772Re: [mlathemods] Re: Lathe Choices (more OT)

  • j.w.early@worldnet.att.net
    May 25, 2004
      WD
      After considering this for a couple of days I feel both of you have very valid points based on perceived cause and effect. However from other viewpoints perceptions can shift and show a different picture. In most areas today if you buy into the one size fits all program you will get a semi free ride either through collage into a paper shuffling job or into a union position that will stifle any creativity you might have acquired in your early years because it does not fit your job description.

      The tendency in the educational system today is to produce round pegs properly sized to fit into round plug and play job positions in business and industry. More flexible creative minds fit into this system about as well as a square peg will into a board with only round holes. So what happens to the creative mind, it either gets its corners rounded off to fit in the per programmed round hole or it has to survive as best can in the independent world where individuality and ability count for more than conformity does.

      Have you ever watched what happens to a company when the union comes in and takes control. First they will observe all work in the shop and develop job titles and descriptions. Then they will define those job descriptions more carefully. So in a screw machine shop for instance we will illustrate the job position of machine operator. Now in the company before the union the operator did parts of the setup of the machine, changed and sharpened drills, changed and sharpened cutting tools and adjusted them and checked the parts he makes to make sure the tooling gets changed, sharpened or adjusted before the parts go out of print, after the union he can only put parts into the machine and take them out. It now requires a setup man for every five machines to do the sharpening and adjusting of tooling and an inspector for every five machines to check the work and call the setup man when there is a problem with the parts. Also the supervisor and lead men are no longer allowed to setup or adjust the machines because they are management.

      So now we have a department of say 20 machines that used to run with six people that now requires twelve at more money for less production. Also we now have a situation where the worker and the company instead of working together in cooperation as a team to raise profits and pay through higher production and better quality, they are now adversaries where production suffers and quality suffers if the ransom of higher wages is nor forthcoming even though quality and production are falling.

      Next step is the company farming out the work of the department with the worst productivity problems followed with a plant or company wide strike because of the outsourcing. Soon the outsourcing goes to other countries where worker productivity is higher so the company can afford to pay the upward spiraling union wages for those positions still left that can not be outsourced despite their falling productivity and outright sabotage of quality. Next step is owner or board of directors decides to sell off or dump the company to an international combine, which comes in and moves the rest of the work somewhere else and sells off what is left to improve their bottom line.

      A short discourse on modern education and the democratic union system and its effect on a once great and productive nation and people.
      "Liberty means responsibility.
      That�s why most men dread it."
      � George Bernard Shaw, 19th/20th-
      century Anglo-Irish dramatist and