Clarke 6" lathe Uk

  • David Creed
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004
      Hi List i bought a Clarke Chinese 6" lathe a few years ago, the one
      with the milling head. It is not good enough for fine work but it
      will sure take the metal off when needed. When doing screwcutting i
      noticed that it was hard to pick up the thread. years ago i had an
      old zyto lathe and it had a steel peg that engaged a slot into the
      drive mechanism (dog clutch). This meant that it was impossible to
      get out of synch with the threads. I converted my machine to this
      idea as the original method had 6 different places for engagement. I
      find that even though my mod has only one place of engagement that i
      can trash the first pass of the thread. There must be something
      going on inside the headstock, has someone any ideas, Dave
    • Richard Albers
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2004
        Does your lathe have a metric leadscrew or an Imperial leadscrew?

        I have read that cutting metric threads (often) does not allow
        you to disengage the half-nuts. I have never used a lathe with a
        metric leadscrew, so I have no experience with this, but it sounds
        possible.

        Certainly if you are cutting metric threads with an Imperial
        (16tpi) leadscrew, you must keep the half-nuts engaged (this I have
        done). The same would apply if you are cutting Imperial threads
        with a metric leadscrew.

        RA

        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "David Creed" <creedclocks@h...>
        wrote:

        > Hi List i bought a Clarke Chinese 6" lathe a few years ago, the one
        > with the milling head. It is not good enough for fine work but it
        > will sure take the metal off when needed. When doing screwcutting i
        > noticed that it was hard to pick up the thread. years ago i had an
        > old zyto lathe and it had a steel peg that engaged a slot into the
        > drive mechanism (dog clutch). This meant that it was impossible to
        > get out of synch with the threads. I converted my machine to this
        > idea as the original method had 6 different places for engagement. I
        > find that even though my mod has only one place of engagement that i
        > can trash the first pass of the thread. There must be something
        > going on inside the headstock, has someone any ideas, Dave
      • David.Tocher
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2004
          One of the main problems with cutting metric threads is metric are defined
          by pitch whereas imperial are defined tpi. This means that any thread dial
          indicator is far more complex on a metric lathe - there is one available for
          the Boxford which has lots of scales and markings on it. My Boxford AUD has
          a 3mm pitch lead screw and the half nuts can engage anywhere only if the
          pitch is a simple fraction of 3mm.

          David