which magazine?

  • argon5w
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
      I have been thinking of getting a subscription to "Machinist's
      Workshop" as well as my "The Home Shop Machinist" subscription.
      What is the group's opinion on the two?

      Thanks,

      Richard
      www.homemachineshop.com
    • wbhinkle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
        very good magizines, been taking both since they started in the early 80's
        bill hinkle
        in Oklahoma

      • George Taylor, IV
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
          Richard,

          I get both and can't wait for the next issue
          To come out :) They publish every other month
          so to get a monthly "fix" you need to subscribe
          to both.

          George

          I have been thinking of getting a subscription to "Machinist's
          Workshop" as well as my "The Home Shop Machinist" subscription.
          What is the group's opinion on the two?

          Thanks,

          Richard
          www.homemachineshop.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • andywander
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
            They are both interesting magazines, and I do subscribe to both, in
            the absence of anything better.

            Being somewhat specialized magazines, you will find that, compared
            to stuff like Popular Mechanix, they are:

            1) Expensive
            2) Short
            3) Articles vary wildly in editorial quality.

            As an explanation, I have found that most articles are written
            by "some guy who made somthing cool", and as such, they are
            informative, but you shouldn't expect to actually understand what
            the guy is talking about without rereading the article at least a
            few times.

            Figures and illustrations may be mislabelled.

            My personal belief is that every article should start with a
            paragraph of WHY you would want to make the item in question; why it
            is better or worse that other similar designs, etc. This usually is
            NOT the case in these magazines.

            BUT, as I said, there doesn't appear to be much that is better out
            there, and I do think they are worth the cost-although I would like
            them to be longer, cheaper, better written(as, i am sure, would the
            publisher).

            Maybe if we all subscribe, the additional revenue will help toward
            that goal. :)

            Andy

          • wbhinkle@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2005
              also, Hastings and Barnes & Noble carry both magazines if you would like to
              look at a copy before you subscribe to them.
              bill hinkle
              in Oklahoma