Professional religion weighs in

  • dicconf
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 5, 2005
      --------------------
      Vatican: Faithful Should Listen to Science --------------------

      By NICOLE WINFIELD
      Associated Press Writer

      November 4, 2005, 10:12 AM EST

      VATICAN CITY -- A Vatican cardinal said Thursday the faithful should listen to
      what secular modern science has to offer, warning that religion risks turning
      into "fundamentalism" if it ignores scientific reason.
      Cardinal Paul Poupard, who heads the Pontifical Council for Culture, made the
      comments at a news conference on a Vatican project to help end the "mutual
      prejudice" between religion and science that has long bedeviled the Roman
      Catholic Church and is part of the evolution debate in the United States.

      - - - - - - - - - -

      Of course, I suppose anything from the Vatican will only make him more
      upset...

      -- Dick Eney
    • Ang-EL
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 5, 2005
        Got that right Dick, oh by the way, the sky is not Blue, Sorreee!

        --- dicconf <dicconf@...> wrote:

        > --------------------
        > Vatican: Faithful Should Listen to Science --------------------
        >
        > By NICOLE WINFIELD
        > Associated Press Writer
        >
        > November 4, 2005, 10:12 AM EST
        >
        > VATICAN CITY -- A Vatican cardinal said Thursday the faithful should
        > listen to
        > what secular modern science has to offer, warning that religion risks
        > turning
        > into "fundamentalism" if it ignores scientific reason.
        > Cardinal Paul Poupard, who heads the Pontifical Council for Culture,
        > made the
        > comments at a news conference on a Vatican project to help end the
        > "mutual
        > prejudice" between religion and science that has long bedeviled the
        > Roman
        > Catholic Church and is part of the evolution debate in the United
        > States.
        >
        > - - - - - - - - - -
        >
        > Of course, I suppose anything from the Vatican will only make him
        > more
        > upset...
        >
        > -- Dick Eney

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Ang-EL
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 5, 2005
          Oh and by the way, "professional religion"?!? That sounds to me like,
          the problem.

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • walkyr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 5, 2005
            In a message dated 11/5/2005 11:04:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, psychic_servant@... writes:
            Oh and by the way, "professional religion"?!? That sounds to me like,
            the problem.
            In traditional usage there are only three professions:  medicine, law and clergy.  The rest, however they elevate themselves, are trades or crafts.

            "Faber est suae quisque fortunae."
          • William McReynolds
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2005
              Which one of these is the oldest? All the time I hear references to the
              "oldest profession"!
            • Ang-EL
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2005
                Then the "traditional" usage is incorrect. But then what else is new?
                Once again modern man's misnomering. And lieing to the people.
                Here gang is the correct form of the word (Non-traditional): a
                professional is any human being who takes their work (job), serious
                enough to do the very best they can at it (doing their job
                professionally). A human's profession is a human's work. The work that
                a person does to earn thier livelihood; is thier profession.
                Words are a matter of common sense; Not common usage.

                The 3 so called professions that You mentioned are the least respected
                professions on Earth. --- *Ang-EL*

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2005
                  A man after my own heart there Mr. McReynolds. You are a man of great
                  understanding! ---*Ang-EL*

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • walkyr@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 5, 2005
                    In a message dated 11/5/2005 3:27:28 PM Pacific Standard Time, psychic_servant@... writes:
                    The 3 so called professions that You mentioned are the least respected
                    professions on Earth. --- *Ang-EL*

                    Whether you respect them or not is of absolutely no value, because you are nothing but an internet troll.  The fact is that all three of the professions require formal training followed by a formal and public oath to practice.  Anyone who takes on such a task and completes it is worthy of respect.  Are you so quick to negate this because you were never able to do so yourself?  Why are you on this board?  You've added nothing to the discussion of Mithraism but wild speculation and nasty personal comments.  There are other boards where this is appreciated.  You've been personally rude to me repeatedly when earlier in the year I was in a situation where generator and satellite uplink time were extremely limited, and you repeatedly and deliberately used up bandwidth for your pathetic personal advertising.

                    I'm blocking your posts.  Perhaps others will do so as well.

                    "Faber est suae quisque fortunae."
                  • ishtarmuz6@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005

                      --- walkyr@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 11/5/2005 11:04:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                      > psychic_servant@... writes:
                      >
                      > Oh and  by the way, "professional religion"?!? That sounds to me
                      > like,
                      > the  problem.
                      >

                      > In traditional usage there are only three professions:   medicine,
                      > law and
                      > clergy.  The rest, however they elevate themselves, are  trades or
                      > crafts.

                      > "Faber est  suae quisque fortunae."

                      Everyone should note that these "professionals" are practices.  This is to clearly distinquish them from a sciece.  So the next time the Doctor wants to open you up make sure s/he is well practiced....in any event this is all off topic and should be ignored.

                      Dale West
                    • dicconf
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
                        On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, walkyr@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 11/5/2005 11:04:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                        > psychic_servant@... writes:
                        >
                        > Oh and by the way, "professional religion"?!? That sounds to me like,
                        > the problem.
                        >
                        > In traditional usage there are only three professions: medicine, law and
                        > clergy. The rest, however they elevate themselves, are trades or crafts.

                        Hm. "The oldest profession" is usually a reference to an activity which I
                        shan't mention in this respectable forum, and I think there is some
                        argument that shamanism is in point of fact the oldest profession. That
                        would give the Clergy the palm, though it usually involves Medicine as
                        well.

                        -- Dick Eney
                      • dicconf
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
                          On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Ang-EL wrote:

                          > Then the "traditional" usage is incorrect. But then what else is new?
                          > Once again modern man's misnomering. And lieing to the people.
                          > Here gang is the correct form of the word (Non-traditional): a
                          > professional is any human being who takes their work (job), serious
                          > enough to do the very best they can at it (doing their job
                          > professionally). A human's profession is a human's work. The work that
                          > a person does to earn thier livelihood; is thier profession.
                          > Words are a matter of common sense; Not common usage.

                          Words are a matter of common definition, which may be one of your
                          problems. A profession is a line of work which a person can pursue and
                          get support from others for, so that he/she need not use up _all_ his time
                          in getting something to eat or feed his family.

                          Amusing to see you declaring that traditional usages are incorrect after
                          your dissing modernity so drastically. C'mon, pick a side and settle down
                          to it!

                          -- Dick Eney
                        • dicconf
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
                            On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, ishtarmuz6@... wrote:

                            > Everyone should note that these "professionals" are practices. This is
                            > to clearly distinquish them from a science. So the next time the Doctor
                            > wants to open you up make sure s/he is well practiced...

                            ROTFLASC!

                            -- Dick Eney
                          • Park McKellop
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
                              The music I hear in the background is "The World Turned Upside Down". ;-)

                              Park