RE: [mission-sd] RE:Staggered Reading

  • Letha Saldanha
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2001
      RE: [mission-sd] RE:Staggered Reading

      Hi Ann,

      This is interesting; somehow I got the impression somewhere along the thread of this discussion that eliminating the staggered reading was tied in somewhere with FUSD's overriding goal of equity and was being done because many schools like Chadbourne have already eliminated it--so is'nt this somewhere on the Equity Commission's radar, especially to see that even if the program is eliminated, students who would have benefited from the program and need the extra reading time will still have acess to it? Was the Equity Commission involved in this decision? I know PRAA, which is supposed to be the parent communication wing, was not, so it looks like we really have a lack of communication bewteen FUSD and the communities needs as usual.

      I must agree with Robert that I am more and more inclined to sincerely believe that FUSD is just way too big and smaller schools districts would benefit everybody with better communication between th administration and the communities visions and needs. I am trying to look beyond my personal experiences and see what the 31,000 students need and I am sure there are a large number who need the extra reading attention.

      Do we know if the way the teachers spend the extra instruction time is at their discretion or there are specific guidelines or mandates?

      Letha Saldanha
      letha@...
      Phone:510-413-1221
      Fax: 510-580-0504

    • ACrosbie_ FremontUnited
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2001
        Letha ~

        The first I heard staggered reading discussed, that I remember, was at
        meetings like PRAA where parents were standing up to say that they didn't
        think it was fair that their children had fewer instruction hours due to
        staggered reading.
        I heard it brought up by disgruntled parents.
        As far as what happens now with the new minutes I don't know. But I think
        it is an interesting question and I look forward to hearing what the plan
        is.

        ~Ann