Re: [mlathemods] Can carbide pcb drills be used as boring bits?

  • Juhan Kivineeme
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2004
      Hi,
      Generaly speaking so can carbide pcb drill shanks be used as tool bits with with sucsess.
      I have machined cast iron (even the hard surface), steel, aluminium and brass with tool bits made from old pcb drills.
      Attached a pic of my home made flycutter with tool bit of an old pcb drill.
      In this case the cutter works with light finishing cuts so it has not been any problem with a single set screw holding the bit.
      Also dont forget broken center drills and worn out end mills, they can be gound to useful tool bits.

      regards juhan Kivineeme

      Bob Colquitt <evanstonwy@...> wrote:
      One question has nagged me for a while is I go to model train shows here
      in the eastern US and there are always dealers selling used carbide p.c.
      board drill bits. I usually pick up a dozen or so if they have a decent
      assortment - and the price usually drops drastically for quantity,
      especially on Sunday afternoons. I usually go to the Great Scale Train
      show at Timonium, MD.

      After the small #80 to #40 point breaks, can the 1/8" dia shank be
      reground and used for a boring bit? The shank is already shouldered down
      on an angle. Will there be trouble trying to set a set screw tight
      enough to keep the reground bit from twisting?

      Thanks as always,
      -=- Bob Colquitt

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Juhan Kivineeme

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
          Juhan,
          Thanks for the photo - it reminds me of the drill
          press adjustable cutters.
          Frank & James - thanks for the "flat" idea - need to
          get a green wheel. Trying to save my diamond flat
          hone/file for sharpening. Thinking of grinding a flat
          the entire length to give me a reference point for
          both grinding and holding.
          -=- Bob Colquitt

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo