New HF 7x10 lathe & accessories... finally!

  • John R. Tow
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 19, 2005
      After drooling over the little lathe at a local HF store, literally
      for years, I finally bought one. I used their e-mail 20% off coupon
      while it was 'on sale' for $360... $312 with S/T. I went back this
      week for the 4-jaw chuck with another 20% coupon - $40... they also
      had the faceplate and MT2 arbor/chuck - and gave me an additional
      10% off the combo -$62. Wow - did I get a deal? Sadly, the metal
      bands are still wrapped around the plywood on the lathe - the
      accessories still in a bag, I need bench space!

      My lathe experience is with a 9" S-B tool room lathe I have had for
      27 yr - and a Taig I have had for nearly ten years. It's last
      project was turning 300 .new .32-20 case rims down by 24 thousandths
      so I could M1 Carbine size them and load them for my 1895 Nagant
      revolvers. The S-B, actually from 1946 and equipped with a leather
      drive belt, was bought initially to make an oddball idler pulley for
      my '74 Alfa Romeo Berlina's factory A/C.. which I did - as well as
      some other weird parts over the years, although my steam engines
      still elude me. I guess I am hoping I will use the little lathe
      more... and eventually sell the S-B. I don't know what I'll do
      without the 'tick... tick... tick...' sound of that leater belt's
      joint as the lathe turns.

      I just thought I'd introduce myslef - and see if you folks have any
      advice for a 'new' 7x10 owner... I am assuming that this one will be
      red, while the demo was green... Thanks!

      John
    • capt_whoopee
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
        John I am new to this forum and have been looking for a lathe for
        model boat building. Could you by any chance provide a link to the
        store or perhaps an address or toll free number? Also the sku number
        or model number of the lather you bought? Perhaps there is an online
        catalog? I am pretty interested from your description.

        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Tow" <jrtow3rd@w...>
        wrote:

        > After drooling over the little lathe at a local HF store,
        literally
        > for years, I finally bought one. I used their e-mail 20% off
        coupon
        > while it was 'on sale' for $360... $312 with S/T. I went back this
        > week for the 4-jaw chuck with another 20% coupon - $40... they
        also
        > had the faceplate and MT2 arbor/chuck - and gave me an additional
        > 10% off the combo -$62. Wow - did I get a deal? Sadly, the metal
        > bands are still wrapped around the plywood on the lathe - the
        > accessories still in a bag, I need bench space!
        >
        > My lathe experience is with a 9" S-B tool room lathe I have had
        for
        > 27 yr - and a Taig I have had for nearly ten years. It's last
        > project was turning 300 .new .32-20 case rims down by 24
        thousandths
        > so I could M1 Carbine size them and load them for my 1895 Nagant
        > revolvers. The S-B, actually from 1946 and equipped with a leather
        > drive belt, was bought initially to make an oddball idler pulley
        for
        > my '74 Alfa Romeo Berlina's factory A/C.. which I did - as well as
        > some other weird parts over the years, although my steam engines
        > still elude me. I guess I am hoping I will use the little lathe
        > more... and eventually sell the S-B. I don't know what I'll do
        > without the 'tick... tick... tick...' sound of that leater belt's
        > joint as the lathe turns.
        >
        > I just thought I'd introduce myslef - and see if you folks have
        any
        > advice for a 'new' 7x10 owner... I am assuming that this one will
        be
        > red, while the demo was green... Thanks!
        >
        > John

      • Eduard Nesterov
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
          Hi capt_whoopee,

          I am in model boat building too... Do not buy Chinese crap. Do yourself
          a favor - buy either taig or sherline. If you have any questions we can
          talk about it offline.

          Ed

        • Ward Miller
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
            Capt Whoopie, look at http://www.harborfreight.com and then search on
            Item # 33684-6VGA for the Mini-Lathe 7"x10"; listed at $419.99.

            Look at http://www.littlemachineshop.com, then click on Learning Center,
            and then on Mini-Lathe User's Guide. You'll see there everything you
            ever wanted to know about the mini-lathe, with pictures, diagrams and
            almost endless descriptions. That web site is also a good source for
            spare parts and accessories for the mini-lathe, plus relevant books and
            videos.

            To learn how to use it, see http://www.mini-lathe.com where you'll get a
            college degree on using the mini-lathe. This site gives countless links
            to supplies, other owners, user groups and loads of other neat things.

          • John R. Tow
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2005
              You need to go to Harbor Freight's website - sign up for e-mail - and
              find a H-F retail store. The #33684 7"x10" mini lathe is once again
              $360 sale price in the store - less 20% with the coupon they e-ed me
              this AM, $288 + S/T again. A decent buy - and I do have a Taig to
              compare it with. I have visions of G-scale train and model boat parts
              coming from the mini lathe - and it's new friend, a mini mill (H-F
              #44991 - $450 sale - 20% = $360 +S/T!). Keep us apprised!

              John
              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "capt_whoopee" <dbrown@n...> wrote:

              > John I am new to this forum and have been looking for a lathe for
              > model boat building. Could you by any chance provide a link to the
              > store or perhaps an address or toll free number? Also the sku number
              > or model number of the lather you bought? Perhaps there is an online
              > catalog? I am pretty interested from your description.

            • Richard Garnish
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 20, 2005
                The choice between Chinese or Taig/Sherline depends on a few things.
                The Chinese lathes can deal with bigger work in tougher materials than
                the others can reasonably manage; the Taig or Sherline will do very nice
                work in small pieces of brass or aluminium but don't have the guts for
                anything too demanding.

                On the other hand, you don't need to fiddle, fit and fix a Taig to start
                turning out quality work. The Chinese lathes are best regarded as a kit
                - until you've cleaned them up, tweaked them up and fixed a couple of
                their more glaring shortcomings they are often disappointing.

                So if you're looking at small scale model work in easily-machined
                materials, and you want a machine that just works, Taig or Sherline are
                great little machines. If you want something with the clout to turn
                3-inch steel, or cast iron, or bronze, then the Chinese lathes are up to
                the job once you've given them a bit of attention, and with a little
                effort are capable of far more.

                A few item references:

                HF (http://www.harborfreight.com) their 7x10 is item 33684 or 93212
                Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com) have a 7x12, item G8688
                Cummins (http://www.cumminstools.com) also sell the 7x12
                Micro Mark (http://www.micromark.com) sell a 7x14, item 82710

                and then:

                http://www.taigtools.com - home of the Taig
                http://www.sherline.com - can you guess yet? Both of these
                manufacturers sell direct.

                Richard

              • Michael
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 20, 2005
                  I was looking into the Taig sherline also. But I found on one of the sites that guys say you can make 1/8 cuts in steel with them no problem so I figured they lied about everything else they claimed. I will put my 4 hour tweeked harbor against any of the mini lathes. When the operator is at 100% its top of the line.

                  Richard Garnish <rdg@...> wrote: The choice between Chinese or Taig/Sherline depends on a few things.

                • Dr M J DiGirolamo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
                    Hi Michael,

                    Over the past 45 years or so, I've owned over a dozen different lathes
                    for use in my hobbies. I've had Atlas (and Craftsman), Logan, Southbend,
                    etc, etc. I also owned a "Chinese Mill" about 20 years ago. It was
                    actually a pretty nice piece of machinery. Today I own a Emco-Maier Super
                    11 (Austrian machine) which I purchased new about 10 years ago, an old
                    Bridgeport Mill and, with its arrival yesterday, a Sherline DRO lathe.

                    I will tell you the Sherline machine is very impressive to this
                    point. I wouldn't expect to take a .125" cut out of SS or even out of
                    brass with it. For heaven's sake, what's the point? Why would you stress
                    a machine engineered for small precision work into doing a "butcher's
                    job?" I ordered the full English fractional and Metric Collet sets with
                    it. I will tell you that the runout is practically nil when using these
                    collets. I would be willing to bet that one could achieve a higher degree
                    of accuracy with minimum effort using the Sherline or Taig machines over
                    most imports. Of course operator technique has a lot to do with it but why
                    waste one's time working around a sloppy machine when other machines are
                    available. Also, there are a multitude of parts and accessories available
                    for the Sherline and Taig machines.

                    So Michael, I'd say that each machine has its own
                    attractive features. The important thing is to get to know your machine
                    and learn to use it to its fullest capacity. Hope my 2 cents has
                    helped. Have fun and,

                    Merry Christmas,

                    Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN
                    Charlottesville, VA 22901

                    PS FWIW, my Emco-Maier Super 11 is the finest lathe I've ever owned. Now
                    there's a beautiful piece of work!!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
                      Thanks Doc,
                      I think I got more like 50 cents worth. I agree that the end usage makes the product,
                      Mine has performed perfectly. Its done everything That I have asked of it for a lot less money. I sold my emco to buy this one. It was a very well made lathe but much too small for what I needed. I think most of the people that I have read comments from on here are fairly new to turning and milling so precision may be limited to operator error. For entry level you can use one of these Imports and if you dont abuse it you can get your money back plus make a little if you improve it.
                      I wish I could say that for my S500. I am still trying to figure out how to turn the heated sets off , And I work on them.

                      cool turning
                      Michael