Re: [mlathemods] Re: carriage lock

  • corey renner
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 9, 2006
      I like mine better. There is a picture in the photos section in the folder
      !Corey.

      As I see it, the chief disavantages of Vicky's lock are that it clamps from
      a corner instead of in the center, and it puts your hand close to the chuck
      during adjustments. On mine, the hub that the tommy bar threads into has 6
      tapped holes around the perimeter, so the clamp can be easily adjusted for
      wear.

      cheers,

      On 1/9/06, imbrewster2 <ibrew@...> wrote:

      > This seems to be a favorite:
      >
      > http://website.lineone.net/~victoria.ford/saddle.htm
      >
      > Brewster
      >
      > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "callerdoit" <callerdoit@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I need a good carriage lock design for my 7x12 cummings can you
      > help.
      > > Dave doulton@p...

    • corey renner
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 9, 2006
        Here is some info that I posted about the design (found it using the
        way-back machine) if anyone is interested.

        best,

        On 1/9/06, corey renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

        > I like mine better. There is a picture in the photos section in the
        > folder !Corey.
        >
        > As I see it, the chief disavantages of Vicky's lock are that it clamps
        > from a corner instead of in the center, and it puts your hand close to the
        > chuck during adjustments. On mine, the hub that the tommy bar threads into
        > has 6 tapped holes around the perimeter, so the clamp can be easily adjusted
        > for wear.
        >
        > cheers,

      • callerdoit
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, corey renner <vandal968@g...>
          wrote:

          > Here is some info that I posted about the design (found it using the
          > way-back machine) if anyone is interested.

          > best,
          >
          > On 1/9/06, corey renner <vandal968@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I like mine better. There is a picture in the photos section in
          the
          > > folder !Corey.
          > >
          > > As I see it, the chief disavantages of Vicky's lock are that it
          clamps
          > > from a corner instead of in the center, and it puts your hand
          close to the
          > > chuck during adjustments. On mine, the hub that the tommy bar
          threads into
          > > has 6 tapped holes around the perimeter, so the clamp can be
          easily adjusted
          > > for wear.
          > >
          > > cheers,

          Thanks Corey , A great design that removes the basic faults with
          either a side clamp or front mount and adjustment issues.. Dave
        • capt_whoopee
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
            I would be ever so grateful if you could send me the plans for the
            way back machine. There are several things I would like to undo now
            that I know how they turned out. :-)
            I agree that your method of locking the carriage is much better
            IMHO anyways. Keeping the hands away from the moving chuck is always
            a plus in my book.

            wrote:

            > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, corey renner <vandal968@g...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Here is some info that I posted about the design (found it using
            the
            > > way-back machine) if anyone is interested.

            > > best,
            > >
            > > On 1/9/06, corey renner <vandal968@g...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I like mine better. There is a picture in the photos section
            in
            > the
            > > > folder !Corey.
            > > >
            > > > As I see it, the chief disavantages of Vicky's lock are that
            it
            > clamps
            > > > from a corner instead of in the center, and it puts your hand
            > close to the
            > > > chuck during adjustments. On mine, the hub that the tommy bar
            > threads into
            > > > has 6 tapped holes around the perimeter, so the clamp can be
            > easily adjusted
            > > > for wear.
            > > >
            > > > cheers,

            > Thanks Corey , A great design that removes the basic faults with
            > either a side clamp or front mount and adjustment issues.. Dave

          • Ellis Cory
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
              ......I like mine better......

              And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but as a great believer in KISS there are some differences.
              * I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
              * At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the saddle, as the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
              * The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of making and I haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
              * The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw on the tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I can access it very easily.
              * All this makes it very easy to make and use.
              HTH
              Ellis

            • Michael
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                mine is even easier , I pair of c clamp vise grips ( with pads) .
                now thats redneck.

                Ellis Cory <ellis103@...> wrote:
                ......I like mine better......

                And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but as a great believer in KISS there are some differences.
                * I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
                * At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the saddle, as the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
                * The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of making and I haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
                * The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw on the tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I can access it very easily.
                * All this makes it very easy to make and use.
                HTH
                Ellis

                Mini lathe Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

                ---------------------------------

              • callerdoit
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                  --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Ellis Cory" <ellis103@t...> wrote:

                  > ......I like mine better......
                  >
                  > And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but
                  as a great believer in KISS there are some differences.
                  > * I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
                  > * At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the
                  saddle, as the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
                  > * The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of
                  making and I haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
                  > * The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw
                  on the tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I
                  can access it very easily.
                  > * All this makes it very easy to make and use.
                  > HTH
                  > Ellis

                  Can you send me a picture.... Dave
                • Troy Burns
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                    At 02:21 PM 1/10/2006, you wrote:
                    >......I like mine better......
                    >
                    >And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but as a
                    >great believer in KISS there are some differences.
                    >* I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
                    >* At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the saddle, as
                    >the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
                    >* The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of making and I
                    >haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
                    >* The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw on the
                    >tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I can access it
                    >very easily.
                    >* All this makes it very easy to make and use.
                    >HTH
                    > Ellis

                    Mine is similar, but sticks out the rear because the old Homiers didn't
                    have a U shaped rear to the carriage.

                    On this, as well as the tailstock, I like to use a springy piece of thin
                    steel to bear on the bottom of the ways. The thin steel will bend so that
                    a bolt can put more pressure under the ways, and in the case of a camlock
                    tailstock, it will allow the cam to go over center and still lock things
                    tightly in place.

                    tb
                  • Troy Burns
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                      There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole in the carriage so
                      that a brass bolt can screw down against the back way. Actually, I think
                      Varmint Al used that method, but used a steel bolt with an empty cartridge
                      case on the end that fits against the top of the way.

                      tb

                      At 02:31 PM 1/10/2006, you wrote:
                      >mine is even easier , I pair of c clamp vise grips ( with pads) .
                      > now thats redneck.
                      >
                      >Ellis Cory <ellis103@...> wrote:
                      > ......I like mine better......
                      >
                      >And I like mine even better LOL. My design is similar to yours, but as a
                      >great believer in KISS there are some differences.
                      >* I used a piece of angle iron, to miss the gib screws.
                      >* At each end is a plain pin dropped into 2 plain holes in the saddle, as
                      >the force would hold them in and it makes for easy removal.
                      >* The clamping plate is similar to the tailstock, for ease of making and I
                      >haven't experienced any hang-ups with it.
                      >* The clamp screw is an Allen bolt the same size as the clamp screw on the
                      >tool post, so one tool does all. The key is a ball end, so I can access it
                      >very easily.
                      >* All this makes it very easy to make and use.
                      >HTH
                      > Ellis
                    • Ellis Cory
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                        .........There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole in the carriage so that a brass bolt can screw down against the back way......

                        I saw this when I first wanted to mount a carriage lock. I didn't like it because it lifts the saddle and could introduce slop. This would lead to chatter etc. So I looked at it from a structural point and decided that clamping the saddle to the bed would be best. V. Fords idea is good, but only on one side and on the leading edge, which could reduce carriage travel, especially when using a faceplate or collets. My first design gave a purchacse of 2 to 1 ! but I decided this wasn't necessary, so I ended up with the one I described. Sorry I am no good at posting photos, haven't solved that yet.
                        HTH
                        Ellis

                      • Ellis Cory
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                          ......Can you send me a picture.... Dave.....

                          I wish I could, but I haven't solved that problem yet! Hope fully, with my description and the original photo, you should be able to get the idea.
                          HTH
                          Ellis

                        • Ian
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                            I made this simple carriage stop last weekend as my first ever project on a
                            newly acquired C1 mini lathe.

                            Given the recent postings I thought others might be interested.

                            It works well.

                            Ian.

                            (Not sure how to post yet!)

                            _________________________

                            Ian Calhaem

                            6 Hunterville Court

                            Ellerslie

                            Auckland

                            ph 64 9 579-0512

                            fax 64 9 579-0510

                            Mob 021 936-785

                            _____

                            Ellis Cory <ellis103@...> wrote:
[...]

                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mini+lathe&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+and+c
                            raft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=ODVBtgNE3bFOb
                            PcFi90__Q> lathe

                            Hobby
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Mini+lathe&w2
                            =Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=9
                            6dhczNkLwbd_-RUV12_Pw> and craft supply

                            Craft
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+and+
                            craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=jBnWLXa70lcN
                            uQNNYr314g> hobby

                            Hobbies
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobbies+and+crafts&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hob
                            by+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=aLHJt
                            LKiOfK8ELoH_Wmv1Q> and crafts

                            _____

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            * Visit your group "mlathemods
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mlathemods> " on the web.

                            _____

                          • Ellis Cory
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                              ....I made this simple carriage stop last weekend as my first ever project on a
                              newly acquired C1 mini lathe......

                              If you don't have a photo, could you describe it please .
                              Many thanks.
                              Ellis

                            • bdmail
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                                Hello Ian,

                                Do you have pictures and don't know how to post them, or can't take digital
                                pictures of them?

                                If you have pics to post, all you have to do is go to the mlathemods
                                homepage

                                and on the left of the page, you click "Photos"

                                Above the folders there is a button for "Add Photo"

                                And off you go!

                                Bernie

                                > I made this simple carriage stop last weekend as my first ever project on a
                                > newly acquired C1 mini lathe.
                                >
                                > Given the recent postings I thought others might be interested.
                                >
                                > It works well.
                                >

                                > Ian.
                                >
                                > (Not sure how to post yet!)
                                >
                                > _________________________
                                >
                                > Ian Calhaem
                                >
                                > 6 Hunterville Court
                                >
                                > Ellerslie
                                >
                                > Auckland
                                >

                                > ph 64 9 579-0512
                                >
                                > fax 64 9 579-0510
                                >
                                > Mob 021 936-785
                                >
                                > _____

                              • Eric Norman
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                                  On Jan 10, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Michael wrote:

                                  > mine is even easier , I pair of c clamp vise grips ( with pads) .
                                  >    now thats redneck.

                                  Photos! We want photos!

                                  Eric
                                • Chris Baugher
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                                    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Troy Burns wrote:

                                    > There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole in the carriage so
                                    > that a brass bolt can screw down against the back way. Actually, I think
                                    > Varmint Al used that method, but used a steel bolt with an empty cartridge
                                    > case on the end that fits against the top of the way.

                                    That's what I did. It's kinda ghetto but it works.

                                  • Ian Calhaem
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 10, 2006
                                      Thanks for the advice...
                                      the photograph is now in the album "C1 mini lathe"

                                      Thanks to all,
                                      Ian.

                                      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, bdmail <bdmail@o...> wrote:

                                      > Hello Ian,
                                      >
                                      > Do you have pictures and don't know how to post them, or can't take
                                      digital
                                      > pictures of them?
                                      >

                                      > If you have pics to post, all you have to do is go to the mlathemods
                                      > homepage

                                      > and on the left of the page, you click "Photos"
                                      >
                                      > Above the folders there is a button for "Add Photo"
                                      >
                                      > And off you go!
                                      >

                                      > Bernie
                                      >

                                      > > I made this simple carriage stop last weekend as my first ever
                                      project on a
                                      > > newly acquired C1 mini lathe.
                                      > >
                                      > > Given the recent postings I thought others might be interested.
                                      > >
                                      > > It works well.
                                      > >

                                      > > Ian.
                                      > >
                                      > > (Not sure how to post yet!)
                                      > >
                                      > > _________________________
                                      > >
                                      > > Ian Calhaem
                                      > >
                                      > > 6 Hunterville Court
                                      > >
                                      > > Ellerslie
                                      > >
                                      > > Auckland
                                      > >

                                      > > ph 64 9 579-0512
                                      > >
                                      > > fax 64 9 579-0510
                                      > >
                                      > > Mob 021 936-785
                                      > >
                                      > > _____

                                      Service.

                                      > > ---------------------------------

                                      > > Mini
                                      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                      t=ms&k=Mini+lathe&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+and+c

                                      raft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=ODVBtgN
                                      E3bFOb
                                      > > PcFi90__Q> lathe
                                      > >
                                      > > Hobby
                                      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                      t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Mini+lathe&w2

                                      =Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&
                                      .sig=9
                                      > > 6dhczNkLwbd_-RUV12_Pw> and craft supply
                                      > >
                                      > > Craft
                                      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                      t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hobby+and+

                                      craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig=jBnWLX
                                      a70lcN
                                      > > uQNNYr314g> hobby
                                      > >

                                      > > Hobbies
                                      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                      t=ms&k=Hobbies+and+crafts&w1=Mini+lathe&w2=Hob

                                      by+and+craft+supply&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobbies+and+crafts&c=4&s=85&.sig
                                      =aLHJt
                                      > > LKiOfK8ELoH_Wmv1Q> and crafts
                                      > >

                                      > > _____
                                      > >
                                      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                      > >

                                      > > * Visit your group "mlathemods
                                      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mlathemods> " on the web.

                                      subject=Unsubscribe>

                                      > > _____

                                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • SBC E-mail
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 11, 2006
                                        I would love a set of plans as well.

                                        Carl

                                        wrote:

                                        > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, corey renner <vandal968@g...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Here is some info that I posted about the design (found it using
                                        the
                                        > > way-back machine) if anyone is interested.

                                        > > best,
                                        > >
                                        > > On 1/9/06, corey renner <vandal968@g...> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I like mine better. There is a picture in the photos section
                                        in
                                        > the
                                        > > > folder !Corey.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > As I see it, the chief disavantages of Vicky's lock are that
                                        it
                                        > clamps
                                        > > > from a corner instead of in the center, and it puts your hand
                                        > close to the
                                        > > > chuck during adjustments. On mine, the hub that the tommy bar
                                        > threads into
                                        > > > has 6 tapped holes around the perimeter, so the clamp can be
                                        > easily adjusted
                                        > > > for wear.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > cheers,

                                        > Thanks Corey , A great design that removes the basic faults with
                                        > either a side clamp or front mount and adjustment issues.. Dave

                                        Service.

                                      • Ed Beers
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 11, 2006
                                          On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 21:08 +0000, Ellis Cory wrote:
                                          > .........There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole in
                                          > the carriage so that a brass bolt can screw down against the back
                                          > way......
                                          >
                                          > I saw this when I first wanted to mount a carriage lock. I didn't like
                                          > it because it lifts the saddle and could introduce slop.

                                          I'm not sure this would be a problem. Cutting forces push the carriage
                                          down on the front way and try to lift it off the rear way. The carriage
                                          is fairly light so I suspect clamping against the back way might reduce
                                          chatter.

                                          Has anyone tried this?

                                          Ed
                                          --
                                          Ed Beers <sreeb@...>
                                        • roger_aaaws
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 12, 2006
                                            Yes I did several years ago.
                                            I used a 1/4"x28 brass bolt.
                                            DON'T Do it! ! !
                                            The ways are NOT truly hardened and even a
                                            brass bolt WILL mark the ways!

                                            Of course it happened soon after installing it.
                                            When I didn't loosen the bolt enough and it
                                            dragged across the back way.

                                            Now I can run my finger across the way and feel
                                            the slight depression made by the cheap BRASS
                                            bolt. "This was a plain and cheap 1/4" brass bolt
                                            from Home Depot! BRASS Yes Brass!!!

                                            ---------------------------

                                            The 7x10+ has enough tailstock ram travel that a
                                            carriage clamp installed on the rear of the
                                            carriage between the ways is fine.

                                            Also Note that it doesn't Have to actually be
                                            bolted to the carriage!

                                            It can be completely removable for those times it
                                            isn't needed or the tailstock Must get as close as
                                            possible to the back of the carriage. . .

                                            At it's simplest just imagine a capital H on its
                                            side. The two upright bars become the top and
                                            bottom halves of the carriage clamp, made from
                                            5/8" solid "from HD is fine" The bar that will sit
                                            across the top of the rear saddles has a ¼" thru
                                            hole in the center of it and the bar that goes
                                            Under the ways center hole is threaded ¼" x 28
                                            for a ¼" SHCS (around 3" I think its been
                                            awhile).

                                            The cross bar is actually a ¼" x 28 SHCS (I'd
                                            prefer a 28tpi rather than a 20tpi if available)
                                            That fits in the center holes in the two halves of
                                            the clamp.

                                            Just slip it on when needed and tighten down the
                                            bolt. Wont take a lot of force to clamp the
                                            carriage in use.

                                            Also just to keep the lower clamp bar from
                                            spinning with the SHCS when you tighten the
                                            clamp down. Then in the Bottom clamp half you
                                            would tap two more holes ¼" x 28 one each
                                            either side of the center tapped hole and drill
                                            aligning ¼" holes in the top clamp. So then when
                                            you assemble your carriage clamp, first you'd
                                            start by screwing SHCS's into the two outer
                                            threaded holes in the bottom clamp and cut their
                                            heads off. These are to be long enough that when
                                            the clamp is put together they will fit into the
                                            aligning thru holes drilled into the top half of the
                                            clamp to act as alignment pins to keep the
                                            bottom half from spinning . . . And two alignment
                                            pins Are better than just one.

                                            RogerHart

                                            --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Ed Beers <sreeb@b...> wrote:

                                            > On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 21:08 +0000, Ellis Cory wrote:
                                            > > .........There's not much wrong with drilling and tapping a hole
                                            in
                                            > > the carriage so that a brass bolt can screw down against the back
                                            > > way......
                                            > >
                                            > > I saw this when I first wanted to mount a carriage lock. I didn't
                                            like
                                            > > it because it lifts the saddle and could introduce slop.
                                            >
                                            > I'm not sure this would be a problem. Cutting forces push the
                                            carriage
                                            > down on the front way and try to lift it off the rear way. The
                                            carriage
                                            > is fairly light so I suspect clamping against the back way might
                                            reduce
                                            > chatter.
                                            >
                                            > Has anyone tried this?
                                            >
                                            > Ed
                                            > --
                                            > Ed Beers <sreeb@b...>

                                          • Ellis Cory
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 12, 2006
                                              .....I'm not sure this would be a problem. Cutting forces push the carriage down on the front way and try to lift it off the rear way. The carriage is fairly light so I suspect clamping against the back way might reduce chatter......

                                              Part of this has been dealt with in another thread. I would like to add that structurally, it is better to clamp the carriage to the bed and gain a more stable and firmer grip. The bolt idea means that the carriage is held/balanced on a point one side and a line the other side. Also, it put pressere on the carriage gibs.
                                              HTH
                                              Ellis

                                            • rdgl7
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                Corey:

                                                I just finished adding a carriage lock of your design to my
                                                MicroMark 7x12. It was easy to make and works great. I have used it
                                                on another job and can testify to its safe, positive operation well
                                                away from the chuck jaws. Many thanks for a well thought-out design!

                                                Bob Thomas

                                                wrote:

                                                > Here is some info that I posted about the design (found it using
                                                the
                                                > way-back machine) if anyone is interested.

                                                > best,
                                                >
                                                > On 1/9/06, corey renner <vandal968@...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > I like mine better. There is a picture in the photos section in
                                                the
                                                > > folder !Corey.

                                              • corey renner
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                  Bob,
                                                  glad to hear it's working for you. That design incorporates the best pieces
                                                  of a lot of carriage locks that I saw online with a few of my own ideas.
                                                  I'd like to take the credit, but its really been a group effort >;)

                                                  best,