Mitchells in Ireland Scotland and Beyond!

  • Dave Sargent
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2001
      I (and 4000 others we know of) am descended from William Mitchell and
      Jane Stuart believed to have married shortly before 1800. I am looking
      for William and Jane's Parents, siblings, and four of their seven
      children John Mitchell, Alexander Mitchell, Robert Mitchell, Sarah
      Mitchell (and descendants). The other three children (Samuel, Jane,
      William) immigrated to Canada circa 1840 and we know where they and
      4,000 (so far identified) descendants are.

      William senior moved between Scotland and Ireland, and we believe
      married Jane Stuart in Cavan County Ireland.

      Family mythology: The Mitchell's I seek had lands near the Stuarts in
      Scotland, the Stuarts were exiled/forced out to Ireland and it is
      believed the Mitchells fared a bit better but frequented Ireland for
      hunting and visiting. William married Jane and they went to Scotland
      for a while so some of the children may have been born there, but they
      ended up back in Cavan County Ireland.

      Ideas? It is believed at least one of the four children went to Aus/NZ.
      I have no birth or death dates on these folks, but will be venturing to
      get better data from within the family as well.

      Sorry if you have seen this post in other areas before, knocking on many
      doors.
    • Sandra Devlin
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2001
        This is probably not relevant -- and I know nothing more about this
        couple, other than I am trying to see if they are related to our DEVLIN
        family.

        William DEVLIN (farmer) and Martha MITCHEL of Dunham, Quebec baptized
        baby daughter Martha in Anglican Church, St. Armand East, Mississiquoi
        County, Quebec, Canada -- Baby Martha born Nov 30, 1831, baptized Jan
        22, 1832 by James Reid (clergy) and witnessed by Asa and Florida
        Westover. Quebec national archives microfilm 124.4

        This is the only record of this couple ever found in Quebec. Before
        1851 (census) they had obviously moved on.

        If this helps.

        Sandra Devlin
        in Canada
      • Dave Sargent
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2001
          Hi Sandra

          Our crew, the ones we know of, arrived in about 1840. If this is any help in
          your quest, ours settled in the Gatineau Valley of Quebec, as the lands in
          Ontario and Manitoba and west opened up they moved westward which was quite
          common, a lot of Quebecers seemed to end up in Saskatchewan at least for a
          short while.

          Sandra Devlin wrote:

          > This is probably not relevant -- and I know nothing more about this
          > couple, other than I am trying to see if they are related to our DEVLIN
          > family.
          >
          > William DEVLIN (farmer) and Martha MITCHEL of Dunham, Quebec baptized
          > baby daughter Martha in Anglican Church, St. Armand East, Mississiquoi
          > County, Quebec, Canada -- Baby Martha born Nov 30, 1831, baptized Jan
          > 22, 1832 by James Reid (clergy) and witnessed by Asa and Florida
          > Westover. Quebec national archives microfilm 124.4
          >
          > This is the only record of this couple ever found in Quebec. Before
          > 1851 (census) they had obviously moved on.
          >
          > If this helps.
          >
          > Sandra Devlin
          > in Canada

        • Sandra Devlin
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 29, 2001
            Dave:

            Again, probably not linked, but a family of DEVLINs for whom I have never found
            a connection -- also settled in the Gatineau Valley --

            Coincidence? Probably.

            SD