Re: [mh] MisterHouse Version 3.0

  • Michael Stovenour
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 7 8:59 AM
      On July 6, 2013 6:24 PM H Plato wrote:
      > So, stupid question. I'm a long time svn user, and still not that familiar with the git
      > approach. I have a git repository now, which a bunch of custom files that are unique to
      > my setup. I tried to pull down the 3.0 files:
      >
      > I changed into the directory that I clones MH, and tried to pull it down (I'm guessing
      > that's similar to the svn update I used to run). How can I keep local files, yet easily
      > bring down the master improvements. I'm looking to migrate all my X10 to Insteon, so I'd
      > like to get with the current development platform.

      There are probably as many ways to keep locally unique changes as there are developers
      using Git. I personally keep my "master" merged with hollie/misterhouse/master so the two
      are identical. I then have a separate "running" branch where I maintain my own unique mix
      of local and upstream changes. To update my running branch with changes to
      hollie/misterhouse, I pull upstream on my master branch then I merge from master into
      running. From what I've read there are easier and harder ways to manage local changes and
      it all depends upon your goals.

      That's all easy enough if you are starting with a point where master and running are the
      same, then applying unique changes to running. In your case you are starting with changes
      that are not included in any Git controlled branch and are based on a common ancestor
      many/many commits back. Your initial challenge is to merge those uncontrolled changes
      into a current Git branch (e.g. running).

      This will require that you identify all of "your" changes. "Your" changes are the bits of
      code that are different between your local files and the last SVN copy your files were
      based on; this has little relation to the current Git repository. When I first switched
      to Git, I:
      1. Checked out a clean SVN copy into a new directory that was as close as possible to my
      local files
      2. Copied all my files over the SVN directory path
      3. Used svn diff to find all my changes against SVN
      4. Manually applied my changes to my Git "running" branch with an editor

      Now that I know Git a little better I would be tempted to do this again by creating a new,
      separate Git repository on my local system to automate the process. It might go something
      like this: Import the SVN checkout into the new Git repository; copy my files over the
      new Git repository; use Git tools to diff, stage, commit just the changes I wanted to
      keep; cherry-pick the changes using SHAs into my running branch of hollie/misterhouse; fix
      each merge issue.

      Sincerely,
      Michael

    • H Plato
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 7 9:15 AM
        I think I know all my locally changed files, I'm just trying to find
        the git analogue to 'svn update'. Having two local copies seems rather
        inefficient, and potentially confusing.

        I'd like to pull down the new files, while understanding any updates
        to files i've modified 'svn diff', and to understand better why the
        files were updated in the repository 'svn log'.

        This used to be a pretty simple and easy process in the svn world,
        just trying to understand the git process. Hopefully this process can
        be captured in the mailing list to provide guidance to other svn folks
        looking to migrate.

        Sent from my mobile device.

        On 2013-07-07, at 9:59 AM, Michael Stovenour <michael@...> wrote:

        > On July 6, 2013 6:24 PM H Plato wrote:
        >> So, stupid question. I'm a long time svn user, and still not that familiar with the git
        >> approach. I have a git repository now, which a bunch of custom files that are unique to
        >> my setup. I tried to pull down the 3.0 files:
        >>
        >> I changed into the directory that I clones MH, and tried to pull it down (I'm guessing
        >> that's similar to the svn update I used to run). How can I keep local files, yet easily
        >> bring down the master improvements. I'm looking to migrate all my X10 to Insteon, so I'd
        >> like to get with the current development platform.
        >
        > There are probably as many ways to keep locally unique changes as there are developers
        > using Git. I personally keep my "master" merged with hollie/misterhouse/master so the two
        > are identical. I then have a separate "running" branch where I maintain my own unique mix
        > of local and upstream changes. To update my running branch with changes to
        > hollie/misterhouse, I pull upstream on my master branch then I merge from master into
        > running. From what I've read there are easier and harder ways to manage local changes and
        > it all depends upon your goals.
        >
        > That's all easy enough if you are starting with a point where master and running are the
        > same, then applying unique changes to running. In your case you are starting with changes
        > that are not included in any Git controlled branch and are based on a common ancestor
        > many/many commits back. Your initial challenge is to merge those uncontrolled changes
        > into a current Git branch (e.g. running).
        >
        > This will require that you identify all of "your" changes. "Your" changes are the bits of
        > code that are different between your local files and the last SVN copy your files were
        > based on; this has little relation to the current Git repository. When I first switched
        > to Git, I:
        > 1. Checked out a clean SVN copy into a new directory that was as close as possible to my
        > local files
        > 2. Copied all my files over the SVN directory path
        > 3. Used svn diff to find all my changes against SVN
        > 4. Manually applied my changes to my Git "running" branch with an editor
        >
        > Now that I know Git a little better I would be tempted to do this again by creating a new,
        > separate Git repository on my local system to automate the process. It might go something
        > like this: Import the SVN checkout into the new Git repository; copy my files over the
        > new Git repository; use Git tools to diff, stage, commit just the changes I wanted to
        > keep; cherry-pick the changes using SHAs into my running branch of hollie/misterhouse; fix
        > each merge issue.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Michael

      • Eloy Paris
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 7 10:08 AM
          Hello,

          On 07/07/2013 11:59 AM, Michael Stovenour wrote:

          > On July 6, 2013 6:24 PM H Plato wrote:
          >> So, stupid question. I'm a long time svn user, and still not that familiar with the git
          >> approach. I have a git repository now, which a bunch of custom files that are unique to
          >> my setup. I tried to pull down the 3.0 files:
          >>
          >> I changed into the directory that I clones MH, and tried to pull it down (I'm guessing
          >> that's similar to the svn update I used to run). How can I keep local files, yet easily
          >> bring down the master improvements. I'm looking to migrate all my X10 to Insteon, so I'd
          >> like to get with the current development platform.
          >
          > There are probably as many ways to keep locally unique changes as there are developers
          > using Git. I personally keep my "master" merged with hollie/misterhouse/master so the two
          > are identical. I then have a separate "running" branch where I maintain my own unique mix
          > of local and upstream changes. To update my running branch with changes to
          > hollie/misterhouse, I pull upstream on my master branch then I merge from master into
          > running. From what I've read there are easier and harder ways to manage local changes and
          > it all depends upon your goals.
          >
          > That's all easy enough if you are starting with a point where master and running are the
          > same, then applying unique changes to running. In your case you are starting with changes
          > that are not included in any Git controlled branch and are based on a common ancestor
          > many/many commits back. Your initial challenge is to merge those uncontrolled changes
          > into a current Git branch (e.g. running).
          >
          > This will require that you identify all of "your" changes. "Your" changes are the bits of
          > code that are different between your local files and the last SVN copy your files were
          > based on; this has little relation to the current Git repository. When I first switched
          > to Git, I:
          > 1. Checked out a clean SVN copy into a new directory that was as close as possible to my
          > local files
          > 2. Copied all my files over the SVN directory path
          > 3. Used svn diff to find all my changes against SVN
          > 4. Manually applied my changes to my Git "running" branch with an editor
          >
          > Now that I know Git a little better I would be tempted to do this again by creating a new,
          > separate Git repository on my local system to automate the process. It might go something
          > like this: Import the SVN checkout into the new Git repository; copy my files over the
          > new Git repository; use Git tools to diff, stage, commit just the changes I wanted to
          > keep; cherry-pick the changes using SHAs into my running branch of hollie/misterhouse; fix
          > each merge issue.

          Good stuff.

          I'd venture to say that a very simplistic, but I think workable,
          approach to keeping local changes to some parts of the MisterHouse code,
          is to clone the official Git repository and then incorporate one's
          changes in the cloned repository. No branches or anything more
          "sophisticated".

          Running "git status" would allow one to see what files have been
          modified locally, and running "git diff" would allow one to see the
          exact changes.

          Running "git pull" would bring in new changes in the master repo. Any
          conflicts would be resolved then by editing the local files.

          Of course, I'd advice to keep local changes to a minimum by not
          modifying files that should be modified elsewhere (like web pages), and
          by contributing any local changes so they can be merged into the
          official repository.

          My MH source code tree that I use in production in my house is
          read-only. I believe there's documentation in the wiki on how to do
          this. How to do customization of the web interface without touching
          files in the original distribution is documented here:

          https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/ia5-web-interface-customization

          Cheers,

          Eloy Paris.-

        • H Plato
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 9 9:11 PM
            Thanks Eloy,

            I've ordered an Insteon PLM, so I'm committed to this git thing.

            I've done an SVN diff, and most of the files are changed web files, so I'll separate those out as per the wiki.

            I have a few custom lib files, I'll do individual diffs to see why I made those changes.

            So, I should be able to do ;

            - a git clone to set up my master local repository.
            - review my changed files from svn, and if I want to keep my local changes, I just copy them over into the git repository.
            - if these could add some value, then instead of copying them over, edit the local git file for a possible commit. (ie I've added some code that parses the syslog for callerid announcements for voip devices)
            - then a 'git pull' will update my local repository siimlar to the old svn commit.

            I gave this a try just to see if it worked. After copying in my local files, and trying to pull from git, I get a bunch of errors around 'needs update'. I'm sure I'm missing something simple somewhere….

            Updating cc7c439..b3ba252
            bin/mh: needs update
            bin/mhl: needs update
            code/common/audreyspeak.pl: needs update
            code/common/internet_mail.pl: needs update
            code/common/mp3.pl: needs update
            code/common/organizer.pl: needs update
            data/email/summary.html: needs update
            data/phone/phone.area_codes.list: needs update
            data/pronouncable_words.list: needs update
            data/shopping_list.txt: needs update
            data/states.list: needs update
            docs/toc.html: needs update
            lib/AnalogSensor_Item.pm: needs update
            lib/CID_Announce.pm: needs update
            lib/CID_Lookup.pm: needs update
            lib/Caller_ID.pm: needs update
            lib/Door_Item.pm: needs update
            lib/Telephony_Interface.pm: needs update
            lib/handy_net_utilities.pl: needs update
            lib/imap_utils.pl: needs update
            lib/vsDB.pm: needs update
            lib/vsLock.pm: needs update
            lib/xAP_Items.pm: needs update
            web/bin/phone_in.pl: needs update
            web/comics/dailystrips/strips.def: needs update
            web/comics/index.html: needs update
            web/ia5/calendar/browse.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/calendar/index.html: needs update
            web/ia5/calendar/menu.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/entertain/index.html: needs update
            web/ia5/entertain/menu.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/house/menu.html: needs update
            web/ia5/lights/index.html: needs update
            web/ia5/lights/menu.html: needs update
            web/ia5/menu.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/modes/main.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/news/menu.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/outside/browse.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/outside/hvac.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/outside/index.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/outside/menu.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/outside/weather_index.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/phone/menu.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/phone/voicemail.pl: needs update
            web/ia5/security/camoverview.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/security/floorplan.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/security/index.html: needs update
            web/ia5/security/main.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/statistics/index.html: needs update
            web/ia5/statistics/webstats.shtml: needs update
            web/ia5/top.shtml: needs update
            fatal: Entry 'bin/mh' not uptodate. Cannot merge.

            On 2013-07-07, at 11:08 AM, Eloy Paris <peloy@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > "sophisticated".
            >
            > Running "git status" would allow one to see what files have been
            > modified locally, and running "git diff" would allow one to see the
            > exact changes.
            >
            > Running "git pull" would bring in new changes in the master repo. Any
            > conflicts would be resolved then by editing the local files.
            >
            > Of course, I'd advice to keep local changes to a minimum by not
            > modifying files that should be modified elsewhere (like web pages), and
            > by contributing any local changes so they can be merged into the
            > official repository.
            >
            > My MH source code tree that I use in production in my house is
            > read-only. I believe there's documentation in the wiki on how to do
            > this. How to do customization of the web interface without touching
            > files in the original distribution is documented here:

          • Lieven Hollevoet
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 9 11:55 PM
              Hi Plato,

              I have documented both the steps required to clone a repo (for just using it without contributing back) and the steps required to be able to contribute back on the git wiki:

              https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Contributing#checking-out-the-code-from-git-for-installing-misterhouse
              and
              https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Contributing#developing-using-git

              The main difference compared to SVN when you want to contribute is that you need to make your own clone of the repo on github. The reason is that, unlike we did in SVN, it is the idea that you push changes to your own clone on github instead of immediately to hollie/misterhouse.git. That way, other developers can review/test your changes before integrating them in the 'mother' repo (which we agreed upon to be the 'hollie' one).

              Related to the 'needs update' you get: it is not exactly clear to me what is causing that. Could you send me an example file that is causing this problem so that I can try to replicate it on my system? Are you running on windows (could be a problem with the line endings).

              Kind regards,
              Lieven.

              Op 10-jul.-2013, om 06:11 heeft H Plato <hplato@...> het volgende geschreven:

            • H Plato
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 10 6:34 AM
                I'm running linux (albeit an old fedora core 5 box).

                I got that error when i issued the 'git pull' command after i copied
                in all my changed files. This was just to test the process, so i
                shouldn't have copied in files like bin/mh.

                I'll review the wiki. I think i got the major steps figured out
                (tracking down all the tweaks an changes i've made over the past few
                years was a big one). Just need to integrate my customizations into
                the new platform and then start tackling insteon.

                Sent from my mobile device.

                On 2013-07-10, at 12:55 AM, Lieven Hollevoet <lieven@...> wrote:

> [...]
                >>> "sophisticated".
                >>>
                >>> Running "git status" would allow one to see what files have been
                >>> modified locally, and running "git diff" would allow one to see the
                >>> exact changes.
                >>>
                >>> Running "git pull" would bring in new changes in the master repo. Any
                >>> conflicts would be resolved then by editing the local files.
                >>>
                >>> Of course, I'd advice to keep local changes to a minimum by not
                >>> modifying files that should be modified elsewhere (like web pages), and
                >>> by contributing any local changes so they can be merged into the
                >>> official repository.
                >>>
                >>> My MH source code tree that I use in production in my house is
                >>> read-only. I believe there's documentation in the wiki on how to do
                >>> this. How to do customization of the web interface without touching
                >>> files in the original distribution is documented here:

              • Michael Stovenour
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 10 7:27 AM
                  On July 09, 2013 11:12 PM H Plato wrote:

                  > I got that error when i issued the 'git pull' command after i copied
                  > in all my changed files. This was just to test the process, so i
                  > shouldn't have copied in files like bin/mh.

                  Being a new Git user, you might be missing one point. When you copy the files over; from
                  a Git perspective you are essentially editing those files. You then need to commit those
                  changes to the local Git repository using "git stage -u" and "git commit". Ideally you
                  should not have uncommitted changes on your local file system before trying to merge (pull
                  == fetch/merge) from another repository.

                  As an SVN user new to Git this part confused me initially. With Git you have a
                  "repository" on your local system where you are editing files. You need to check in your
                  changes to that local copy before you try to pull changes from a remote repository.
                  Conceptually Git implements multiple repositories that are 2-way merged. In your case you
                  have a repository on your local PC and one or more repositories on GitHub. The files you
                  see in your file system are just a "view" into the branch you've checked out from your
                  local repository. If you modify the files in that view (with an editor or by overwriting
                  the file from somewhere else) then you need to check the changes back into your local
                  repository before you try to "sync" (i.e. fetch/merge, pull, push) that repository with
                  another one (e.g. hollie/misterhouse).

                  To get a feel for how this all works you can view all the "repositories" and all the
                  branches (both local and remote) with this command:
                  $ git branch -a
                  enhance_hopcount
                  fix_issue_212
                  i2_aldb_support
                  * master
                  merge_i2_aldb_support
                  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
                  remotes/origin/enhance_hopcount
                  remotes/origin/fix_issue_212
                  remotes/origin/i2_aldb_support
                  remotes/origin/master
                  remotes/origin/merge_i2_aldb_support
                  remotes/upstream/add_philips_hue_support
                  remotes/upstream/add_tts_mac_say
                  remotes/upstream/autoversion
                  remotes/upstream/master
                  remotes/upstream/stable

                  Here I have a local repository (the first 5 branches) and two remote repositories that are
                  tracked in this directory. origin is my own GitHub repository mstovenour/misterhouse and
                  upstream is hollie/misterhouse.

                  Sincerely,
                  Michael

                • H Plato
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 10 7:46 AM
                    Ah that makes sense. In svn, i rarely 'committed' files as most were
                    customized for my local setup and not relevant for others.

                    I'm a little unclear why i'd have multiple local branches. I should be
                    able to just work out of my local repository, and commit my changes
                    when I'm ready to pull down collective updates, correct?

                    I appreciate the leadership to keep the project active, and the
                    efforts to bring some of the svn holdouts into the brave new world...

                    Sent from my mobile device.

                    On 2013-07-10, at 8:27 AM, Michael Stovenour <michael@...> wrote:

                    > On July 09, 2013 11:12 PM H Plato wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I got that error when i issued the 'git pull' command after i copied
                    >> in all my changed files. This was just to test the process, so i
                    >> shouldn't have copied in files like bin/mh.
                    >
                    > Being a new Git user, you might be missing one point. When you copy the files over; from
                    > a Git perspective you are essentially editing those files. You then need to commit those
                    > changes to the local Git repository using "git stage -u" and "git commit". Ideally you
                    > should not have uncommitted changes on your local file system before trying to merge (pull
                    > == fetch/merge) from another repository.
                    >
                    > As an SVN user new to Git this part confused me initially. With Git you have a
                    > "repository" on your local system where you are editing files. You need to check in your
                    > changes to that local copy before you try to pull changes from a remote repository.
                    > Conceptually Git implements multiple repositories that are 2-way merged. In your case you
                    > have a repository on your local PC and one or more repositories on GitHub. The files you
                    > see in your file system are just a "view" into the branch you've checked out from your
                    > local repository. If you modify the files in that view (with an editor or by overwriting
                    > the file from somewhere else) then you need to check the changes back into your local
                    > repository before you try to "sync" (i.e. fetch/merge, pull, push) that repository with
                    > another one (e.g. hollie/misterhouse).
                    >
                    > To get a feel for how this all works you can view all the "repositories" and all the
                    > branches (both local and remote) with this command:
                    > $ git branch -a
                    > enhance_hopcount
                    > fix_issue_212
                    > i2_aldb_support
                    > * master
                    > merge_i2_aldb_support
                    > remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
                    > remotes/origin/enhance_hopcount
                    > remotes/origin/fix_issue_212
                    > remotes/origin/i2_aldb_support
                    > remotes/origin/master
                    > remotes/origin/merge_i2_aldb_support
                    > remotes/upstream/add_philips_hue_support
                    > remotes/upstream/add_tts_mac_say
                    > remotes/upstream/autoversion
                    > remotes/upstream/master
                    > remotes/upstream/stable
                    >
                    > Here I have a local repository (the first 5 branches) and two remote repositories that are
                    > tracked in this directory. origin is my own GitHub repository mstovenour/misterhouse and
                    > upstream is hollie/misterhouse.
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    > Michael

                  • Lieven Hollevoet
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 10 8:50 AM
                      Hey Plato,

                      Op 10-jul.-2013, om 16:46 heeft H Plato <hplato@...> het volgende geschreven:

                      > Ah that makes sense. In svn, i rarely 'committed' files as most were
                      > customized for my local setup and not relevant for others.
                      >
                      > I'm a little unclear why i'd have multiple local branches. I should be
                      > able to just work out of my local repository, and commit my changes
                      > when I'm ready to pull down collective updates, correct?

                      the flow of working with git is that if you want to work on a feature or a fix, you create a new branch. When you make a branch and push it to a public repository location, it enables other users to pull this branch (containing the changes you want to apply in the 'mother repository') to their local working copy for evaluation. Also, it enables you to create so-called pull requests for easy integration of your changes into the mother branch. See https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/pulls for examples to see how this looks like.

                      Basically creating a branch for your changes eases validation of your changes and also enables other users to cooperate with you on those changes. This concept is a little bit different from what is regularly used in SVN, where to my experience branching is used less frequently.

                      > On 2013-07-10, at 8:27 AM, Michael Stovenour <michael@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> On July 09, 2013 11:12 PM H Plato wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> I got that error when i issued the 'git pull' command after i copied
                      >>> in all my changed files. This was just to test the process, so i
                      >>> shouldn't have copied in files like bin/mh.
                      >>
                      >> Being a new Git user, you might be missing one point. When you copy the files over; from
                      >> a Git perspective you are essentially editing those files. You then need to commit those
                      >> changes to the local Git repository using "git stage -u" and "git commit". Ideally you
                      >> should not have uncommitted changes on your local file system before trying to merge (pull
                      >> == fetch/merge) from another repository.

                      Michael, good catch, that is indeed the reason.

                      Kind regards,
                      Lieven.
                    • H Plato
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 13 12:27 PM
                        Thanks again to Michael to Lieven for the help. I'm on git now, wasn't that tough of a process, and helped me clean out 5 years of cruft and test files I had in my local SVN root.

                        In a nutshell my change process;

                        - create the local git repository as per the wiki
                        - update current SVN to the most current.
                        - Do a 'svn diff' to see local changes.
                        - Do a diff -qr git_dir svn_dir | grep Only to see which files I've added to my SVN root
                        - Copy svn_dir/web/ia svn_dir/web/graphics and svn_dir/web/comics to a separate directory outside of git and svn, and then create the aliases in the mh.ini files (I run 3 separate instances -- a main loop, a loop for the X10 CM, and a loop for the W800)
                        - review the changed files and local additions if they needed to be added into the git respository
                        - do a git add filename for each file added
                        - at the end do a git pull to see that everything is up to date
                        - change my MH root from svn to git
                        - Start!

                        Check to see that the version is 3.0

                        Now to add in my new insteon plm, and hopefully create an object for my Wifi-to-IR Global Cache device

                        On 2013-07-10, at 8:27 AM, Michael Stovenour <michael@...> wrote:

                        > On July 09, 2013 11:12 PM H Plato wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I got that error when i issued the 'git pull' command after i copied
                        >> in all my changed files. This was just to test the process, so i
                        >> shouldn't have copied in files like bin/mh.
                        >
                        > Being a new Git user, you might be missing one point. When you copy the files over; from
                        > a Git perspective you are essentially editing those files. You then need to commit those
                        > changes to the local Git repository using "git stage -u" and "git commit". Ideally you
                        > should not have uncommitted changes on your local file system before trying to merge (pull
                        > == fetch/merge) from another repository.
                        >
                        > As an SVN user new to Git this part confused me initially. With Git you have a
                        > "repository" on your local system where you are editing files. You need to check in your
                        > changes to that local copy before you try to pull changes from a remote repository.
                        > Conceptually Git implements multiple repositories that are 2-way merged. In your case you
                        > have a repository on your local PC and one or more repositories on GitHub. The files you
                        > see in your file system are just a "view" into the branch you've checked out from your
                        > local repository. If you modify the files in that view (with an editor or by overwriting
                        > the file from somewhere else) then you need to check the changes back into your local
                        > repository before you try to "sync" (i.e. fetch/merge, pull, push) that repository with
                        > another one (e.g. hollie/misterhouse).
                        >
                        > To get a feel for how this all works you can view all the "repositories" and all the
                        > branches (both local and remote) with this command:
                        > $ git branch -a
                        > enhance_hopcount
                        > fix_issue_212
                        > i2_aldb_support
                        > * master
                        > merge_i2_aldb_support
                        > remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
                        > remotes/origin/enhance_hopcount
                        > remotes/origin/fix_issue_212
                        > remotes/origin/i2_aldb_support
                        > remotes/origin/master
                        > remotes/origin/merge_i2_aldb_support
                        > remotes/upstream/add_philips_hue_support
                        > remotes/upstream/add_tts_mac_say
                        > remotes/upstream/autoversion
                        > remotes/upstream/master
                        > remotes/upstream/stable
                        >
                        > Here I have a local repository (the first 5 branches) and two remote repositories that are
                        > tracked in this directory. origin is my own GitHub repository mstovenour/misterhouse and
                        > upstream is hollie/misterhouse.
                        >
                        > Sincerely,
                        > Michael

                      • Lieven Hollevoet
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 13 1:33 PM
                          Hi Plato,

                          cool, thanks for the update!

                          Lieven.

                          Op 13-jul.-2013, om 21:27 heeft H Plato <hplato@...> het volgende geschreven:

> [...]
                          >> branches (both local and remote) with this command:
                          >> $ git branch -a
                          >> enhance_hopcount
                          >> fix_issue_212
                          >> i2_aldb_support
                          >> * master
                          >> merge_i2_aldb_support
                          >> remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
                          >> remotes/origin/enhance_hopcount
                          >> remotes/origin/fix_issue_212
                          >> remotes/origin/i2_aldb_support
                          >> remotes/origin/master
                          >> remotes/origin/merge_i2_aldb_support
                          >> remotes/upstream/add_philips_hue_support
                          >> remotes/upstream/add_tts_mac_say
                          >> remotes/upstream/autoversion
                          >> remotes/upstream/master
                          >> remotes/upstream/stable
                          >>
                          >> Here I have a local repository (the first 5 branches) and two remote repositories that are
                          >> tracked in this directory. origin is my own GitHub repository mstovenour/misterhouse and

                        • Marc MERLIN
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 14 4:55 PM
                            While you are on vacation, I just got back to see this.

                            I wanted to give Michael, you, and others who helped, starting with Lieven
                            for the git work, a bit thank you and kudos for making this happen.

                            Marc

                            --
                            "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" -
                            A.S.R.

                          • Vargster
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 18 6:26 AM
                              Can someone build a zip file of v3.0 that we can put on the MisterHouse.net website, like was done for v2.200?

                              Lee

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 18 8:20 AM
                                Hi Lee,

                                as with every stable release of MisterHouse we release through github the zipfile is automatically built:

                                This link never changes and always gives you the latest MisterHouse version zipfile.

                                Kind regards,
                                 Lieven.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 18 8:44 AM

                                  Lieven,

                                  Any comments on my previous email with respect to documentation around how we tag / release code?  I volunteered to update this page so it points to something on GitHub, but given that the existing page is tied to version checking automation I need to first find a replacement version check procedure.  Since you’ve taken the lead in deciding how release management should be done; I, as a developer, would like a written understanding of how I can write code that relies on your process.

                                  Now, on the other hand, if the group thinks automating the version check is a useless feature; I’ll be happy to delete the file from source control and this whole thing with be a moot point.

                                  Sincerely,

                                  Michael

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 18 8:56 AM
                                    Hi Michael,

                                    yes, documenting the release process of MisterHouse on github is still on my todo list. Summer pulled me from behind my computer last weekend :-)

                                    I'll update you before the end of this weekend.

                                    Kind regards,
                                     Lieven.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 18 1:39 PM
                                        Hi Michael,

                                        first of all I have documented the process on how to create a new stable release here: https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Release-process-of-a-new-stable-release

                                        Secondly, I propose the following 'simple' numbering scheme: we're now at 3.0. If we deem it useful to make a new stable release that contains minor changes/fixes/additions we up the minor version number, however we don't pass 9 on minor version numbers as this is confusing for users (is 3.101 newer than 3.2?).

                                        Of course if we think it is interesting to have a major version increment, e.g. when we add this fully AJAX-based dynamic web 3.0 web interface (theoretical example of course :-), we up the version to 4.0. This can happen before we end up with 3.9 depending on what we as developers decide to be the best solution.

                                        Now on the automatic version check you asked about. If we can agree that we call the tag of the stable releases in the repo to be in the format of
                                        v<major>.<minor>
                                        then we should be able to parse the latest release to be the top-most release on the JSON page you linked to.

                                        I don't think we will ever put tags on non-stable releases (those developments go into branches but not in a tag) so we should be able to safely say that the topmost tag in the JSON output is the most recent release.

                                        Kind regards,
                                        Lieven.

                                        Op 18-jul.-2013, om 17:44 heeft "Michael Stovenour" <michael@...> het volgende geschreven:

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 18 11:10 PM
                                          On July 18, 2013 3:39 PM Lieven wrote:

                                          > first of all I have documented the process on how to create a new stable release here:
                                          > https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Release-process-of-a-new-stable-release

                                          Thanks Lieven. My OCD
                                          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder) is settling down now
                                          :)

                                          Just two comments:
                                          Did you mean to leave this paragraph? It seems like you are missing the content of the
                                          VERSION file.
                                          Then, update the version number in the VERSION file (should contain .).
                                          The "should contain" part seems to be missing.

                                          Do you mind if I add some steps to:
                                          Document how to update the official user documentation
                                          Copy the stable zip file to various yet to be determined locations (maybe just
                                          sourceforge)
                                          Notify various forums, mail lists, etc. of the new release

                                          > Secondly, I propose the following 'simple' numbering scheme: we're now at 3.0. If we
                                          > deem it useful to make a new stable release that contains minor changes/fixes/additions
                                          > we up the minor version number, however we don't pass 9 on minor version numbers as this
                                          > is confusing for users (is 3.101 newer than 3.2?).
                                          >
                                          > Of course if we think it is interesting to have a major version increment, e.g. when we
                                          > add this fully AJAX-based dynamic web 3.0 web interface (theoretical example of course
                                          > :-), we up the version to 4.0. This can happen before we end up with 3.9 depending on
                                          > what we as developers decide to be the best solution.
                                          >
                                          > Now on the automatic version check you asked about. If we can agree that we call the tag
                                          > of the stable releases in the repo to be in the format of
                                          > v<major>.<minor>
                                          > then we should be able to parse the latest release to be the top-most release on the
                                          > JSON page you linked to.
                                          >
                                          > I don't think we will ever put tags on non-stable releases (those developments go into
                                          > branches but not in a tag) so we should be able to safely say that the topmost tag in
                                          > the JSON output is the most recent release.

                                          I like it. I can modify the version check to look for the "first" (i.e. top most) tag
                                          that matches the pattern /v\d+\.\d+/. That should cover us if someone creates a tag for a
                                          different use.

                                          Do you mind if I add the text above to a wiki page?

                                          Sincerely,
                                          Michael

                                        • Lieven Hollevoet
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 18 11:46 PM
                                            Hi Michael,

                                            On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Michael Stovenour <michael@...> wrote:

                                            On July 18, 2013 3:39 PM Lieven wrote:

                                            > first of all I have documented the process on how to create a new stable release here:
                                            > https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Release-process-of-a-new-stable-release

                                            Thanks Lieven.  My OCD
                                            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder) is settling down now
                                            :)

                                            Well, glad I was able to help here :)

                                            Just two comments:
                                            Did you mean to leave this paragraph?  It seems like you are missing the content of the
                                            VERSION file.
                                                    Then, update the version number in the VERSION file (should contain .).
                                            The "should contain" part seems to be missing.

                                            Hmmm, it contained <major>.<minor> but the characters between the brackets got eaten up by the wiki formatting. Fixed it.

                                            Do you mind if I add some steps to:
                                                    Document how to update the official user documentation
                                                    Copy the stable zip file to various yet to be determined locations (maybe just
                                            sourceforge)
                                                    Notify various forums, mail lists, etc. of the new release
                                            I never have a problem with people adding documentation :)
                                            Please go ahead, I already added a link to existing documentation on how to contribute in the text you added.

                                            > Secondly, I propose the following 'simple' numbering scheme: we're now at 3.0. If we
                                            > deem it useful to make a new stable release that contains minor changes/fixes/additions
                                            > we up the minor version number, however we don't pass 9 on minor version numbers as this
                                            > is confusing for users (is 3.101 newer than 3.2?).
                                            >
                                            > Of course if we think it is interesting to have a major version increment, e.g. when we
                                            > add this fully AJAX-based dynamic web 3.0 web interface (theoretical example of course
                                            > :-), we up the version to 4.0. This can happen before we end up with 3.9 depending on
                                            > what we as developers decide to be the best solution.
                                            >
                                            > Now on the automatic version check you asked about. If we can agree that we call the tag
                                            > of the stable releases in the repo to be in the format of
                                            > v<major>.<minor>
                                            > then we should be able to parse the latest release to be the top-most release on the
                                            > JSON page you linked to.
                                            >
                                            > I don't think we will ever put tags on non-stable releases (those developments go into
                                            > branches but not in a tag) so we should be able to safely say that the topmost tag in
                                            > the JSON output is the most recent release.

                                            I like it.  I can modify the version check to look for the "first" (i.e. top most) tag
                                            that matches the pattern /v\d+\.\d+/.  That should cover us if someone creates a tag for a
                                            different use.

                                            Yes, that regexp was what I had in mind too!

                                            Do you mind if I add the text above to a wiki page?

                                            Not at all. Please go ahead.

                                            Kind regards,
                                             Lieven.

                                          • Carl McGrath
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 22, 2013
                                              Sometimes things just work too well, my MH system has just kept on ticking for almost three years now, with just an annual reboot, and that for no particular reason.
                                              I just had my first Insteon device failure in three years, and from sampling the amazing level of activity here on the mailing list know that new Insteon devices are likely to be incompatible with my current system. I used my last spare, so time to get ready. I also want to dabble with some of the new features.

                                              Where is now the best place to reengage?
                                              Read the 1300 emails I am behind, or some updated Wiki pages?
                                              Suggestions welcome!
                                              And thanks for all the great work and mailing list dialog.

                                              FYI, I live in South Florida and summertime used to kill two or three Insteon devices a year.
                                              We get a lot of lightning and surge activity. I tried add-on surge protectors(to my main panel) and the recent surge protectors that replace 220V breakers IN the panel with only limited success. Finally, I had our Power company install a surge protector that sits right behind the meter in the outdoor socket, HERE is a URL. It has worked amazingly well. If you have such issues, you might pursue with your power provider.