Re: [mh] MisterHouse Version 3.0

  • Marc MERLIN
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 14, 2013
      While you are on vacation, I just got back to see this.

      I wanted to give Michael, you, and others who helped, starting with Lieven
      for the git work, a bit thank you and kudos for making this happen.

      Marc

      --
      "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" -
      A.S.R.

    • Vargster
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 18, 2013
        Can someone build a zip file of v3.0 that we can put on the MisterHouse.net website, like was done for v2.200?

        Lee

        On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Marc MERLIN <marc_mh@...> wrote:
        While you are on vacation, I just got back to see this.

        I wanted to give Michael, you, and others who helped, starting with Lieven
        for the git work, a bit thank you and kudos for making this happen.

        Marc

        On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Kevin Robert Keegan <kevin@...>wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > The stable branch of the MisterHouse git repo has been updated to v3.0.
        >
        > If you want to know what changed, the changelog is here:
        > https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Changelog#v30-20130620
        >
        > If you are running stable already then updating to this new version is as
        > easy as running 'git pull'.
        >
        > A big thanks to everyone for keeping the awesome project alive! Beyond the
        > code, there is a lot of work that goes into this project including bug
        > reporting, patch testing, and documentation writing.  MisterHouse has been
        > and always continue to be a team effort.
        >
        > - The MH Team
        >
        > p.s. As luck would have it I am on vacation the next two weeks, so I
        > probably won't respond to mailing list questions until I get back.

        --
        "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" -
        A.S.R.
                                              .... what McDonalds is to gourmet
        cooking
        Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

      • Lieven Hollevoet
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 18, 2013
          Hi Lee,

          as with every stable release of MisterHouse we release through github the zipfile is automatically built:

          This link never changes and always gives you the latest MisterHouse version zipfile.

          Kind regards,
           Lieven.

          On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Vargster <vargster@...> wrote:
          Can someone build a zip file of v3.0 that we can put on the MisterHouse.net website, like was done for v2.200?

          Lee

          On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Marc MERLIN <marc_mh@...> wrote:
          While you are on vacation, I just got back to see this.

          I wanted to give Michael, you, and others who helped, starting with Lieven
          for the git work, a bit thank you and kudos for making this happen.

          Marc

          On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Kevin Robert Keegan <kevin@...>wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > The stable branch of the MisterHouse git repo has been updated to v3.0.
          >
          > If you want to know what changed, the changelog is here:
          > https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Changelog#v30-20130620
          >
          > If you are running stable already then updating to this new version is as
          > easy as running 'git pull'.
          >
          > A big thanks to everyone for keeping the awesome project alive! Beyond the
          > code, there is a lot of work that goes into this project including bug
          > reporting, patch testing, and documentation writing.  MisterHouse has been
          > and always continue to be a team effort.
          >
          > - The MH Team
          >
          > p.s. As luck would have it I am on vacation the next two weeks, so I
          > probably won't respond to mailing list questions until I get back.

          --
          "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" -
          A.S.R.
                                                .... what McDonalds is to gourmet
          cooking
          Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

        • Michael Stovenour
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 18, 2013

            Lieven,

            Any comments on my previous email with respect to documentation around how we tag / release code?  I volunteered to update this page so it points to something on GitHub, but given that the existing page is tied to version checking automation I need to first find a replacement version check procedure.  Since you’ve taken the lead in deciding how release management should be done; I, as a developer, would like a written understanding of how I can write code that relies on your process.

            Now, on the other hand, if the group thinks automating the version check is a useless feature; I’ll be happy to delete the file from source control and this whole thing with be a moot point.

            Sincerely,

            Michael

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 18, 2013
              Hi Michael,

              yes, documenting the release process of MisterHouse on github is still on my todo list. Summer pulled me from behind my computer last weekend :-)

              I'll update you before the end of this weekend.

              Kind regards,
               Lieven.

                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 18, 2013
                  Hi Michael,

                  first of all I have documented the process on how to create a new stable release here: https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Release-process-of-a-new-stable-release

                  Secondly, I propose the following 'simple' numbering scheme: we're now at 3.0. If we deem it useful to make a new stable release that contains minor changes/fixes/additions we up the minor version number, however we don't pass 9 on minor version numbers as this is confusing for users (is 3.101 newer than 3.2?).

                  Of course if we think it is interesting to have a major version increment, e.g. when we add this fully AJAX-based dynamic web 3.0 web interface (theoretical example of course :-), we up the version to 4.0. This can happen before we end up with 3.9 depending on what we as developers decide to be the best solution.

                  Now on the automatic version check you asked about. If we can agree that we call the tag of the stable releases in the repo to be in the format of
                  v<major>.<minor>
                  then we should be able to parse the latest release to be the top-most release on the JSON page you linked to.

                  I don't think we will ever put tags on non-stable releases (those developments go into branches but not in a tag) so we should be able to safely say that the topmost tag in the JSON output is the most recent release.

                  Kind regards,
                  Lieven.

                  Op 18-jul.-2013, om 17:44 heeft "Michael Stovenour" <michael@...> het volgende geschreven:

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 18, 2013
                    On July 18, 2013 3:39 PM Lieven wrote:

                    > first of all I have documented the process on how to create a new stable release here:
                    > https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Release-process-of-a-new-stable-release

                    Thanks Lieven. My OCD
                    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder) is settling down now
                    :)

                    Just two comments:
                    Did you mean to leave this paragraph? It seems like you are missing the content of the
                    VERSION file.
                    Then, update the version number in the VERSION file (should contain .).
                    The "should contain" part seems to be missing.

                    Do you mind if I add some steps to:
                    Document how to update the official user documentation
                    Copy the stable zip file to various yet to be determined locations (maybe just
                    sourceforge)
                    Notify various forums, mail lists, etc. of the new release

                    > Secondly, I propose the following 'simple' numbering scheme: we're now at 3.0. If we
                    > deem it useful to make a new stable release that contains minor changes/fixes/additions
                    > we up the minor version number, however we don't pass 9 on minor version numbers as this
                    > is confusing for users (is 3.101 newer than 3.2?).
                    >
                    > Of course if we think it is interesting to have a major version increment, e.g. when we
                    > add this fully AJAX-based dynamic web 3.0 web interface (theoretical example of course
                    > :-), we up the version to 4.0. This can happen before we end up with 3.9 depending on
                    > what we as developers decide to be the best solution.
                    >
                    > Now on the automatic version check you asked about. If we can agree that we call the tag
                    > of the stable releases in the repo to be in the format of
                    > v<major>.<minor>
                    > then we should be able to parse the latest release to be the top-most release on the
                    > JSON page you linked to.
                    >
                    > I don't think we will ever put tags on non-stable releases (those developments go into
                    > branches but not in a tag) so we should be able to safely say that the topmost tag in
                    > the JSON output is the most recent release.

                    I like it. I can modify the version check to look for the "first" (i.e. top most) tag
                    that matches the pattern /v\d+\.\d+/. That should cover us if someone creates a tag for a
                    different use.

                    Do you mind if I add the text above to a wiki page?

                    Sincerely,
                    Michael

                  • Lieven Hollevoet
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 18, 2013
                      Hi Michael,

                      On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Michael Stovenour <michael@...> wrote:

                      On July 18, 2013 3:39 PM Lieven wrote:

                      > first of all I have documented the process on how to create a new stable release here:
                      > https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Release-process-of-a-new-stable-release

                      Thanks Lieven.  My OCD
                      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder) is settling down now
                      :)

                      Well, glad I was able to help here :)

                      Just two comments:
                      Did you mean to leave this paragraph?  It seems like you are missing the content of the
                      VERSION file.
                              Then, update the version number in the VERSION file (should contain .).
                      The "should contain" part seems to be missing.

                      Hmmm, it contained <major>.<minor> but the characters between the brackets got eaten up by the wiki formatting. Fixed it.

                      Do you mind if I add some steps to:
                              Document how to update the official user documentation
                              Copy the stable zip file to various yet to be determined locations (maybe just
                      sourceforge)
                              Notify various forums, mail lists, etc. of the new release
                      I never have a problem with people adding documentation :)
                      Please go ahead, I already added a link to existing documentation on how to contribute in the text you added.

                      > Secondly, I propose the following 'simple' numbering scheme: we're now at 3.0. If we
                      > deem it useful to make a new stable release that contains minor changes/fixes/additions
                      > we up the minor version number, however we don't pass 9 on minor version numbers as this
                      > is confusing for users (is 3.101 newer than 3.2?).
                      >
                      > Of course if we think it is interesting to have a major version increment, e.g. when we
                      > add this fully AJAX-based dynamic web 3.0 web interface (theoretical example of course
                      > :-), we up the version to 4.0. This can happen before we end up with 3.9 depending on
                      > what we as developers decide to be the best solution.
                      >
                      > Now on the automatic version check you asked about. If we can agree that we call the tag
                      > of the stable releases in the repo to be in the format of
                      > v<major>.<minor>
                      > then we should be able to parse the latest release to be the top-most release on the
                      > JSON page you linked to.
                      >
                      > I don't think we will ever put tags on non-stable releases (those developments go into
                      > branches but not in a tag) so we should be able to safely say that the topmost tag in
                      > the JSON output is the most recent release.

                      I like it.  I can modify the version check to look for the "first" (i.e. top most) tag
                      that matches the pattern /v\d+\.\d+/.  That should cover us if someone creates a tag for a
                      different use.

                      Yes, that regexp was what I had in mind too!

                      Do you mind if I add the text above to a wiki page?

                      Not at all. Please go ahead.

                      Kind regards,
                       Lieven.

                    • Carl McGrath
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 22 3:17 PM
                        Sometimes things just work too well, my MH system has just kept on ticking for almost three years now, with just an annual reboot, and that for no particular reason.
                        I just had my first Insteon device failure in three years, and from sampling the amazing level of activity here on the mailing list know that new Insteon devices are likely to be incompatible with my current system. I used my last spare, so time to get ready. I also want to dabble with some of the new features.

                        Where is now the best place to reengage?
                        Read the 1300 emails I am behind, or some updated Wiki pages?
                        Suggestions welcome!
                        And thanks for all the great work and mailing list dialog.

                        FYI, I live in South Florida and summertime used to kill two or three Insteon devices a year.
                        We get a lot of lightning and surge activity. I tried add-on surge protectors(to my main panel) and the recent surge protectors that replace 220V breakers IN the panel with only limited success. Finally, I had our Power company install a surge protector that sits right behind the meter in the outdoor socket, HERE is a URL. It has worked amazingly well. If you have such issues, you might pursue with your power provider.