3182Flat or raked part off tools?

  • squidsrus85
    Jul 2 2:27 PM
      Hi All,

      Many years back I made a few reverse mounted part off tool holders for 1/2" x 3/32" HSS part off blades for the BD920 lathes.

      Which is the better idea for a small lathe, a flat (zero) back rake or the common 5deg.?

      The flat one is easier to set up after sharpening, but the raked one will probably cut better.

      I want to add one to a newer lathe and I only have raked ones left, so I guess I will start there. But, would love to hear suggestions.

      Thanks

      Dave
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic