Re: [mlathemods] Shopping for a lathe.

  • j.w.early@att.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
      Be careful there are two types of Atlas 6-18 lathes and another machine that is often sold as an Atlas but is a Dunlop instead. The Atlas machines with the belt between the bearings that looks kind of like a mini South Bend is the best one and can do fair work for its size. The later model with the square head and the belt pulley hung on the end of the spindle is a sad case but still better than the Dunlop model.

      The 9x machines distributed by many companies of which Jet is the most expensive are better machines and with some work can become almost great machines. I have seen the 9x20 sold at HF dealers as low as $599.00 (what I paid for mine) and one chap said he got a return that was complete without the box for$450.00. Now he got a great deal because some guys friends talked him into returning the machine and buying a more expensive one. Get to know the manager at your local store and he might cut you a good or great deal depending on how his month is going.

      Barry Goldwater Extremism in
      defense of liberty is no vice.
      Tolerance in the face of tyranny
      is no virtue.

      -------------- Original message from "Warrior" : --------------

      > Hello!
      >
      > I'm about to purchase my first metal lathe. Just wondering what I
      > should go with. There is an old Atlas available locally (6x18) that
      > is in great shape that I could pick up for around $500. However, I
      > was wondering if I should pass it up and go with the other that I've
      > had my eye on (Jet BD-920N, 9x20) for about twice the cost. I know
      > very little and am just getting into it. The Jet appears to be a
      > lot more machine. However, would I be better off going with the old
      > Atlas? I have a feeling that it would be able to do all that I'm
      > looking to. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
      > Thanks!
    • Warrior
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
        Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to go for the
        Atlas. I had something bigger in mind, anyway. I think the 9x20s
        would be a good candidate for me. I'm just getting into machine
        work, so I probably won't need a high-end machine any time soon.
        However, I am a perfectionist, so I've been eyeballing machines from
        Prazi, Wabeco, etc.... However, if I could get a 9x20 for well-
        below $1000, it would be a much better investment. I've heard that
        they often need some tuning right out of the box. Stories such as
        those made me hesitate, but I think a little tuning right off the
        bat would be a great way to familiarize myself with the machine. I
        think there is an HF store here in town (Albuquerque). I'll have to
        give them a call. Thanks for all the help!
      • j.w.early@att.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
          What no one ever tells you is almost every machine tool needs some work before you can use it, even if it is only some adjusting. We bought a 100 grand CNC screw machine and bar loader and it took the factory guy two full days to get it up and running after the riggers and electrician were done locating the machine and wiring it. If you ever got a chance to look one of the Prazi machines over I think you wold be very disappointed in what you get in the box for money spent. Several dealers around here have them in stock to look at and I would never buy one at a quarter of the price quoted.

          Barry Goldwater Extremism in
          defense of liberty is no vice.
          Tolerance in the face of tyranny
          is no virtue.

          -------------- Original message from "Warrior" : --------------

          > Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to go for the
          > Atlas. I had something bigger in mind, anyway. I think the 9x20s
          > would be a good candidate for me. I'm just getting into machine
          > work, so I probably won't need a high-end machine any time soon.
          > However, I am a perfectionist, so I've been eyeballing machines from
          > Prazi, Wabeco, etc.... However, if I could get a 9x20 for well-
          > below $1000, it would be a much better investment. I've heard that
          > they often need some tuning right out of the box. Stories such as
          > those made me hesitate, but I think a little tuning right off the
          > bat would be a great way to familiarize myself with the machine. I
          > think there is an HF store here in town (Albuquerque). I'll have to
          > give them a call. Thanks for all the help!
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Yury Brodsky
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
            As long as you are OK with a 3/4in (20mm) thru spindle bore,
            which the 9x20 shares with the 7x1x family it always looked
            to me as a capable machine.
            Yury
            > Be careful there are two types of Atlas 6-18 lathes and
            another machine that is often sold as an Atlas but is a
            Dunlop instead. The Atlas machines with the belt between the
            bearings that looks kind of like a mini South Bend is the
            best one and can do fair work for its size. The later model
            with the square head and the belt pulley hung on the end of
            the spindle is a sad case but still better than the Dunlop
            model.

            > The 9x machines distributed by many companies of which Jet
            is the most expensive are better machines and with some work
            can become almost great machines. I have seen the 9x20 sold
            at HF dealers as low as $599.00 (what I paid for mine) and
            one chap said he got a return that was complete without the
            box for$450.00. Now he got a great deal because some guys
            friends talked him into returning the machine and buying a
            more expensive one. Get to know the manager at your local
            store and he might cut you a good or great deal depending on
            how his month is going.

            > --
            > JWE
            > Long Beach, CA
            >
            > Barry Goldwater Extremism in
            > defense of liberty is no vice.
            > Tolerance in the face of tyranny
            > is no virtue.
            >

            > -------------- Original message from "Warrior"
            : --------------

            > > Hello!
            > >
            > > I'm about to purchase my first metal lathe. Just
            wondering what I
            > > should go with. There is an old Atlas available locally
            (6x18) that
            > > is in great shape that I could pick up for around $500.
            However, I
            > > was wondering if I should pass it up and go with the
            other that I've
            > > had my eye on (Jet BD-920N, 9x20) for about twice the
            cost. I know
            > > very little and am just getting into it. The Jet appears
            to be a
            > > lot more machine. However, would I be better off going
            with the old
            > > Atlas? I have a feeling that it would be able to do all
            that I'm
            > > looking to. Any advice or input would be greatly
            appreciated.
            > > Thanks!
            >

            > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
            Sponsor --------------------~-->
            Toolbar.
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/RUTolB/TM

          • Jim E.
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
              I have a 9x, in addition to a 7x. Convinced the HF manager to sell it
              NIB for $649. I'm very happy with it. My only regret is the belt drive
              - I've broken mine & replacements are not easy to find. Even before
              LMS, HF/Griz/Enco et al had the plastic gears available for the 7x.

              (.cc to LMS - Hey, Chris - how about stocking up on some basic 9x20
              items???)

              Graciously,
              Jim
              Lakewood, CA
              All Hail Rube Goldberg!

              j.w.early@... wrote:

              > Be careful there are two types of Atlas 6-18 lathes and another machine that is often sold as an Atlas but is a Dunlop instead. The Atlas machines with the belt between the bearings that looks kind of like a mini South Bend is the best one and can do fair work for its size. The later model with the square head and the belt pulley hung on the end of the spindle is a sad case but still better than the Dunlop model.
              >
              > The 9x machines distributed by many companies of which Jet is the most expensive are better machines and with some work can become almost great machines. I have seen the 9x20 sold at HF dealers as low as $599.00 (what I paid for mine) and one chap said he got a return that was complete without the box for$450.00. Now he got a great deal because some guys friends talked him into returning the machine and buying a more expensive one. Get to know the manager at your local store and he might cut you a good or great deal depending on how his month is going.
              >

              > --
              > JWE
              > Long Beach, CA
              >
              > Barry Goldwater Extremism in
              > defense of liberty is no vice.
              > Tolerance in the face of tyranny
              > is no virtue.
              >

              > -------------- Original message from "Warrior" : --------------
              >

              >>Hello!
              >>
              >>I'm about to purchase my first metal lathe. Just wondering what I
              >>should go with. There is an old Atlas available locally (6x18) that
              >>is in great shape that I could pick up for around $500. However, I
              >>was wondering if I should pass it up and go with the other that I've
              >>had my eye on (Jet BD-920N, 9x20) for about twice the cost. I know
              >>very little and am just getting into it. The Jet appears to be a
              >>lot more machine. However, would I be better off going with the old
              >>Atlas? I have a feeling that it would be able to do all that I'm
              >>looking to. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
              >>Thanks!
            • mason
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
                Warrior--

                As a fellow perfectionist, I'd like to offer a few words on my
                experience with the 9x20.

                1) Yep, you'd better count on tuning up the machine when you get it.
                Mine had various
                things that needed attention. (I'll spare you the gory details right
                now, as I'm still going
                through some of it right now.)

                2) Some are better than others. I don't mean by brand, though. I got
                an HF 9x20 when
                they were on sale about a year & a half ago. My friend picked one up
                from HF last Christmas
                and the differences between them were amazing.

                Okay, I lied, I'm not going to spare you the details!

                First, you'll need to do the new compound clamp. Yeah, you can use it
                without it. (In fact,
                I waited a year before doing it.) But until you do it, you're limited
                to light cuts, and when
                you watch your toolpost at certain times, you'll see it flexing. I made
                a mistake in mine,
                so it's better than stock, but I need to do the compound clamp again.

                When I wanted to thread some rod, I couldn't get the original gear off
                the machine. After
                closer examination, the roll pin used was crudely cut and too long. So
                to assemble it, they
                used a hammer to pound the spacer on. (I cut the spacer off, and you
                can see the groove
                the roll pin made.) I wish that was the only thing that was hammered on!

                Also, my idler didn't have much throw, so I had to turn a slightly
                larger bushing that rides
                on the cam to give the idler pulley enough throw to change the belts.
                (Otherwise, it was
                just too darned tight!)

                My friends lathe, however, had none of these troubles. I think it's
                just the luck of the draw.

                You might think I'd be frustrated with the machine, but actually the
                machine is helping
                me curtail my obsessive perfectionist tendencies! (Cause the problems
                only show up
                when I'm trying to do something else ... thus I try to get in a fix on
                the lathe without making
                the fix "too good", lest I never complete it.)

                Also, as a newbie, I've learned a LOT about my lathe by doing the
                fixes. And each time
                I fix or improve the lathe, it gets nicer and nicer.

                --marco
              • Allan
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 5, 2004
                  You can get a 9x19 for $750 from grizzly.
                  MT3 like the mini and 3/4 inch bore.
                  http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G4000

                  Last time I was in Harbour Freight they seemed to have mills and lathes all
                  over the place on special, if you could lift them :-)
                  Allan
                  > Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to go for the
                  > Atlas. I had something bigger in mind, anyway. I think the 9x20s
                  > would be a good candidate for me. I'm just getting into machine
                  > work, so I probably won't need a high-end machine any time soon.
                  > However, I am a perfectionist, so I've been eyeballing machines from
                  > Prazi, Wabeco, etc.... However, if I could get a 9x20 for well-
                  > below $1000, it would be a much better investment. I've heard that
                  > they often need some tuning right out of the box. Stories such as
                  > those made me hesitate, but I think a little tuning right off the
                  > bat would be a great way to familiarize myself with the machine. I
                  > think there is an HF store here in town (Albuquerque). I'll have to
                  > give them a call. Thanks for all the help!
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Frank Hasieber
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 6, 2004
                    Hi, my lathe, a 13 x 39 with a 3hp motor uses a poly vee belt from the
                    motor, I have had the machine for 20 years now, bought new and it still has
                    the original belt, might be worth your while to look into fitting a similar
                    belt to your machine, or to use a toothed belt.
                    Frank.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 6, 2004
                      I must have been lucky. My HF 7x required tuning, so I was ready to do
                      similar things to the HF 9x. But, other than degreasing, I've had to
                      do nothing.

                      Whatever your choice, best of luck on your purchase and welcome to the
                      addiction...@;-)

                      Graciously,
                      Jim
                      Lakewood, CA
                      All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                      Warrior wrote:

                      > Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'm going to go for the
                      > Atlas. I had something bigger in mind, anyway. I think the 9x20s
                      > would be a good candidate for me. I'm just getting into machine
                      > work, so I probably won't need a high-end machine any time soon.
                      > However, I am a perfectionist, so I've been eyeballing machines from
                      > Prazi, Wabeco, etc.... However, if I could get a 9x20 for well-
                      > below $1000, it would be a much better investment. I've heard that
                      > they often need some tuning right out of the box. Stories such as
                      > those made me hesitate, but I think a little tuning right off the
                      > bat would be a great way to familiarize myself with the machine. I
                      > think there is an HF store here in town (Albuquerque). I'll have to
                      > give them a call. Thanks for all the help!
                    • catspringtx
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                        No one mentioned the LatheMaster 9x20 as a possible candidate for
                        Warrior. Anyone had any experience with this lathe? It looks to be a
                        good deal with quite a few accesories for $800.

                        Kid
                      • lurch9@charter.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                          At least IT has tumbler gears...unlike all the other 9x20's I know of.

                          My 9x48 South Bend "Frankenlathe", with taper attachment, 4-way tool turret, 2 chucks, and milling attachment, cost me about $900 and a year's pleasant work refurbishing it. And now I'm confident I know it intimately.

                          I'll reserve comments about American jobs going to Asia...

                          > From: "catspringtx" <catspringtx@...>
                          > Date: 2004/10/07 Thu PM 06:21:58 GMT
                          > To: mlathemods@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: [mlathemods] Re: Shopping for a lathe.
                          >

                          > No one mentioned the LatheMaster 9x20 as a possible candidate for
                          > Warrior. Anyone had any experience with this lathe? It looks to be a
                          > good deal with quite a few accesories for $800.
                          >
                          > Kid
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Warrior
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                            I checked out the Lathemaster. Seems pretty nice. If I get
                            something new, that will probably be it. A nice, used South Bend
                            would be great, but there doesn't seem to be many of them west of
                            the Mississippi. I've got a line on a used Enco. Looks like a
                            great machine in great shape.
                          • James Early
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                              Lurch
                              It has no more tumbler gears than the regular ones do. It comes with a stud
                              and bushing so you can fit one of the change gears in place on the back of
                              the head and readjust the change gear plate to mesh and reverse the lead
                              screw. To use it must be inserted for left hand turning and removed for
                              normal turning. Much easier to just spend an hour making a real tumbler
                              system. It is also missing the worm drive system in the apron for turning
                              forcing you to use the threading half nuts for all power feed turning. Also
                              missing is the semi quick change gearbox that is fitted to the BV920 models.
                              What you get in some of the features it has over the others you lose in some
                              of the features it does not have that the others do.

                              As to fit, finish or quality there is little if anything to choose from
                              between any of them. And there is no loss of jobs from these machines there
                              have been no US small lathes in this size class since Atlas shut down
                              production of their 618 model in the late 1960s.
                              Barry Goldwater
                              A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to
                              take it all away.

                              > At least IT has tumbler gears...unlike all the other 9x20's I know of.
                              >
                              > My 9x48 South Bend "Frankenlathe", with taper attachment, 4-way tool
                              turret, 2 chucks, and milling attachment, cost me about $900 and a year's
                              pleasant work refurbishing it. And now I'm confident I know it intimately.

                              > I'll reserve comments about American jobs going to Asia...
                            • Hank
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 7, 2004
                                I've used one for over 3 years now and love it. Since I change speed a
                                lot more than

                                Feeds it's is a better machine for me than the other 9X20's which have
                                quick change

                                For part of the range of feeds but now on spindle speeds. Also Bob at
                                Lathemasters

                                Is a really great guy to deal with. I also Have the X3 mill from him and
                                it's awesome

                                For it's small size.

                                Hank

                                No one mentioned the LatheMaster 9x20 as a possible candidate for
                                Warrior. Anyone had any experience with this lathe? It looks to be a
                                good deal with quite a few accesories for $800.

                                Kid

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bffmft/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
                                D=groups/S=1705063697:HM/EXP=1097261015/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
                                p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

                                s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=809820869>

                                _____

                              • ekdadlec
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 8, 2004
                                  --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Warrior" <ions82@h...> wrote:

                                  > Hello!
                                  >
                                  > I'm about to purchase my first metal lathe. Just wondering what I
                                  > should go with. There is an old Atlas available locally (6x18)
                                  that
                                  > is in great shape that I could pick up for around $500. However, I
                                  > was wondering if I should pass it up and go with the other that
                                  I've
                                  > had my eye on (Jet BD-920N, 9x20) for about twice the cost. I know
                                  > very little and am just getting into it. The Jet appears to be a
                                  > lot more machine. However, would I be better off going with the
                                  old
                                  > Atlas? I have a feeling that it would be able to do all that I'm
                                  > looking to. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
                                  > Thanks!

                                  Warrior,

                                  I have both the 7x10 mini-lathe and the HF 9x20. The mini-lathe is a
                                  great lathe for the money. After using it for a few years I started
                                  running into capacity problems with it so I bought the 9x20 last
                                  January. I love the 9x20 almost as much as the mini-lathe. I got
                                  spoiled with the mini-lathes variable speed motor so I am in the
                                  process of converting my 9x20 to use a DC motor and controller. With
                                  some luck I may actually complete the conversion this weekend.
                                  The 9x20 does need some work to fine tune it but I have enjoyed the
                                  challenge and have gotten to know the lathe very well. The first
                                  thing you will need to do if you purchase any of the 9x20s is to
                                  deburr the leadscrew so you don't destroy the half-nuts. If you are
                                  seriously considering a 9x20 you should join the 9x20 group and
                                  consume all of the great information available there. Good luck with
                                  your lathe purchase.

                                  Ed
                                • Warrior
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 8, 2004
                                    Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the help and
                                    information. I can't wait to get a small shop going. Unsure as to
                                    what size or which one. Still waiting/debating on going bigger than
                                    a 9x20. Anyway, I appreciate the advice from everyone here. With
                                    cyberspace usually being so impersonal, it's great to have
                                    knowledgeable people taking the time to help out. Thanks again.
                                  • Cletus L. Berkeley
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 9, 2004
                                      Hi:
                                      Just a quick note to add to everyone else's. I bought
                                      my Grizzly G4000 in April 2003 (by July 2003 it had
                                      paid for itself and the accessories), done all the
                                      mods and bought all the accessories and built a bunch
                                      of tooling for the thing ...I am totally satisfied
                                      with the machine (be prepared to spend twice the price
                                      of the lathe on a collection of tooling and
                                      accessories ...best to get just the items you need
                                      for immediate use and add to your collection as
                                      necessity dictates). I also bought a Mini-Mill and a
                                      4x6 Bandsaw. I have moved my business to an extension
                                      at the back of my house so now the office, Electronics
                                      Lab and Metal Workshop is right here where I can get
                                      to them when inspiration comes knocking ....this is
                                      usually at around 2:AM much to the "delight" of the
                                      neighbours <G>.
                                      If I were to do it all over again I would probably go
                                      the same route. My advice would be to buy a Lathe as
                                      large as you could afford and house (my 9x20 does
                                      everything I need to do, but regardless of which size
                                      lathe we have, we tend to still salivate at the
                                      thought of a "little larger" machine).
                                      There is an excellent support group with over 2000
                                      knowledgable members
                                      http://www.9x20lathe@yahoogroups.com
                                      You can also look at the pics of my setup and others
                                      there too.
                                      Hope this helps.
                                      Cheers, Cletus

                                      --- Warrior <ions82@...> wrote:

                                      > Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the help
                                      > and
                                      > information. I can't wait to get a small shop
                                      > going. Unsure as to
                                      > what size or which one. Still waiting/debating on
                                      > going bigger than
                                      > a 9x20. Anyway, I appreciate the advice from
                                      > everyone here. With
                                      > cyberspace usually being so impersonal, it's great
                                      > to have
                                      > knowledgeable people taking the time to help out.
                                      > Thanks again.

                                    • David
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 9, 2004
                                        Cletus:

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 9, 2004
                                          YUP Dave! ...That's when I do my best work. They are
                                          accustomed to it (have good neighbours). I try not to
                                          run the 6HP compressor or shop-vac at that hour
                                          though, as that would wake the wife, then I would
                                          really get it (ha,ha). The secret is: I often fix
                                          their broken stuff for free (kinda sneaky I know, but
                                          it works). Even have a guy wire for my Ham-Radio
                                          antenna, pulled and iied-off over at the neighbour at
                                          back.
                                          Cheers, Cletus