Re: [mh] Misterhouse 3.0 questions

  • Carl McGrath
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
      Thanks jared.
      Q1: Understand, I vaguely recall discussion on the HOPS topic way back
      as well.
      I'll look for another transmission quality metric; it has not been a big
      issue for me.

      Q2: I believe I am running Master for Release 3.0. I have been on SVN
      for a long time, still getting to understand git.
      Either it is not really ready for prime time, or I "git-ed" the wrong build.
      The contents of ../Misterhouse/VERSION is 3.0
      You confirm for me that it should be working, thanks. What version are
      you running?

      GD: I used to run SVN version with GD=1 and Perl-GD installed; it seemed
      to work OK
      My understanding was that enabling GD made for better looking graphics
      on the Web interface.
      I'll do some additional digging, I am up and running with GD=0 but get
      error (and mh crash) with GD=1 at the moment.

      On 08/26/2013 01:48 PM, jared wrote:
      > Here are some possible answers to your questions. I am by no means a MH
      > expert, so anyone, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any
      > account.
      >
      > Q1: New code has been added in MH v3 to allow for the PLM to transmit
      > commands with just enough hops to reach the remote device, thereby reducing
      > the amount of Insteon traffic on the network each time that a command is
      > sent. In the old design, all commands were always sent with the max hops
      > setting which could cause rebroadcast storms until the TTL expired on each
      > packet. Therefore, in v3, seeing "Hops left = 0" is a good thing. In lieu
      > of hop counts, look for retransmissions as a sign of network issues.
      >
      > Q2: Which version of MH are you running? If it is the "Stable" branch, you
      > may be missing some of the newest commits which have fixed this issue. On
      > the version I am currently running, I see increments of 10% for each
      > LampLinc from 10% to 80%. Try switching to the "Master" branch, waiting for
      > the next release, or cherry-picking the following commits to restore this
      > functionality:
      >
      > https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/pull/242
      > <https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/pull/242>
      > https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/pull/231
      > <https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/pull/231>
      > https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/issues/212
      > <https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/issues/212>
      >
      > As far as the GD parameter goes, I'm afraid I have no input here. I've
      > never had to change this setting and have never seen any errors related to
      > GD in the version of Perl I am running. I am using the latest version of
      > Ubuntu Server (Raring 13.04) with the standard recommended Perl modules as
      > per the MH Ubuntu install guide
      > <http://misterhouse.wikispaces.com/UbuntuInstall> .
      >

      > --

    • jared
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
        cmcgrath5035 wrote
        > Q2: I believe I am running Master for Release 3.0. I have been on SVN
        > for a long time, still getting to understand git.
        > Either it is not really ready for prime time, or I "git-ed" the wrong
        > build.
        > The contents of ../Misterhouse/VERSION is 3.0
        > You confirm for me that it should be working, thanks. What version are
        > you running?

        Q2: I am running Version 3.0, but with newer pull requests that have not
        been compiled into a new version yet. I understand about git, it can take a
        while to learn and get used to. When was the last time that you synced to
        master? First do this to make sure that /locally/ you are on the master
        branch:

        *cd /usr/local/bin/misterhouse/mh
        git branch -va*

        Sample Output:
        /* master e87291d Merge pull request #246
        from krkeegan/insteon_diags_fix
        remotes/origin/master e87291d Merge pull request #246
        from krkeegan/insteon_diags_fix
        remotes/origin/stable cc7c439 Modified the contents of
        the VERSION file in preparation of /

        As shown above, you should see an asterisk next to your current local branch
        and you should also see the remote linked branches. If you are not locally
        on the master branch, do *git checkout master*. If you don't see the
        remotes, you will need to add the upstream (*git remote add upstream
        https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse.git*, more info here
        <http://misterhouse.10964.n7.nabble.com/git-synchronizing-with-hollie-td11260.html>
        ).

        Once you have confirmed all of the above, synchronize with the master
        branch. First, stop MisterHouse, then do the following:
        *cd /usr/local/bin/misterhouse/mh
        sudo git fetch upstream
        sudo git merge upstream/master
        sudo git push
        *

        This will download the latest changes to the master branch, merge them with
        your local "master" branch, then push the changes to "your" master branch up
        to your git account. *IMPORTANT NOTE:* If you haven't moved your private
        files out of the MisterHouse working directories, any changes that you have
        made will probably be overwritten! Also, you may need to change some of the
        above commands to suit your environment, for example, if you installed MH in
        a different location than I did.

        You can now restart MisterHouse and it will be running with the latest
        changes.

        cmcgrath5035 wrote
        > GD: I used to run SVN version with GD=1 and Perl-GD installed; it seemed
        > to work OK
        > My understanding was that enabling GD made for better looking graphics
        > on the Web interface.
        > I'll do some additional digging, I am up and running with GD=0 but get
        > error (and mh crash) with GD=1 at the moment.

        GD is what is used to generate those on-the-fly image buttons for custom
        devices. All of the static images in the web interface remain the same. To
        see if GD is working, go to the "Lights/Appliances" page and see if there
        are any links that are text-only (you may need to add in some custom group
        or device names to see this work). If there are text-only links and not all
        images for buttons, GD is not working. In the MH parameters, I believe the
        GD option is actually set in lowercase as "gd" under the "Tk" subcategory if
        you use the web interface to adjust parameters. If it is not working and
        giving you an error, either GD is not installed or it is the incorrect
        version for MisterHouse compatibility.

        What version of Linux did you say you were running? Was it on an embedded
        platform? In Ubuntu, I have never had any issues after installing it as
        shown in the Ubuntu Install Instructions
        <http://misterhouse.wikispaces.com/Install+Packages> .

      • Carl McGrath
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
          Thanks, jared, for the quick tutorial.

          I was on stable, got sort of wound around the axel so deleted my Misterhouse folder and ran git again to download stable, following a bit more carefully the step by step HERE. I then did a git checkout master and git branch -va now says I am on master.
          I did the "git fetch upstream" and "git merge upstream/master" which returned the response "Already up-to-date.".

          git push returned a bunch of errors, I think I see why - I bet you have a github account and are developing?

          I am going to experiment a bit with what I now believe may be up to date master to see if I see differences, then I'll be back.

          I am running on an embedded platform with a customized kernel.(Asus router RT-N16 running DD-WRT and Optware)
          I'll tackle GD (gd) later. It could be that my Perl-GD package will work once I am running master.

          Thanks for all the hints and direction

          cmcgrath5035 wrote

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
            Ok, I learned a bit more git, now have the Master Branch of MH3.0 running and I have my LampLink 20%-80% options going.

            Following THIS guide,
            I did this:
            git clone git://github.com/hollie/misterhouse.git
            git checkout -b master origin/master.

            So, another git question that I have not yet found an answer for:
            It is my understanding that the Master branch is the primary development branch that changes from time to time as new or modified code is pulled in by the git-master.
            Should I decide to sync up with those changes, what git command do I issue to update my local directory?
            Is there some sort of rolling release indicator or update log to watch to see what activity has taken place?

            Git is like PERL, a bit quirky but very powerful.
            It certainly gets the job done quickly once you submit the right commands!

            Thanks for all the help.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
              And now with MH 3.0 Master Branch running, I see that "log all device
              ALDB status" in the PLM menu is exactly what I was looking for, and more so.
              I can hardly wait to move all 28 of my Insteon devices over to this new
              platform to see what a real network looks like.

              Not so lucky on the GD front, setting gd=1 in the private.ini file still
              results in mh crash with this error
              /usr/bin/perl: can't resolve symbol 'PerlIO_findFILE'
              I am looking for a way to update my Perl-GD package

              On 08/27/2013 09:59 AM, Carl McGrath wrote:
              > Q1: Understand, I vaguely recall discussion on the HOPS topic way back
              > as well.
              > I'll look for another transmission quality metric; it has not been a big
              > issue for me.

            • Lieven Hollevoet
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 28, 2013
                Hello Carl,

                Op 28-aug.-2013, om 02:25 heeft Carl McGrath <cmcgrath5035@...> het volgende geschreven:

                > Ok, I learned a bit more git, now have the Master Branch of MH3.0 running and I have my LampLink 20%-80% options going.
                >
                > Following THIS guide,
                > I did this:
                > git clone git://github.com/hollie/misterhouse.git
                > git checkout -b master origin/master.
                >
                > So, another git question that I have not yet found an answer for:
                > It is my understanding that the Master branch is the primary development branch that changes from time to time as new or modified code is pulled in by the git-master.
                > Should I decide to sync up with those changes, what git command do I issue to update my local directory?

                That would be as easy as doing 'git pull'.

                > Is there some sort of rolling release indicator or update log to watch to see what activity has taken place?

                The commitlog for MisterHouse is here:
                https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/commits/master

                Alternatively, you can execute a 'git fetch' command in your clone (= the files you got from git) and then a 'git status' will tell you how much commits you're behind the origin/master branch.

                Kind regards,
                Lieven.

              • jared
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 28, 2013
                  cmcgrath5035 wrote
                  > git push returned a bunch of errors, I think I see why - I bet you have
                  > a github account and are developing?

                  Yes, I have a developer's account, though I have not made any pull requests
                  yet to add any new features. Sorry, I should have mentioned that if you do
                  not have a Git account, this step is unnecessary. Also saw that you had
                  accidentally submitted a pull request--the pull request on the web-side of
                  git is only used when you are requesting changes to the public MisterHouse
                  code, for example, to fix bugs or add new features.

                  cmcgrath5035 wrote
                  > I am running on an embedded platform with a customized kernel.(Asus
                  > router RT-N16 running DD-WRT and Optware)
                  > I'll tackle GD (gd) later.

                  Are you able to run a package manager program such as 'apt' or 'aptitude' on
                  the embedded platform's version of Linux? I am assuming that you've already
                  tried something akin to "sudo aptitude install libgd-gd2-perl
                  libgd-text-perl" as per these instructions
                  <http://misterhouse.wikispaces.com/Embedded> . If so did it give any
                  errors that may say why GD could not be installed?

                  cmcgrath5035 wrote
                  > It could be that my Perl-GD package will work once I am running master.

                  As you have probably already seen since you are now on master, I doubt that
                  the master branch will fix the problem you are seeing. I do not remember
                  any recent pull requests that have changed anything related to the GD code
                  from Version 3.0 to now.

                  cmcgrath5035 wrote
                  > So, another git question that I have not yet found an answer for:
                  > It is my understanding that the Master branch is the primary development
                  > branch that changes from time to time as new or modified code is pulled in
                  > by the git-master.
                  > Should I decide to sync up with those changes, what git command do I issue
                  > to update my local directory?
                  > Is there some sort of rolling release indicator or update log to watch to
                  > see what activity has taken place?

                  Lieven has already sent you a response for this, but I wanted to say that I
                  have not tried "git pull." I will do that next time to see how it works for
                  me. Like I had stated in an earlier post, I have always done the following
                  that I found from another git tutorial website:

                  *sudo git fetch upstream
                  sudo git merge upstream/master*

                  Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough with git to know exactly what the
                  difference between these two methods is... Perhaps someone could better
                  explain it to me as well :)

                  cmcgrath5035 wrote
                  > And now with MH 3.0 Master Branch running, I see that "log all device
                  > ALDB status" in the PLM menu is exactly what I was looking for, and more
                  > so.
                  > I can hardly wait to move all 28 of my Insteon devices over to this new
                  > platform to see what a real network looks like.

                  Glad to see that you are up and running with the new code! All of the
                  latest changes have really improved MisterHouse--I am so glad to see such
                  active development again!

                • Lieven Hollevoet
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 28, 2013
                    Op 29-aug.-2013, om 01:03 heeft jared <Jared.Fernandez@...> het volgende geschreven:

                    > [..]
                    >
                    > cmcgrath5035 wrote
                    >> So, another git question that I have not yet found an answer for:
                    >> It is my understanding that the Master branch is the primary development
                    >> branch that changes from time to time as new or modified code is pulled in
                    >> by the git-master.
                    >> Should I decide to sync up with those changes, what git command do I issue
                    >> to update my local directory?
                    >> Is there some sort of rolling release indicator or update log to watch to
                    >> see what activity has taken place?
                    >
                    > Lieven has already sent you a response for this, but I wanted to say that I
                    > have not tried "git pull." I will do that next time to see how it works for
                    > me. Like I had stated in an earlier post, I have always done the following
                    > that I found from another git tutorial website:
                    >
                    > *sudo git fetch upstream
                    > sudo git merge upstream/master*
                    >
                    > Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough with git to know exactly what the
                    > difference between these two methods is... Perhaps someone could better
                    > explain it to me as well :)

                    `git pull` combines `git fetch` and `git merge` in a single command.

                    If you want to check before merging the changes in your clone then you better execute the two separate commands (allowing you to examine the results of the `fetch` before `merging`). If you just want to get up to date with the latest results from the remote repo then you can do that easily in one command by performing a `pull`.

                    Kind regards,
                    Lieven.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30, 2013
                      Lieven Hollevoet wrote
                      > `git pull` combines `git fetch` and `git merge` in a single command.

                      Thanks for the clarification--I will start using 'git pull' from now on!

                    • Carl McGrath
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31, 2013
                        Jared
                        Thanks again for your suggestions. Between you and Lieven I know enough
                        git to get by on and can learn from here.

                        My embedded system uses the ipkg package manager, which is customized
                        for small devices and cli only.
                        It connects to a web based repository of packages that have been built
                        (cross-compiled) for mipsel machines, in my case.
                        ipkg is similar to apt-get in Debian world, although the variety of
                        packages available in the pre-built repository are much older and not
                        nearly as complete.

                        I can run CPAN on the platform, but have so far been unable to do an
                        upgrade to the latest perl-GD package (compiler issues).

                        Still digging, although running with gd off (gd=0) so far provides the
                        real functionality I need.

                      • Carl McGrath
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 1, 2013
                          To debug my gd=1 problem, I copied my Misterhouse_3.0 folders to another
                          embedded platform (an NSLU2) that is running Debian 7.
                          Perl on this platform is version 5.14.
                          As expected, mh3.0 with gd=1 runs on this platform.

                          Watching the mh console while navigating the web interface, I saw
                          messages like
                          "Writing image to cache:
                          /home/carl/Misterhouse_3.0/cjm_local/data/cache/Insteon.jpg" as GD did
                          it's thing creating an on-the-fly icon.

                          That stimulated a question:
                          Does anyone know where GD does its work, e.g. /tmp or similar scratch
                          work area?
                          I am wondering if my error message was caused by GD not having access to
                          a default workspace somewhere due to permissions issues or a folder that
                          does not exist in my configuration.