1541Re: worn out bed

  • seikosman
    Mar 14, 2006
      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "johann_ohnesorg" <bigdukeone@...>
      wrote:
      >those are some good points, Johann; in searching other forums I've
      learned that grinding is the usual method, but the surface grinder to
      which I have access may not have a long enough bed; may have to try
      planing it; in reply to Norman, I haven't seen any reference to
      South Bend having hardended beds on their lathes in the 1930's and
      the various dents and dings on the ways from 70 years of use would
      certainly refute your contention

      Rick A.

      > Hy there,
      > Scraping off 0.013" on the whole length of the bed will drive you
      > nuts, try the planer, measure twice and cut once.
      >
      > Be careful with the holddowns, I once watched a guy shaping a small
      > lathe bed. He flipped it over on a pair of 1-2-3 blocks, cut the
      > stands to equal height with the shaper and then, he flipped it back
      > over again.
      > This makes setup easier. He used holddowns in the middle of the bed
      on
      > the cross braces (4 or 5 equally spread over the whole length) and
      > small jacks underneath to push the bed up again.
      > If this does not work (don´t hesitate, you got a few more cuts to
      get
      > it right...), junk the bed and buy a new one. Cut the 90° guide in
      the
      > same setup. Try to match the saddle by equal cuts to the left and
      > right of the bed. Don´t forget you have to shorten the cut by a
      factor
      > of 0,707 if you cut in a 45°angle. To see what you do, make a sketch
      > which is scale 10:1 and the try to draw and measure toolfeeds and
      > angles. Please do this in advance.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Johann

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic