they're cheaper than used dirt.
                                            >
                                            > Rabid

                                          • Trost Carl

                                              From: "Jim RabidWolf" <unclerabid@...>
                                              > I don't know why folks still use interuppters on tachs when you an stick a small
                                              > disc (flex) magnet the size of a bb on the shaft and use a hall effect
                                              > device....
                                              >
                                              > Rabid
                                              > Uncle Rabid ( http://www.unclerabid.com )
                                              > We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
                                              > For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
                                              > "Just Crazy Enough To Get the Job Done"

                                            • kendall
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                                                --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "imbrewster2" <ibrew@...> wrote:

                                                > Rabid
                                                > Can you point me in the direction of more information on these NEW
                                                > Hall effect divices? I've been looking around for something to use
                                                > as a trigger for a Fuel Injector system I've been putting together
                                                > for my motorcycle.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks
                                                > Brewster

                                                May be off topic, but care to expand on your FI system? I've been
                                                playing with a fuel injection design for a while off and on, more off
                                                then on, but always curious about other ideas.
                                                my design is for a mechanicaly controlled electrical system, simple
                                                but more to get my feet wet then anything at present.

                                                one of the reasons I ended up getting the new lathe was to try out a
                                                couple ideas on mechanical control.

                                                Ken.
                                              • imbrewster2
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 4, 2006
                                                  The throttle body assembly was my first real project on the lathe,
                                                  so I guess that the subject is partially on topic. Like yourself,
                                                  the project hasn't been a priority. I have no intentions of making
                                                  a replacement for the carb, just wanted to see if I could make
                                                  something that would run the engine at low speed.
                                                  The throttle body was designed to the same mounting dimensions as
                                                  the carb it will replace. The circuit will contain an absolute
                                                  pressure sensor between the throttle plate and intake to measure
                                                  ambient pressure before starting (altitude compensation) and then
                                                  manifold pressure. The electronics contains a PIC to do the
                                                  monitoring and pulse width adjustments for the injector. The
                                                  ignition trigger pulse is every revolution of the crank shaft so I
                                                  want something to trigger every other rotation when the intake
                                                  valves are about to open. It's a single cylinder engine.
                                                  I used a milling attachment on the lathe for some of the work.
                                                  That inspired me to buy a mini-mill.

                                                  Brewster

                                                  --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "kendall" <merc2dogs@...> wrote:

                                                  > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "imbrewster2" <ibrew@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Rabid
                                                  > > Can you point me in the direction of more information on these
                                                  NEW
                                                  > > Hall effect divices? I've been looking around for something to
                                                  use
                                                  > > as a trigger for a Fuel Injector system I've been putting
                                                  together
                                                  > > for my motorcycle.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thanks
                                                  > > Brewster
                                                  >
                                                  > May be off topic, but care to expand on your FI system? I've been
                                                  > playing with a fuel injection design for a while off and on, more
                                                  off
                                                  > then on, but always curious about other ideas.
                                                  > my design is for a mechanicaly controlled electrical system,
                                                  simple
                                                  > but more to get my feet wet then anything at present.
                                                  >
                                                  > one of the reasons I ended up getting the new lathe was to try out
                                                  > couple ideas on mechanical control.
                                                  >
                                                  > Ken.

                                                • Marty N
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 5, 2006
                                                    Brewster:

                                                    Trigger from the camshaft, it runs at half speed or use the distributor drive, same effect. Either are interesting machining projects.

                                                    Curious, new or old iron?

                                                    Marty

                                                    The throttle body assembly was my first real project on the lathe,
                                                    so I guess that the subject is partially on topic. Like yourself,
                                                    the project hasn't been a priority. I have no intentions of making
                                                    a replacement for the carb, just wanted to see if I could make
                                                    something that would run the engine at low speed.
                                                    The throttle body was designed to the same mounting dimensions as
                                                    the carb it will replace. The circuit will contain an absolute
                                                    pressure sensor between the throttle plate and intake to measure
                                                    ambient pressure before starting (altitude compensation) and then
                                                    manifold pressure. The electronics contains a PIC to do the
                                                    monitoring and pulse width adjustments for the injector. The
                                                    ignition trigger pulse is every revolution of the crank shaft so I
                                                    want something to trigger every other rotation when the intake
                                                    valves are about to open. It's a single cylinder engine.
                                                    I used a milling attachment on the lathe for some of the work.
                                                    That inspired me to buy a mini-mill.

                                                    Brewster

                                                    --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "kendall" <merc2dogs@...> wrote:

                                                    > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "imbrewster2" <ibrew@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Rabid
                                                    > > Can you point me in the direction of more information on these
                                                    NEW
                                                    > > Hall effect divices? I've been looking around for something to
                                                    use
                                                    > > as a trigger for a Fuel Injector system I've been putting
                                                    together
                                                    > > for my motorcycle.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Thanks
                                                    > > Brewster
                                                    >
                                                    > May be off topic, but care to expand on your FI system? I've been
                                                    > playing with a fuel injection design for a while off and on, more
                                                    off
                                                    > then on, but always curious about other ideas.
                                                    > my design is for a mechanicaly controlled electrical system,
                                                    simple
                                                    > but more to get my feet wet then anything at present.
                                                    >
                                                    > one of the reasons I ended up getting the new lathe was to try out
                                                    > couple ideas on mechanical control.
                                                    >
                                                    > Ken.

                                                  • imbrewster2
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Aug 5, 2006
                                                      I've been looking at the cam shaft for a trigger location. I've
                                                      been concerned about the shaft getting out of balance by attaching a
                                                      magnet to it. That is why this "NEW" Hall effect device caught my
                                                      attention. If I can keep the magnet small, I can mount the magnet
                                                      on the cam chain sprocket. That would give me some flexability in
                                                      the trigger timing.
                                                      The bike is a 2000 Kawasaki KLX 300 dirt bike.

                                                      Brewster

                                                      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Marty N" <martyn@...> wrote:

                                                      > Brewster:
                                                      >
                                                      > Trigger from the camshaft, it runs at half speed or use the
                                                      distributor drive, same effect. Either are interesting machining
                                                      projects.

                                                      > Curious, new or old iron?
                                                      >
                                                      > Marty

                                                    • Eric Norman
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Aug 5, 2006
                                                        On Aug 4, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Jim RabidWolf wrote:

                                                        > I don't know why folks still use interuppters on tachs when you an
                                                        > stick a small disc (flex) magnet the size of a bb on the shaft and use
                                                        > a hall effect device....

                                                        I like my way even better. I just paint stripes on the
                                                        flange and use a reflective photosensor to count how
                                                        fast they fly by.

                                                        Sorry I can't provide more details; this is just a personal
                                                        project. But I'll list the essential components:

                                                        Reflective photosensor: Part OR503-ND from Digikey or similar.
                                                        Microcontroller: pick the one you like; I used an MC68HC908QY4.
                                                        LCD module: numerous possibilities from Digikey, Mouser, etc.
                                                        Knowledge: programming and basic digital electronics.

                                                        Eric Norman
                                                      • kendall
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 5, 2006
                                                          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "imbrewster2" <ibrew@...> wrote:

                                                          > The throttle body assembly was my first real project on the lathe,
                                                          > so I guess that the subject is partially on topic. Like yourself,
                                                          > the project hasn't been a priority. I have no intentions of making
                                                          > a replacement for the carb, just wanted to see if I could make
                                                          > something that would run the engine at low speed.
                                                          > The throttle body was designed to the same mounting dimensions as
                                                          > the carb it will replace. The circuit will contain an absolute
                                                          > pressure sensor between the throttle plate and intake to measure
                                                          > ambient pressure before starting (altitude compensation) and then
                                                          > manifold pressure. The electronics contains a PIC to do the
                                                          > monitoring and pulse width adjustments for the injector. The
                                                          > ignition trigger pulse is every revolution of the crank shaft so I
                                                          > want something to trigger every other rotation when the intake
                                                          > valves are about to open. It's a single cylinder engine.
                                                          > I used a milling attachment on the lathe for some of the work.
                                                          > That inspired me to buy a mini-mill.
                                                          >
                                                          > Brewster

                                                          I've been playing with an almost completely mechanical system, all
                                                          controls mechanically activated, but using standard off the shelf
                                                          injectors. Originally intended to incorporate everything into an add
                                                          on unit mounted between distributor and cap on my old bronco2, but
                                                          decided to go with my old honda as the project motor, no previous
                                                          injection system to work around.

                                                          built the original layout for the B2 with my old lathe, then moved
                                                          and had to sell off the lathes, (both of them big monarchs, can't just
                                                          throw them in storage easily!)

                                                          Ken.
                                                        • Marty N
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Aug 5, 2006
                                                            Cams are rarely balanced. Lobe itself is a large imbalance. No one really tries as spring pressure makes it near impossible. Of course a five pounder may be a bit sticky but within reason should have next to no effect. Newer Iron.

                                                            Marty