4160Re: [mlathemods] RE: Tool rust prevention

  • Joe V31JP
    Sep 18, 2013
      Thank you, Earl.

      Yes, I failed to say, I do not use WD-40 here at all.???? For a penetrating oil, I KROIL and it works even better
      then Blaster????? Could not even find that here, but bought and brought back KROIL last trip to the States.
      I then follow up with regular oil, weight depending on the used, from sewing machine oil, turbine oil to 40W
      engine oil. I would almost best there is water in WD-40 the way it seems to rust.

      That brown paper you mentioned is similar to light fishpaper, but...

      And I keep those little packs that come in everything, from items to pill bottles.
      I take them out and put them in my little toaster oven to dry them out.

      After the first of the month, I am ordering some of the T9.???? Living in Florida, you can appreciate my environment
      down here.

      On 9/17/2013 11:58 AM, ewew921@... wrote:

      I use a couple of methods in my machinst tool box for rust prevention.

      #1 is the paper that comes with new guns or dial calipers. It's a brown stiff oily looking stuff that seems to stop rust before it starts. But it's scarce.

      #2 there are de-humidifier "tablets" that come in most vitamin bottles. I save these out and sprinkle them into my machinist tool box like they were moth balls or something.

      #3 plastic zip lock bags and lightly spray down with Liquid Wrench spray on penetrant.

      #4 DO NOT USE WD-40 ON ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP. iT ATTRACTS MOISTURE LIKE A MAGNET!

      I USED TO LIVE IN FLORIDA WHERE THE HUMIDITY IS VERY HIGH. ONE DAY I WAS CLEANING MY DRILL PRESS CHUCK WITH STEEL WOOL AND SCOTCH BRITE.

      i GOT OFF ALL THE SURFACE RUST DOWN TO SHINY BARE METAL.

      nOT KNOWING ABOUT WD-40, i SPRAYED IT DOWN UNTIL IT WAS WET WITH WD-40.

      NEXT DAY I CAME BACK AND THE CHUCK WAS BROWN WITH RUST AGAIN. !!!

      NO MORE WD-40 FOR RUST PREVENTION. (CONTAINS FISH OIL)

      tHERE IS ALSO BOESHIELD???? (VERY NICE) AND MP FROM AMSOIL. BOTH OF THESE ARE FINE PRODUCTS.

      tHE aMSOIL PRODUCT CALLED???? MP (mETAL PROTECTOR) IS LIKE A SPRAY ON COSMOLENE, SO IT ACTUALLY COATS THE METAL IN COSMOLENE.

      tHE BOESHIELD IS A THINNER VERSION WITH LESS BUILD UP. THEY USE IT ON AIRCRAFT PARTS THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO PROTECT FROM CORROSION.

      Earl White

      --
      Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
      P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
      (Hopkins Village) Belize
      011-501-503-7346 Belize
      011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
      or
      5204 Texas Highway 49 W
      Omaha, TX 75571-6474
      U.S.A.
      903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
      903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
      Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
      PG1915841
      Skype: v31joepalooka
      http://www.justanswer.com/lp-1eh8-tool-repair
      I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
      V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic