worn out bed

  • seikosman
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2006
      I'd like to solicit some advice from some of the old hands: the bed on
      my 9x20 lathe is pretty worn out; I set an indicator on the carriage so
      it bore against the inner v-way and got .013" difference from one end
      of the bed to the other; I have access to a planer, but I've only
      planed flat surfaces on it; I've made v-blocks and dovetails on a
      shaper; would you say I would do more harm than good by trying to skim
      a few thou off my v-ways? I don't think the lathe is worth the kind of
      money it would take to hire it done. thank you for any inputs.

      Rick A.
    • Thomas Janstrom
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 11, 2006
        You could always hand scrape it, it is after only a few thou�.

        I'd like to solicit some advice from some of the old hands: the bed on
        my 9x20 lathe is pretty worn out; I set an indicator on the carriage so
        it bore against the inner v-way and got .013" difference from one end
        of the bed to the other; I have access to a planer, but I've only
        planed flat surfaces on it; I've made v-blocks and dovetails on a
        shaper; would you say I would do more harm than good by trying to skim
        a few thou off my v-ways? I don't think the lathe is worth the kind of
        money it would take to hire it done. thank you for any inputs.

        Rick A.

        HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mini+lathe&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+a
        nd+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&c=3&s=61&.sig=Mi7m15U-UJ0LJ0CEQHJ1ZA"Mini
        lathe

        HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Mini+lath
        e&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&c=3&s=61&.sig=iLhZdq2YV8D6T1e
        9wr0kmg"Hobby and craft supply

        HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+
        and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&c=3&s=61&.sig=q87v98sPvxz4hXgg2FpAQw"Cra
        ft hobby

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mlathemods"mlathemods" on the web.

        HYPERLINK
        "mailto:mlathemods-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"mlath

        _____

        10/03/2006

      • seikosman
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 11, 2006
          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Janstrom" <t_janstrom@...>
          wrote:
          >The ridge worn in the front v-way is about .015 deep near the
          spindle, which would be quite a little hand work, besides which, the
          impression I get from what I've read about hand scraping is that it's
          an art that I would need a looong time to get even a little bit good
          at; I had gotten the impression that they hand scrape after planing
          to get the little imperfections and put the oil pockets in.

          Rick A.

        • ChrlyThB@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
            I would suggest a Surface Grinder.

            Charlie B
            Ringoes, NJ

          • seikosman
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, ChrlyThB@... wrote:
              >That's a thought; undoubtedly more accurate than a planer and I'm not
              likely to take off too much at a time; I knew somebody would have a
              better idea than I; thank you, charlie

              Rick A.

              > I would suggest a Surface Grinder.
              >
              > Charlie B
              > Ringoes, NJ

            • Norman Atkinson
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
                For what it is worth, I would be either visiting an optician or a buying new measuring gear!
                As far as I recall the 9x20 lathe is one with an induction hardened bed. (I had a UK 918 which suggests the same machine, for years) This hardened bed is now worn down 13 thous so to do this, the wear on the rest of the lathe must be considerably more as the rest of the lathe is "normal" cast iron and steel. Again, the spindle bearings must now be worn out.

                Perhaps, before we all go off at further tangents, a series of measurements based on Schlesinger's limits for the small lathe would assist in giving a considered reply from those who have actually restored lathes.

                Perhaps this would be forthcoming?

                Norman
                >That's a thought; undoubtedly more accurate than a planer and I'm not
                likely to take off too much at a time; I knew somebody would have a
                better idea than I; thank you, charlie

                Rick A.

                > I would suggest a Surface Grinder.
                >
                > Charlie B
                > Ringoes, NJ

              • johann_ohnesorg
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
                  Hy there,
                  Scraping off 0.013" on the whole length of the bed will drive you
                  nuts, try the planer, measure twice and cut once.

                  Be careful with the holddowns, I once watched a guy shaping a small
                  lathe bed. He flipped it over on a pair of 1-2-3 blocks, cut the
                  stands to equal height with the shaper and then, he flipped it back
                  over again.
                  This makes setup easier. He used holddowns in the middle of the bed on
                  the cross braces (4 or 5 equally spread over the whole length) and
                  small jacks underneath to push the bed up again.
                  If this does not work (don´t hesitate, you got a few more cuts to get
                  it right...), junk the bed and buy a new one. Cut the 90° guide in the
                  same setup. Try to match the saddle by equal cuts to the left and
                  right of the bed. Don´t forget you have to shorten the cut by a factor
                  of 0,707 if you cut in a 45°angle. To see what you do, make a sketch
                  which is scale 10:1 and the try to draw and measure toolfeeds and
                  angles. Please do this in advance.

                  Cheers,
                  Johann
                • seikosman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                    --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "johann_ohnesorg" <bigdukeone@...>
                    wrote:
                    >those are some good points, Johann; in searching other forums I've
                    learned that grinding is the usual method, but the surface grinder to
                    which I have access may not have a long enough bed; may have to try
                    planing it; in reply to Norman, I haven't seen any reference to
                    South Bend having hardended beds on their lathes in the 1930's and
                    the various dents and dings on the ways from 70 years of use would
                    certainly refute your contention

                    Rick A.

                    > Hy there,
                    > Scraping off 0.013" on the whole length of the bed will drive you
                    > nuts, try the planer, measure twice and cut once.
                    >
                    > Be careful with the holddowns, I once watched a guy shaping a small
                    > lathe bed. He flipped it over on a pair of 1-2-3 blocks, cut the
                    > stands to equal height with the shaper and then, he flipped it back
                    > over again.
                    > This makes setup easier. He used holddowns in the middle of the bed
                    on
                    > the cross braces (4 or 5 equally spread over the whole length) and
                    > small jacks underneath to push the bed up again.
                    > If this does not work (don´t hesitate, you got a few more cuts to
                    get
                    > it right...), junk the bed and buy a new one. Cut the 90° guide in
                    the
                    > same setup. Try to match the saddle by equal cuts to the left and
                    > right of the bed. Don´t forget you have to shorten the cut by a
                    factor
                    > of 0,707 if you cut in a 45°angle. To see what you do, make a sketch
                    > which is scale 10:1 and the try to draw and measure toolfeeds and
                    > angles. Please do this in advance.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Johann

                  • Norman Atkinson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                      In reply, I would have to mention that I have no experience whatsoever of South Bend Lathes. I referred to 9x20 lathes being ones with hardened beds- and I quite correct in making a direct relationship there.Going back to 9x20 lathes and I assume the worn lathe, the intention of a hardened bed is to reduce wear.
                      However, wear on unhardened other parts would be greater than that found on the hardened parts.
                      Unless, my own wear like that of the South Bends of over 70 years has missed something vital????

                      Let us return to where the information is- and if my memory holds out a little while longer- to South Bends. The information is in Edward Connelly in Machine Tool Reconditioning- and it is still the definitive book.The definitive book on alignment is still Schlesinger's Limits. On both, there must be slight improvements and additions over the years- but we go back to them!
                      Schlesinger gives details of tests which are static, bench tests.
                      There is no question of what does a lathe show when it is running. Our tyro must go back to fundamentals and check his lathe- and determine to his own satisfaction what he demands from what is a cheapo lathe. If he is unsatisfied with what he has acquired, then he must go through each part and make the corrections according to Connelly.

                      I may sound pedantic and all manner of things, but that is what Classical machine tool construction and repair demanded and demands!

                      Let us turn to- what I expect! Not what is there- but wetting my finger and guessing. To all intents and purposes, I would expect the lathe NOT to be worn. It ain't 70 years old- or even 7. I would be surprised if it was pre-owned and it will have been made on precision equipment- far more accurate than in many machine shops of today, all that will be out of spec is alignment and gibs.
                      It suggests that there was something suspect with spindle bearings- which improved after parting off operations. This frankly is utter tosh, BS or whatever modern expression one finds.

                      Maybe, I should add that I have been there before. My two penn'orth is already in Model Engineers Workshop on a Myford ML7 and earlier on a Pools Major- probably a 70 year old one.
                      Today, there is a ML7 which has just had its bed Blancharded and a Super 7 B which is also receiving some TLC.

                      The rebuilding of both lathes is following the foregoing comments- but I am saving a lot of time in the use of a tool and cutter grinder to remove the slight wear since perhaps 1946.

                      I apologise for the lengthy reply but hot air and theory don't mend an inaccurate lathe- and I must now get on with my pair!

                      My kind regards

                      Norman
                      >those are some good points, Johann; in searching other forums I've
                      learned that grinding is the usual method, but the surface grinder to
                      which I have access may not have a long enough bed; may have to try
                      planing it; in reply to Norman, I haven't seen any reference to
                      South Bend having hardended beds on their lathes in the 1930's and
                      the various dents and dings on the ways from 70 years of use would
                      certainly refute your contention

                      Rick A.

                      > Hy there,
                      > Scraping off 0.013" on the whole length of the bed will drive you
                      > nuts, try the planer, measure twice and cut once.
                      >
                      > Be careful with the holddowns, I once watched a guy shaping a small
                      > lathe bed. He flipped it over on a pair of 1-2-3 blocks, cut the
                      > stands to equal height with the shaper and then, he flipped it back
                      > over again.
                      > This makes setup easier. He used holddowns in the middle of the bed
                      on
                      > the cross braces (4 or 5 equally spread over the whole length) and
                      > small jacks underneath to push the bed up again.
                      > If this does not work (don´t hesitate, you got a few more cuts to
                      get
                      > it right...), junk the bed and buy a new one. Cut the 90° guide in
                      the
                      > same setup. Try to match the saddle by equal cuts to the left and
                      > right of the bed. Don´t forget you have to shorten the cut by a
                      factor
                      > of 0,707 if you cut in a 45°angle. To see what you do, make a sketch
                      > which is scale 10:1 and the try to draw and measure toolfeeds and
                      > angles. Please do this in advance.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Johann

                    • Norman Atkinson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
                        As a sort of Addendum, I maybe linking two threads.
                        One is on Google. uk.rec.models.eng.
                        Really, apart from slight variations- my earlier comments still stand. Connelly is where the iinformation is and Schlesinger is where the details of responsible tests are scheduled.
                        Again, my articles in these august publications stand for all time.

                        With a touch of humour, so do my pair of Myfords- unless I also get my act put together!

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 15, 2006
                          I find it hard to believe that a bed hardened or not could wear so much on a relatively new lathe unless it has been very seriously abused. Was it accurately ground in the first place.
                          IMO a hardened bed should be beneficial, it is better to transfer wear to something that can be more easily managed and dealt with such as the saddle or tailstock.

                          Gerry
                          Leeds, UK

                          >those are some good points, Johann; in searching other forums I've
                          learned that grinding is the usual method, but the surface grinder to
                          which I have access may not have a long enough bed; may have to try
                          planing it; in reply to Norman, I haven't seen any reference to
                          South Bend having hardended beds on their lathes in the 1930's and
                          the various dents and dings on the ways from 70 years of use would
                          certainly refute your contention

                          Rick A.

                          > Hy there,
                          > Scraping off 0.013" on the whole length of the bed will drive you
                          > nuts, try the planer, measure twice and cut once.
                          >
                          > Be careful with the holddowns, I once watched a guy shaping a small
                          > lathe bed. He flipped it over on a pair of 1-2-3 blocks, cut the
                          > stands to equal height with the shaper and then, he flipped it back
                          > over again.
                          > This makes setup easier. He used holddowns in the middle of the bed
                          on
                          > the cross braces (4 or 5 equally spread over the whole length) and
                          > small jacks underneath to push the bed up again.
                          > If this does not work (don´t hesitate, you got a few more cuts to
                          get
                          > it right...), junk the bed and buy a new one. Cut the 90° guide in
                          the
                          > same setup. Try to match the saddle by equal cuts to the left and
                          > right of the bed. Don´t forget you have to shorten the cut by a
                          factor
                          > of 0,707 if you cut in a 45°angle. To see what you do, make a sketch
                          > which is scale 10:1 and the try to draw and measure toolfeeds and
                          > angles. Please do this in advance.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Johann

                          Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
                          Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software
                        • Norman Atkinson
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 15, 2006
                            Gerry,
                            In a word- Agreed!
                            Now this guy has to go back to the drawing board- or measuring board- and find out what the Hell is wrong with his lathe- or him.
                            My 918 crap though it was compared to more expensive lathes and was in need of a gentle bit of loving care- not howling around with a bloody big milling machine to murder the thing.

                            Scrapers, blue, surface plates etc, ahoy! Back to basics, eh?

                            Norm