Re: [mithras] Re: Bull's Leg

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2005
      Insult?  Or recognition that she needs help? ;-)

      Park

      dicconf <dicconf@...> wrote:
      In some translations it is not the bull's leg, but the bull's phallus that
      Gilgamesh throws at Innana -- a much more pointed insult to the goddess of
      fertility.  (And, I think, more apposite given Gilgamesh's recital of the
      nasty things She had done to her human and animal lovers.)  I wonder if
      there is really a difference in possible translations, or the references
      to "leg" were a bit of Bowdlerizing?

      -- Dick Eney