Re: Shopping for a lathe.

  • Warrior
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
      Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to go for the
      Atlas. I had something bigger in mind, anyway. I think the 9x20s
      would be a good candidate for me. I'm just getting into machine
      work, so I probably won't need a high-end machine any time soon.
      However, I am a perfectionist, so I've been eyeballing machines from
      Prazi, Wabeco, etc.... However, if I could get a 9x20 for well-
      below $1000, it would be a much better investment. I've heard that
      they often need some tuning right out of the box. Stories such as
      those made me hesitate, but I think a little tuning right off the
      bat would be a great way to familiarize myself with the machine. I
      think there is an HF store here in town (Albuquerque). I'll have to
      give them a call. Thanks for all the help!
    • j.w.early@att.net
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
        What no one ever tells you is almost every machine tool needs some work before you can use it, even if it is only some adjusting. We bought a 100 grand CNC screw machine and bar loader and it took the factory guy two full days to get it up and running after the riggers and electrician were done locating the machine and wiring it. If you ever got a chance to look one of the Prazi machines over I think you wold be very disappointed in what you get in the box for money spent. Several dealers around here have them in stock to look at and I would never buy one at a quarter of the price quoted.

        Barry Goldwater Extremism in
        defense of liberty is no vice.
        Tolerance in the face of tyranny
        is no virtue.

        -------------- Original message from "Warrior" : --------------

        > Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to go for the
        > Atlas. I had something bigger in mind, anyway. I think the 9x20s
        > would be a good candidate for me. I'm just getting into machine
        > work, so I probably won't need a high-end machine any time soon.
        > However, I am a perfectionist, so I've been eyeballing machines from
        > Prazi, Wabeco, etc.... However, if I could get a 9x20 for well-
        > below $1000, it would be a much better investment. I've heard that
        > they often need some tuning right out of the box. Stories such as
        > those made me hesitate, but I think a little tuning right off the
        > bat would be a great way to familiarize myself with the machine. I
        > think there is an HF store here in town (Albuquerque). I'll have to
        > give them a call. Thanks for all the help!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Yury Brodsky
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
          As long as you are OK with a 3/4in (20mm) thru spindle bore,
          which the 9x20 shares with the 7x1x family it always looked
          to me as a capable machine.
          Yury
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
            I have a 9x, in addition to a 7x. Convinced the HF manager to sell it
            NIB for $649. I'm very happy with it. My only regret is the belt drive
            - I've broken mine & replacements are not easy to find. Even before
            LMS, HF/Griz/Enco et al had the plastic gears available for the 7x.

            (.cc to LMS - Hey, Chris - how about stocking up on some basic 9x20
            items???)

            Graciously,
            Jim
            Lakewood, CA
            All Hail Rube Goldberg!

            j.w.early@... wrote:

            > Be careful there are two types of Atlas 6-18 lathes and another machine that is often sold as an Atlas but is a Dunlop instead. The Atlas machines with the belt between the bearings that looks kind of like a mini South Bend is the best one and can do fair work for its size. The later model with the square head and the belt pulley hung on the end of the spindle is a sad case but still better than the Dunlop model.
            >
            > The 9x machines distributed by many companies of which Jet is the most expensive are better machines and with some work can become almost great machines. I have seen the 9x20 sold at HF dealers as low as $599.00 (what I paid for mine) and one chap said he got a return that was complete without the box for$450.00. Now he got a great deal because some guys friends talked him into returning the machine and buying a more expensive one. Get to know the manager at your local store and he might cut you a good or great deal depending on how his month is going.
            >

            > --
            > JWE
            > Long Beach, CA
            >
            > Barry Goldwater Extremism in
            > defense of liberty is no vice.
            > Tolerance in the face of tyranny
            > is no virtue.
            >

            > -------------- Original message from "Warrior" : --------------
            >

            >>Hello!
            >>
            >>I'm about to purchase my first metal lathe. Just wondering what I
            >>should go with. There is an old Atlas available locally (6x18) that
            >>is in great shape that I could pick up for around $500. However, I
            >>was wondering if I should pass it up and go with the other that I've
            >>had my eye on (Jet BD-920N, 9x20) for about twice the cost. I know
            >>very little and am just getting into it. The Jet appears to be a
            >>lot more machine. However, would I be better off going with the old
            >>Atlas? I have a feeling that it would be able to do all that I'm
            >>looking to. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
            >>Thanks!
          • mason
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
              Warrior--

              As a fellow perfectionist, I'd like to offer a few words on my
              experience with the 9x20.

              1) Yep, you'd better count on tuning up the machine when you get it.
              Mine had various
              things that needed attention. (I'll spare you the gory details right
              now, as I'm still going
              through some of it right now.)

              2) Some are better than others. I don't mean by brand, though. I got
              an HF 9x20 when
              they were on sale about a year & a half ago. My friend picked one up
              from HF last Christmas
              and the differences between them were amazing.

              Okay, I lied, I'm not going to spare you the details!

              First, you'll need to do the new compound clamp. Yeah, you can use it
              without it. (In fact,
              I waited a year before doing it.) But until you do it, you're limited
              to light cuts, and when
              you watch your toolpost at certain times, you'll see it flexing. I made
              a mistake in mine,
              so it's better than stock, but I need to do the compound clamp again.

              When I wanted to thread some rod, I couldn't get the original gear off
              the machine. After
              closer examination, the roll pin used was crudely cut and too long. So
              to assemble it, they
              used a hammer to pound the spacer on. (I cut the spacer off, and you
              can see the groove
              the roll pin made.) I wish that was the only thing that was hammered on!

              Also, my idler didn't have much throw, so I had to turn a slightly
              larger bushing that rides
              on the cam to give the idler pulley enough throw to change the belts.
              (Otherwise, it was
              just too darned tight!)

              My friends lathe, however, had none of these troubles. I think it's
              just the luck of the draw.

              You might think I'd be frustrated with the machine, but actually the
              machine is helping
              me curtail my obsessive perfectionist tendencies! (Cause the problems
              only show up
              when I'm trying to do something else ... thus I try to get in a fix on
              the lathe without making
              the fix "too good", lest I never complete it.)

              Also, as a newbie, I've learned a LOT about my lathe by doing the
              fixes. And each time
              I fix or improve the lathe, it gets nicer and nicer.

              --marco
            • Allan
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
                You can get a 9x19 for $750 from grizzly.
                MT3 like the mini and 3/4 inch bore.
                http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G4000

                Last time I was in Harbour Freight they seemed to have mills and lathes all
                over the place on special, if you could lift them :-)
                Allan
                > Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to go for the
                > Atlas. I had something bigger in mind, anyway. I think the 9x20s
                > would be a good candidate for me. I'm just getting into machine
                > work, so I probably won't need a high-end machine any time soon.
                > However, I am a perfectionist, so I've been eyeballing machines from
                > Prazi, Wabeco, etc.... However, if I could get a 9x20 for well-
                > below $1000, it would be a much better investment. I've heard that
                > they often need some tuning right out of the box. Stories such as
                > those made me hesitate, but I think a little tuning right off the
                > bat would be a great way to familiarize myself with the machine. I
                > think there is an HF store here in town (Albuquerque). I'll have to
                > give them a call. Thanks for all the help!
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Frank Hasieber
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Hi, my lathe, a 13 x 39 with a 3hp motor uses a poly vee belt from the
                  motor, I have had the machine for 20 years now, bought new and it still has
                  the original belt, might be worth your while to look into fitting a similar
                  belt to your machine, or to use a toothed belt.
                  Frank.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 6, 2004
                    I must have been lucky. My HF 7x required tuning, so I was ready to do
                    similar things to the HF 9x. But, other than degreasing, I've had to
                    do nothing.

                    Whatever your choice, best of luck on your purchase and welcome to the
                    addiction...@;-)

                    Graciously,
                    Jim
                    Lakewood, CA
                    All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                    Warrior wrote:

                    > Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to go for the
                    > Atlas. I had something bigger in mind, anyway. I think the 9x20s
                    > would be a good candidate for me. I'm just getting into machine
                    > work, so I probably won't need a high-end machine any time soon.
                    > However, I am a perfectionist, so I've been eyeballing machines from
                    > Prazi, Wabeco, etc.... However, if I could get a 9x20 for well-
                    > below $1000, it would be a much better investment. I've heard that
                    > they often need some tuning right out of the box. Stories such as
                    > those made me hesitate, but I think a little tuning right off the
                    > bat would be a great way to familiarize myself with the machine. I
                    > think there is an HF store here in town (Albuquerque). I'll have to
                    > give them a call. Thanks for all the help!
                  • catspringtx
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                      No one mentioned the LatheMaster 9x20 as a possible candidate for
                      Warrior. Anyone had any experience with this lathe? It looks to be a
                      good deal with quite a few accesories for $800.

                      Kid
                    • lurch9@charter.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                        At least IT has tumbler gears...unlike all the other 9x20's I know of.

                        My 9x48 South Bend "Frankenlathe", with taper attachment, 4-way tool turret, 2 chucks, and milling attachment, cost me about $900 and a year's pleasant work refurbishing it. And now I'm confident I know it intimately.

                        I'll reserve comments about American jobs going to Asia...

                        > From: "catspringtx" <catspringtx@...>
                        > Date: 2004/10/07 Thu PM 06:21:58 GMT
                        > To: mlathemods@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [mlathemods] Re: Shopping for a lathe.
                        >

                        > No one mentioned the LatheMaster 9x20 as a possible candidate for
                        > Warrior. Anyone had any experience with this lathe? It looks to be a
                        > good deal with quite a few accesories for $800.
                        >
                        > Kid
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Warrior
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                          I checked out the Lathemaster. Seems pretty nice. If I get
                          something new, that will probably be it. A nice, used South Bend
                          would be great, but there doesn't seem to be many of them west of
                          the Mississippi. I've got a line on a used Enco. Looks like a
                          great machine in great shape.
                        • James Early
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                            Lurch
                            It has no more tumbler gears than the regular ones do. It comes with a stud
                            and bushing so you can fit one of the change gears in place on the back of
                            the head and readjust the change gear plate to mesh and reverse the lead
                            screw. To use it must be inserted for left hand turning and removed for
                            normal turning. Much easier to just spend an hour making a real tumbler
                            system. It is also missing the worm drive system in the apron for turning
                            forcing you to use the threading half nuts for all power feed turning. Also
                            missing is the semi quick change gearbox that is fitted to the BV920 models.
                            What you get in some of the features it has over the others you lose in some
                            of the features it does not have that the others do.

                            As to fit, finish or quality there is little if anything to choose from
                            between any of them. And there is no loss of jobs from these machines there
                            have been no US small lathes in this size class since Atlas shut down
                            production of their 618 model in the late 1960s.
                            Barry Goldwater
                            A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to
                            take it all away.

                            > At least IT has tumbler gears...unlike all the other 9x20's I know of.
                            >
                            > My 9x48 South Bend "Frankenlathe", with taper attachment, 4-way tool
                            turret, 2 chucks, and milling attachment, cost me about $900 and a year's
                            pleasant work refurbishing it. And now I'm confident I know it intimately.

                            > I'll reserve comments about American jobs going to Asia...
                          • Hank
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                              I've used one for over 3 years now and love it. Since I change speed a
                              lot more than

                              Feeds it's is a better machine for me than the other 9X20's which have
                              quick change

                              For part of the range of feeds but now on spindle speeds. Also Bob at
                              Lathemasters

                              Is a really great guy to deal with. I also Have the X3 mill from him and
                              it's awesome

                              For it's small size.

                              Hank

                              No one mentioned the LatheMaster 9x20 as a possible candidate for
                              Warrior. Anyone had any experience with this lathe? It looks to be a
                              good deal with quite a few accesories for $800.

                              Kid

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bffmft/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
                              D=groups/S=1705063697:HM/EXP=1097261015/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
                              p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

                              s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=809820869>

                              _____

                            • ekdadlec
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 8, 2004
                                --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Warrior" <ions82@h...> wrote:

                                > Hello!
                                >
                                > I'm about to purchase my first metal lathe. Just wondering what I
                                > should go with. There is an old Atlas available locally (6x18)
                                that
                                > is in great shape that I could pick up for around $500. However, I
                                > was wondering if I should pass it up and go with the other that
                                I've
                                > had my eye on (Jet BD-920N, 9x20) for about twice the cost. I know
                                > very little and am just getting into it. The Jet appears to be a
                                > lot more machine. However, would I be better off going with the
                                old
                                > Atlas? I have a feeling that it would be able to do all that I'm
                                > looking to. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
                                > Thanks!

                                Warrior,

                                I have both the 7x10 mini-lathe and the HF 9x20. The mini-lathe is a
                                great lathe for the money. After using it for a few years I started
                                running into capacity problems with it so I bought the 9x20 last
                                January. I love the 9x20 almost as much as the mini-lathe. I got
                                spoiled with the mini-lathes variable speed motor so I am in the
                                process of converting my 9x20 to use a DC motor and controller. With
                                some luck I may actually complete the conversion this weekend.
                                The 9x20 does need some work to fine tune it but I have enjoyed the
                                challenge and have gotten to know the lathe very well. The first
                                thing you will need to do if you purchase any of the 9x20s is to
                                deburr the leadscrew so you don't destroy the half-nuts. If you are
                                seriously considering a 9x20 you should join the 9x20 group and
                                consume all of the great information available there. Good luck with
                                your lathe purchase.

                                Ed
                              • Warrior
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 8, 2004
                                  Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the help and
                                  information. I can't wait to get a small shop going. Unsure as to
                                  what size or which one. Still waiting/debating on going bigger than
                                  a 9x20. Anyway, I appreciate the advice from everyone here. With
                                  cyberspace usually being so impersonal, it's great to have
                                  knowledgeable people taking the time to help out. Thanks again.
                                • Cletus L. Berkeley
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 9, 2004
                                    Hi:
                                    Just a quick note to add to everyone else's. I bought
                                    my Grizzly G4000 in April 2003 (by July 2003 it had
                                    paid for itself and the accessories), done all the
                                    mods and bought all the accessories and built a bunch
                                    of tooling for the thing ...I am totally satisfied
                                    with the machine (be prepared to spend twice the price
                                    of the lathe on a collection of tooling and
                                    accessories ...best to get just the items you need
                                    for immediate use and add to your collection as
                                    necessity dictates). I also bought a Mini-Mill and a
                                    4x6 Bandsaw. I have moved my business to an extension
                                    at the back of my house so now the office, Electronics
                                    Lab and Metal Workshop is right here where I can get
                                    to them when inspiration comes knocking ....this is
                                    usually at around 2:AM much to the "delight" of the
                                    neighbours <G>.
                                    If I were to do it all over again I would probably go
                                    the same route. My advice would be to buy a Lathe as
                                    large as you could afford and house (my 9x20 does
                                    everything I need to do, but regardless of which size
                                    lathe we have, we tend to still salivate at the
                                    thought of a "little larger" machine).
                                    There is an excellent support group with over 2000
                                    knowledgable members
                                    http://www.9x20lathe@yahoogroups.com
                                    You can also look at the pics of my setup and others
                                    there too.
                                    Hope this helps.
                                    Cheers, Cletus

                                    --- Warrior <ions82@...> wrote:

                                    > Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the help
                                    > and
                                    > information. I can't wait to get a small shop
                                    > going. Unsure as to
                                    > what size or which one. Still waiting/debating on
                                    > going bigger than
                                    > a 9x20. Anyway, I appreciate the advice from
                                    > everyone here. With
                                    > cyberspace usually being so impersonal, it's great
                                    > to have
                                    > knowledgeable people taking the time to help out.
                                    > Thanks again.

                                  • David
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 9, 2004
                                      Cletus:

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 9, 2004
                                        YUP Dave! ...That's when I do my best work. They are
                                        accustomed to it (have good neighbours). I try not to
                                        run the 6HP compressor or shop-vac at that hour
                                        though, as that would wake the wife, then I would
                                        really get it (ha,ha). The secret is: I often fix
                                        their broken stuff for free (kinda sneaky I know, but
                                        it works). Even have a guy wire for my Ham-Radio
                                        antenna, pulled and iied-off over at the neighbour at
                                        back.
                                        Cheers, Cletus