2369Re: [mlathemods] Lathe chucks mounted on Morse taper?

  • Richard Garnish
    Oct 3, 2007
      A 2 1/2" chuck on a morse taper would probably work great, within the
      limits of the spindle taper accuracy -- don't assume it's concentric.
      My spindle had runout of about .002" on the taper, whereas the spindle
      flange and register (for normal chuck mounting) were spot-on. I skimmed
      the taper with a carbide-tipped boring bar and MT3 finishing reamer and
      now the runout is around .0002", much better.

      As for larger chucks, I'd worry about the extra overhang from such an
      arrangement. Since you'd need a drawbar to pull the taper into the
      spindle (and the accompanying heavy object to release it) I don't think
      it'd be any more convenient than just unbolting the chuck each time.

      Richard