Re: [mlathemods] Re: Lathe Choices (more OT)

  • j.w.early@att.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 14, 2004
      Gene
      But again that is the very reason I have my current job and have had it for about 15 years now. I can machine most any part manually on most types of machines and I can program almost anything practical in Basic, Excel or several major database systems. This allows me to build a program directly from the part drawing or take a customer supplied generated one and optimize it for better cycle times. The G-code program generators the collage boys use from the office produce cycle times only suitable for aerospace or government contract work. This is why so many CNC only shops are going on the auction block or being moved offshore.

      We have mostly old cam driven machines with a few CNCs for jobs a cam machine will have trouble with. A good machinist with a decent grounding in GW or MS basic can learn hands on G-code programming of CNCs in a few weeks and there are jobs for this kind of person all over the place from a low of $12 to $25 an hour, Most shops are loosing their butts on CNC machines because of non competitive cycle times a half brained idiot could cut down by 2 to 6 times faster by using straight moves instead of macro ones.

      Barry Goldwater Extremism in
      defense of liberty is no vice.
      Tolerance in the face of tyranny
      is no virtue.

      -------------- Original message from Gene Furr : --------------

      > Very True JW
      > Arkansas U.A had a great machine course but it is gone now with a lot of
      > other things. On the other hand we are living in the time when the true
      > machinist is a thing of the past. With the invent of all the CNC machines.
      > You don't even have to use end mills in a mill any more. Now it is a kid in
      > a office in front of a computer writing programs for untold number of
      > mills, lathes, saws and so on.
      > Out in the shop there is a minimum wage guy loading and unloaded.
      > The Geeks shall inherit the earth.....Gene

    • *
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 15, 2004
        At 10:11 AM 10/14/04, you wrote:
        >As you said the modern school system is programmed to dump those who
        >question the system. This is also why they no longer teach shop skills in
        >high school or anything else that will let a person get a job and support
        >themselves. If you do not go to collage you will no longer get a job that
        >pays good money because they have either been outsourced offshore or
        >reduced to minimum wage positions. What I see of the plan being put into
        >effect is a service based economy (Wallmart/McDonalds) for the majority of
        >the population with a collage educated supervisor class to control them
        >and a smaller university educated group to feed off the lower classes like
        >the leeches they are.
        I can't agree more.
        the education system is like the military's ROTC sort out those that will
        not follow the military programmed way of procedure /law/train of thot/ect.
        Those that do get badged as leaders while the rest are sub classed and as
        happens with all sub classed pay is usually minimal for maximum work,
        while the high/ruling class do little work for high pay , and in the
        process continue to tilt the pay scales in their favor.

        >And no I do not play chess as learning the strategy for it would take to
        >much time away from things I enjoy more like reading and my trains.
        Who needs to learn strategy, that just takes the fun out of playing it. if
        you need to learn strategy first to play a game, then it just becomes work
        and loses its fun factor.

      • Michael Wood, Cincinnati
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 15, 2004
          I agree as well. What is more, most of the construction classes are
          really just maintenance man programs. Our electrical program requires
          that entrants have had high school algebra. We routinely use trig to
          figure out our pipe offsets. Yet the vast majority of electrical
          programs in my area have no algebra course work! They learn the
          difference between warm white and cool white fluorescents, how to rope a
          little romex trough some studs and how to install a receptacle or
          switch. We actually do better with the kids who went to the college prep
          programs than we do with most of the kids who went through the
          construction programs because they are better prepared with the basics.
          Mike Wood, Cincinnati

        • j.w.early@att.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 15, 2004
            Mike
            And what is funny and scary at the same time about this, is no one sees that it is done as a deliberate action to separate people into classes where they can be better controlled. The Brave New World is just around the corner and everybody but a few that are awake have happy smiles on their faces waiting for it to happen.

            -------------- Original message from "Michael Wood, Cincinnati" : --------------