Re: [mlathemods] Re: carriage lock

  • Ellis Cory
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
      ......I like mine better......

      And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but as a great believer in KISS there are some differences.
      * I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
      * At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the saddle, as the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
      * The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of making and I haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
      * The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw on the tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I can access it very easily.
      * All this makes it very easy to make and use.
      HTH
      Ellis

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
        mine is even easier , I pair of c clamp vise grips ( with pads) .
        now thats redneck.

        Ellis Cory <ellis103@...> wrote:
        ......I like mine better......

        And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but as a great believer in KISS there are some differences.
        * I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
        * At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the saddle, as the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
        * The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of making and I haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
        * The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw on the tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I can access it very easily.
        * All this makes it very easy to make and use.
        HTH
        Ellis

        Mini lathe Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

        ---------------------------------

      • callerdoit
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Ellis Cory" <ellis103@t...> wrote:

          > ......I like mine better......
          >
          > And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but
          as a great believer in KISS there are some differences.
          > * I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
          > * At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the
          saddle, as the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
          > * The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of
          making and I haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
          > * The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw
          on the tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I
          can access it very easily.
          > * All this makes it very easy to make and use.
          > HTH
          > Ellis

          Can you send me a picture.... Dave
        • Troy Burns
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
            At 02:21 PM 1/10/2006, you wrote:
            >......I like mine better......
            >
            >And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but as a
            >great believer in KISS there are some differences.
            >* I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
            >* At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the saddle, as
            >the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
            >* The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of making and I
            >haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
            >* The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw on the
            >tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I can access it
            >very easily.
            >* All this makes it very easy to make and use.
            >HTH
            > Ellis

            Mine is similar, but sticks out the rear because the old Homiers didn't
            have a U shaped rear to the carriage.

            On this, as well as the tailstock, I like to use a springy piece of thin
            steel to bear on the bottom of the ways. The thin steel will bend so that
            a bolt can put more pressure under the ways, and in the case of a camlock
            tailstock, it will allow the cam to go over center and still lock things
            tightly in place.

            tb
          • Troy Burns
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
              There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole in the carriage so
              that a brass bolt can screw down against the back way. Actually, I think
              Varmint Al used that method, but used a steel bolt with an empty cartridge
              case on the end that fits against the top of the way.

              tb

              At 02:31 PM 1/10/2006, you wrote:
              >mine is even easier , I pair of c clamp vise grips ( with pads) .
              > now thats redneck.
              >
              >Ellis Cory <ellis103@...> wrote:
              > ......I like mine better......
              >
              >And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but as a
              >great believer in KISS there are some differences.
              >* I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
              >* At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the saddle, as
              >the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
              >* The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of making and I
              >haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
              >* The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw on the
              >tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I can access it
              >very easily.
              >* All this makes it very easy to make and use.
              >HTH
              > Ellis
            • Ellis Cory
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                .........There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole in the carriage so that a brass bolt can screw down against the back way......

                I saw this when I first wanted to mount a carriage lock. I didn't like it because it lifts the saddle and could introduce slop. This would lead to chatter etc. So I looked at it from a structural point and decided that clamping the saddle to the bed would be best. V. Fords idea is good, but only on one side and on the leading edge, which could reduce carriage travel, especially when using a faceplate or collets. My first design gave a purchacse of 2 to 1 ! but I decided this wasn't necessary, so I ended up with the one I described. Sorry I am no good at posting photos, haven't solved that yet.
                HTH
                Ellis

              • Ellis Cory
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                  ......Can you send me a picture.... Dave.....

                  I wish I could, but I haven't solved that problem yet! Hope fully, with my description and the original photo, you should be able to get the idea.
                  HTH
                  Ellis

                • Ian
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                    I made this simple carriage stop last weekend as my first ever project on a
                    newly acquired C1 mini lathe.

                    Given the recent postings I thought others might be interested.

                    It works well.

                    Ian.

                    (Not sure how to post yet!)

                    _________________________

                    Ian Calhaem

                    6 Hunterville Court

                    Ellerslie

                    Auckland

                    ph 64 9 579-0512

                    fax 64 9 579-0510

                    Mob 021 936-785

                    _____

                    Ellis Cory <ellis103@...> wrote:
[...]

                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mini+lathe&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+and+c
                    raft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=ODVBtgNE3bFOb
                    PcFi90__Q> lathe

                    Hobby
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Mini+lathe&w2
                    =Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=9
                    6dhczNkLwbd_-RUV12_Pw> and craft supply

                    Craft
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+and+
                    craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=jBnWLXa70lcN
                    uQNNYr314g> hobby

                    Hobbies
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobbies+and+crafts&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hob
                    by+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=aLHJt
                    LKiOfK8ELoH_Wmv1Q> and crafts

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "mlathemods
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mlathemods> " on the web.

                    _____

                  • Ellis Cory
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                      ....I made this simple carriage stop last weekend as my first ever project on a
                      newly acquired C1 mini lathe......

                      If you don't have a photo, could you describe it please .
                      Many thanks.
                      Ellis

                    • bdmail
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                        Hello Ian,

                        Do you have pictures and don't know how to post them, or can't take digital
                        pictures of them?

                        If you have pics to post, all you have to do is go to the mlathemods
                        homepage

                        and on the left of the page, you click "Photos"

                        Above the folders there is a button for "Add Photo"

                        And off you go!

                        Bernie

                        > I made this simple carriage stop last weekend as my first ever project on a
                        > newly acquired C1 mini lathe.
                        >
                        > Given the recent postings I thought others might be interested.
                        >
                        > It works well.
                        >

                        > Ian.
                        >
                        > (Not sure how to post yet!)
                        >
                        > _________________________
                        >
                        > Ian Calhaem
                        >
                        > 6 Hunterville Court
                        >
                        > Ellerslie
                        >
                        > Auckland
                        >

                        > ph 64 9 579-0512
                        >
                        > fax 64 9 579-0510
                        >
                        > Mob 021 936-785
                        >
                        > _____

                      • Eric Norman
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                          On Jan 10, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Michael wrote:

                          > mine is even easier , I pair of c clamp vise grips ( with pads) .
                          >    now thats redneck.

                          Photos! We want photos!

                          Eric
                        • Chris Baugher
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                            On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Troy Burns wrote:

                            > There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole in the carriage so
                            > that a brass bolt can screw down against the back way. Actually, I think
                            > Varmint Al used that method, but used a steel bolt with an empty cartridge
                            > case on the end that fits against the top of the way.

                            That's what I did. It's kinda ghetto but it works.

                          • Ian Calhaem
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                              Thanks for the advice...
                              the photograph is now in the album "C1 mini lathe"

                              Thanks to all,
                              Ian.

                              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, bdmail <bdmail@o...> wrote:

                              > Hello Ian,
                              >
                              > Do you have pictures and don't know how to post them, or can't take
                              digital
                              > pictures of them?
                              >

                              > If you have pics to post, all you have to do is go to the mlathemods
                              > homepage

                              > and on the left of the page, you click "Photos"
                              >
                              > Above the folders there is a button for "Add Photo"
                              >
                              > And off you go!
                              >

                              > Bernie
                              >

                              > > I made this simple carriage stop last weekend as my first ever
                              project on a
                              > > newly acquired C1 mini lathe.
                              > >
                              > > Given the recent postings I thought others might be interested.
                              > >
                              > > It works well.
                              > >

                              > > Ian.
                              > >
                              > > (Not sure how to post yet!)
                              > >
                              > > _________________________
                              > >
                              > > Ian Calhaem
                              > >
                              > > 6 Hunterville Court
                              > >
                              > > Ellerslie
                              > >
                              > > Auckland
                              > >

                              > > ph 64 9 579-0512
                              > >
                              > > fax 64 9 579-0510
                              > >
                              > > Mob 021 936-785
                              > >
                              > > _____

                              Service.

                              > > ---------------------------------

                              > > Mini
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Mini+lathe&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+and+c

                              raft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=ODVBtgN
                              E3bFOb
                              > > PcFi90__Q> lathe
                              > >
                              > > Hobby
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Mini+lathe&w2

                              =Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&
                              .sig=9
                              > > 6dhczNkLwbd_-RUV12_Pw> and craft supply
                              > >
                              > > Craft
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+and+

                              craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=jBnWLX
                              a70lcN
                              > > uQNNYr314g> hobby
                              > >

                              > > Hobbies
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Hobbies+and+crafts&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hob

                              by+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig
                              =aLHJt
                              > > LKiOfK8ELoH_Wmv1Q> and crafts
                              > >

                              > > _____
                              > >
                              > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              > >

                              > > * Visit your group "mlathemods
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mlathemods> " on the web.

                              subject=Unsubscribe>

                              > > _____

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • SBC E-mail
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 11, 2006
                                I would love a set of plans as well.

                                Carl
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 11, 2006
                                  On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 21:08 +0000, Ellis Cory wrote:
                                  > .........There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole in
                                  > the carriage so that a brass bolt can screw down against the back
                                  > way......
                                  >
                                  > I saw this when I first wanted to mount a carriage lock. I didn't like
                                  > it because it lifts the saddle and could introduce slop.

                                  I'm not sure this would be a problem. Cutting forces push the carriage
                                  down on the front way and try to lift it off the rear way. The carriage
                                  is fairly light so I suspect clamping against the back way might reduce
                                  chatter.

                                  Has anyone tried this?

                                  Ed
                                  --
                                  Ed Beers <sreeb@...>
                                • roger_aaaws
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 12, 2006
                                    Yes I did several years ago.
                                    I used a 1/4"x28 brass bolt.
                                    DON'T Do it! ! !
                                    The ways are NOT truly hardened and even a
                                    brass bolt WILL mark the ways!

                                    Of course it happened soon after installing it.
                                    When I didn't loosen the bolt enough and it
                                    dragged across the back way.

                                    Now I can run my finger across the way and feel
                                    the slight depression made by the cheap BRASS
                                    bolt. "This was a plain and cheap 1/4" brass bolt
                                    from Home Depot! BRASS Yes Brass!!!

                                    ---------------------------

                                    The 7x10+ has enough tailstock ram travel that a
                                    carriage clamp installed on the rear of the
                                    carriage between the ways is fine.

                                    Also Note that it doesn't Have to actually be
                                    bolted to the carriage!

                                    It can be completely removable for those times it
                                    isn't needed or the tailstock Must get as close as
                                    possible to the back of the carriage. . .

                                    At it's simplest just imagine a capital H on its
                                    side. The two upright bars become the top and
                                    bottom halves of the carriage clamp, made from
                                    5/8" solid "from HD is fine" The bar that will sit
                                    across the top of the rear saddles has a ¼" thru
                                    hole in the center of it and the bar that goes
                                    Under the ways center hole is threaded ¼" x 28
                                    for a ¼" SHCS (around 3" I think its been
                                    awhile).

                                    The cross bar is actually a ¼" x 28 SHCS (I'd
                                    prefer a 28tpi rather than a 20tpi if available)
                                    That fits in the center holes in the two halves of
                                    the clamp.

                                    Just slip it on when needed and tighten down the
                                    bolt. Wont take a lot of force to clamp the
                                    carriage in use.

                                    Also just to keep the lower clamp bar from
                                    spinning with the SHCS when you tighten the
                                    clamp down. Then in the Bottom clamp half you
                                    would tap two more holes ¼" x 28 one each
                                    either side of the center tapped hole and drill
                                    aligning ¼" holes in the top clamp. So then when
                                    you assemble your carriage clamp, first you'd
                                    start by screwing SHCS's into the two outer
                                    threaded holes in the bottom clamp and cut their
                                    heads off. These are to be long enough that when
                                    the clamp is put together they will fit into the
                                    aligning thru holes drilled into the top half of the
                                    clamp to act as alignment pins to keep the
                                    bottom half from spinning . . . And two alignment
                                    pins Are better than just one.

                                    RogerHart

                                    --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Ed Beers <sreeb@b...> wrote:

                                    > On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 21:08 +0000, Ellis Cory wrote:
                                    > > .........There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole
                                    in
                                    > > the carriage so that a brass bolt can screw down against the back
                                    > > way......
                                    > >
                                    > > I saw this when I first wanted to mount a carriage lock. I didn't
                                    like
                                    > > it because it lifts the saddle and could introduce slop.
                                    >
                                    > I'm not sure this would be a problem. Cutting forces push the
                                    carriage
                                    > down on the front way and try to lift it off the rear way. The
                                    carriage
                                    > is fairly light so I suspect clamping against the back way might
                                    reduce
                                    > chatter.
                                    >
                                    > Has anyone tried this?
                                    >
                                    > Ed
                                    > --
                                    > Ed Beers <sreeb@b...>

                                  • Ellis Cory
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 12, 2006
                                      .....I'm not sure this would be a problem. Cutting forces push the carriage down on the front way and try to lift it off the rear way. The carriage is fairly light so I suspect clamping against the back way might reduce chatter......

                                      Part of this has been dealt with in another thread. I would like to add that structurally, it is better to clamp the carriage to the bed and gain a more stable and firmer grip. The bolt idea means that the carriage is held/balanced on a point one side and a line the other side. Also, it put pressere on the carriage gibs.
                                      HTH
                                      Ellis

                                    • rdgl7
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 6, 2006
                                        Corey:

                                        I just finished adding a carriage lock of your design to my
                                        MicroMark 7x12. It was easy to make and works great. I have used it
                                        on another job and can testify to its safe, positive operation well
                                        away from the chuck jaws. Many thanks for a well thought-out design!

                                        Bob Thomas

                                        wrote:

                                        > Here is some info that I posted about the design (found it using
                                        the
                                        > way-back machine) if anyone is interested.

                                        > best,
                                        >
                                        > On 1/9/06, corey renner <vandal968@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I like mine better. There is a picture in the photos section in
                                        the
                                        > > folder !Corey.

                                      • corey renner
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 6, 2006
                                          Bob,
                                          glad to hear it's working for you. That design incorporates the best pieces
                                          of a lot of carriage locks that I saw online with a few of my own ideas.
                                          I'd like to take the credit, but its really been a group effort >;)

                                          best,