Power conversion

  • Ed Okerson
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
      I have a Harbor Freight 7x10 lathe, scroll saw, drill press, and various
      other power tools. I currently live in the US, but because of work am
      moving overseas where the power is 220V 50Hz, of course here it is 110V
      60Hz. Is it feasable to convert any of these to still work? I would hate
      to have to go out and buy all new tools, as I am sure they are much more
      expensive there. Will power tools work with any of the transformers sold
      for using appliances overseas? Any idea how much power they use? I have
      seen 200 Watt, 500 Watt, and 1000 Watt transformers. Any advice is
      appreciated.

      Ed
    • Frank Hasieber
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
        A transformer would be perfect, just make sure it is adequate for the load.
        Check the amps on the largest motor you are likely to use and allow a safety
        margin, modern transformers are quite efficient, 90% or better.
        Frank.
        Frank.

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
          Yeah, a simple step down transformer should be adequate. For sake of
          overall utility I would suggest at least 50% (preferably 100%) greater
          rating than the highest rated power tool. The transformers sold to
          tourists and travellers are probably going to be substantially more
          expensive than a simple transformer you just buy and stuff in a box
          yourself. It might be advisable to check and see if there are any
          local regulations in the area you are travelling to regarding the use
          and rating of a step down transformer.

          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Hasieber" <fhasieber@y...>
          wrote:
          > A transformer would be perfect, just make sure it is adequate for
          the load.
          > Check the amps on the largest motor you are likely to use and allow
          a safety
          > margin, modern transformers are quite efficient, 90% or better.
          > Frank.
          > Frank.

        • Ed Okerson
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
            Excellent! Any idea how much current the 3/4HP motor in the 7x10 pulls?
            I don't see an Amp rating on the outside of the lathe. I think it is the
            largest piece of equipment I have, although the bench grinders motor looks
            bigger, and it says it is 2.5A. If I recall Amps x Volts = Watts, so the
            grinder would need 2.5 x 110 = 275 Watts, so a 500 Watt transformer should
            be plenty safe, correct? Will the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz matter
            much?

            Ed

            > A transformer would be perfect, just make sure it is adequate for
            > the load.
            > Check the amps on the largest motor you are likely to use and allow a
            > safety
            > margin, modern transformers are quite efficient, 90% or better.
            > Frank.
            > Frank.

          • Frank Hasieber
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
              Hi, ¾ HP = 560watts, at 110v = current of ± 5.1 amps. Difference in Hz,
              probably not, except the motor would probably not run at the same rpm,
              slower at 50Hz, but not being an expert on this I am guessing.
              Frank.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
                Your best bet might be one of the "worksite" transformers sold over here -
                many power tools are 110v for safety reasons, so they need a step-down
                transformer. As these routinely power large power tools, it should be no
                trouble finding something with enough beef to drive your lathe, drill
                press, etc. If it was only the lathe, I'd have suggested getting a new
                circuit board for it, as I think the motors are the same. But if you're
                running several tools then a transformer sounds best.

                Richard (in sunny England)

                On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Ed Okerson wrote:

                > I have a Harbor Freight 7x10 lathe, scroll saw, drill press, and various
                > other power tools. I currently live in the US, but because of work am
                > moving overseas where the power is 220V 50Hz, of course here it is 110V
                > 60Hz. Is it feasable to convert any of these to still work? I would hate
                > to have to go out and buy all new tools, as I am sure they are much more
                > expensive there. Will power tools work with any of the transformers sold
                > for using appliances overseas? Any idea how much power they use? I have
                > seen 200 Watt, 500 Watt, and 1000 Watt transformers. Any advice is
                > appreciated.
                >
                > Ed
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Pcx
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
                  Hi ,
                  The speed of your motors will be in the ratio of 60/50 = 1.2 . 1800 rpm @ 60 Hz will be
                  1500 rpm @ 50 Hz (if you include what I call sleepage you will get 1425/1450 rpm), this for a standard electric motor.And I do not talk about losses in the windings and in the laminations (far beyond this discussion), leading to less torque.
                  Regards

                  Pierre
                  pierre.courbouleix@...
                  This e-mail is intended for the adressee(s)only and may contain info that is the property of, and/or subject to a confidentiality agreement between the intended recipients.If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the originator of this e-mail via e-mail and delete copies from your computer or network.
                  Misuse of the content of this e-mail message may violate the Laws of your Country

                • Gary Hallenbeck
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
                    One thing to consider is the change from 60hz to 50hz. This will
                    cause a reduction in the speed of the motorAND increase the motor
                    current due to the reduction in inductive reactance. It may cause the
                    motors to overload. The lathe probably won't be a problem because it
                    converts the AC to DC anyway and most electronics are made for both
                    these days

                    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:19:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                    >I have a Harbor Freight 7x10 lathe, scroll saw, drill press, and various
                    >other power tools. I currently live in the US, but because of work am
                    >moving overseas where the power is 220V 50Hz, of course here it is 110V
                    >60Hz. Is it feasable to convert any of these to still work? I would hate
                    >to have to go out and buy all new tools, as I am sure they are much more
                    >expensive there. Will power tools work with any of the transformers sold
                    >for using appliances overseas? Any idea how much power they use? I have
                    >seen 200 Watt, 500 Watt, and 1000 Watt transformers. Any advice is
                    >appreciated.
                    >
                    >Ed
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Mike E
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
                      I live in a 220v 50 Hz country and have been using a 1000 watt step down
                      transformer for 5 years on my lathe without problems.
                      > I have a Harbor Freight 7x10 lathe, scroll saw, drill press, and various
                      > other power tools. I currently live in the US, but because of work am
                      > moving overseas where the power is 220V 50Hz, of course here it is 110V
                      > 60Hz. Is it feasable to convert any of these to still work? I would hate
                      > to have to go out and buy all new tools, as I am sure they are much more
                      > expensive there. Will power tools work with any of the transformers sold
                      > for using appliances overseas? Any idea how much power they use? I have
                      > seen 200 Watt, 500 Watt, and 1000 Watt transformers. Any advice is
                      > appreciated.
                      >
                      > Ed
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >

                      > --

                    • Alan E. Lutz
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
                        Ed,

                        Before considering the transformers, make sure that your motors can not be rewired for 220v. The motor on my Grizzly G1005 mill/drill can be re-wired for 220v. The RPM data plate also shows belt arrangement vs RPM both for 50hz and 60hz.

                        AEL

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
                          First-Remember that the motor is a DC motor. Efficiency of conversion
                          from AC to DC is probably 10-30 %, but the biggest factor is that the
                          controller is set up for wide pulse modulation. Amperage to the motor
                          is about 3 amps maximum but peak amperage is considerably higher for
                          short periods of time.

                          I doubt that the differences of power frequency will make much of a
                          difference in rotation speed since it is a DC motor.

                          "freedom and fear, justice and cruelty have always been at war, and
                          we know that God is not neutral between them." George W. Bush

                          =

                          "Never in these long years have we offered any other prayer but this:
                          Lord, grant to our people peace at home, and grant and preserve to
                          them peace from the foreign foe!" : Hitler - Nuremberg Sept. 13, 1936.

                          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Mike E" <minus48v@c...> wrote:

                          > I live in a 220v 50 Hz country and have been using a 1000 watt step
                          down
                          > transformer for 5 years on my lathe without problems.

                          3/2/2005

                          > --
                        • Frank Hasieber
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 6, 2005
                            The VFD motor speed controllers for 3phase motors vary the motor speed by
                            varying the frequency, with no trouble, but I don�t know what affect a
                            frequency reduction would have on single phase, other than the speed.
                            Frank.

                            I currently live in the US, but because of work am
                            >moving overseas where the power is 220V 50Hz, of course here it is 110V
                            >60Hz. Is it feasable to convert any of these to still work? >
                            >Ed

                          • Ellis Cory
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 6, 2005
                              Richard wrote..........Your best bet might be one of the "worksite" transformers sold over here - many power tools are 110v for safety reasons, so they need a step-down transformer......

                              In the Uk these are used on building sites etc. because of the many dangers, water being one of them !
                              One of the easiest places to buy them is the Machine Mart stores. All over the uk and on the web:
                              www.machinemart.co.uk
                              Their current (joke ?) catalogue lists 9 models, from 750va to 6300va, costing 50UKP to 223UKP.
                              Not an employee, just a happy customer who looks for a bargain.
                              HTH
                              Ellis

                            • bobisnavy
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 6, 2005
                                OOOPS! I should have mentioned that the motor I was referring to was
                                the one in the HF 7X10 Lathe which is a Chinese model. It has a DC
                                motor with a controller that creates a pulse modulation DC for speed
                                control.

                                -
                                ====

                                The victor will never be asked if he told the truth: Adolf Hitler

                                ===
                                "The trouble with most folks isn't so much their ignorance. It's
                                know'n so many things that ain't so." -- A favorite quote of Richard
                                A. Muller, by 19th century humorist Josh Billings

                                =====

                                -- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "bobisnavy" <trailb@k...> wrote:

                                > First-Remember that the motor is a DC motor. Efficiency of
                                conversion
                                > from AC to DC is probably 10-30 %, but the biggest factor is that
                                the
                                > controller is set up for wide pulse modulation. Amperage to the
                                motor
                                > is about 3 amps maximum but peak amperage is considerably higher
                                for
                                > short periods of time.
                                >
                                > I doubt that the differences of power frequency will make much of a
                                > difference in rotation speed since it is a DC motor.

                                > "freedom and fear, justice and cruelty have always been at war, and
                                > we know that God is not neutral between them." George W. Bush
                                >
                                > =
                                >
                                > "Never in these long years have we offered any other prayer but
                                this:
                                > Lord, grant to our people peace at home, and grant and preserve to
                                > them peace from the foreign foe!" : Hitler - Nuremberg Sept. 13,
                                1936.

                                > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Mike E" <minus48v@c...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I live in a 220v 50 Hz country and have been using a 1000 watt
                                step
                                > down
                                > > transformer for 5 years on my lathe without problems.

                                3/2/2005