4174Re: [mlathemods] RE: Tool rust prevention

  • Joe V31JP
    Sep 20, 2013
      Interesting.  Now to find it here. It dissolves in alcohol.  I am stopping by the pharmacist today in town, I hope.

      On 9/20/2013 4:04 AM, MERTON B BAKER wrote:
      & if you put a little Phenolphthalein dye in with the gel, it turns pink when it needs the oven, & a nice blue when it comes out ready to remove moisture.

      Mert

      -----Original Message-----
      From: mlathemods@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mlathemods@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of renais_sance@...
      Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:20 AM
      To: mlathemods@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: RE: [mlathemods] RE: Tool rust prevention

      Rust removal (similar to Evapo-Rust): http://www.cortecvci.com/Products/single.php?code=10244

      Rust Prevention, pick your poison:
      http://slideproducts.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?cat=rust+preventives

      The econ "blue" might be better for a salt-air environment.

      I've had good luck using a general 70% blend of 30W-20W synthetic motor oil, 20% Marvel's Mystery Oil, and 10% Mineral spirits for most machine lubrication and tool wipe-down.

      Heavy Duck-canvas machine covers are a must and reduced my rusting problems by at least 50%.

      A 5lb. container of Silica Powder will last forever!  Hobby Lobby has 40% off coupons all the time.  Place it in salt shakers or empty spice containers with a fabric "trap" to prevent spillage.  I use round cutouts from dust masks.  Good for ammo cans too, along with a semiconductor parts moisture indicator card thrown in.

      Microwave used desiccant at a medium power setting in a glass baking pan for 5-10 minutes and let cool to re-activate. Stir and repeat if you have more than 1/4" of desiccant.  It's actually better to do in a regular oven, but it takes about 30-45 minutes at 225F, plus cool-down time.

      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, <mlathemods@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      If you can't get enough silica  gel by saving pill packets, craft stores such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby sell silica gel in large containers for drying flowers; and it's pretty inexpensive. It's the same stuff which  can be reactivated by a trip to the oven.

      --
      Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
      P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
      (Hopkins Village) Belize
      011-501-503-7346 Belize
      011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
      or
      5204 Texas Highway 49 W
      Omaha, TX 75571-6474
      U.S.A.
      903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
      903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
      Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
      PG1915841
      Skype: v31joepalooka
      http://www.justanswer.com/lp-1eh8-tool-repair
      I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
      V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic