Re: [MSM] inquiry-emergency candle formula

  • Snitt99302@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
      In a message dated 2/28/2010 5:17:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      puppycat@... writes:

      I've never heard the saw dust idea either, I would suspect the sawdust
      will
      clog your wick and cause the candle to smoke a lot and make a poor light.

      Sounds like how I make fire starters, wax and sawdust in an paper egg
      carton (12-18 fire starters)
      Stearite (sp) is a chemical used to make wicks/candles burn longer. The
      wax/rolled carboard in a can makes a great stove.

      Snitt

    • Snitt99302@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
        In a message dated 2/28/2010 7:34:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        pernkat@... writes:

        I've have also stocked up on the supplies to make oil lamps as they give
        off
        better light.

        We use Aladdinn oil lamps for lighting (and heat also) they are expensive
        but worth it, also the amish use a pump type oil lamp. (check Cumberland
        General store)

        Snitt

      • Barbara Garrett
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
          Lawrence, I keep a supply of Buddy Burners on hand for emergency fuel and
          heating. The corrugated cardboard strip inserts are free and less messy
          than the whole sawdust thing, IMHO. You just need to find a supply of
          candle wax, free if at all possible. I wouldn't waste beeswax unless you
          can find it FREE, but it would burn more cleanly. I talk about them a good
          bit on my blog, and also have some helpful links there on making and using
          them --
          http://funandfrugalliving.blogspot.com/2009/12/buddy-burners-when-good-candles-go-bad.html

          Oh, and yes, the coffee can WOULD get very warm. There's a very good
          reason the coffee can/Buddy Burner set-up is called a hobo stove. You can
          bake with it, or cook on top of the upturned stove OR put a rack on top and
          use that for your burner. Just make sure you have plenty of airholes and a
          way to get to the Buddy Burner below if you need to add more wax. You might
          want to put it inside a cast iron Dutch Oven that's been put on top of a
          heat-proof tile or maybe the fireplace hearth. That way, the coffee can
          would take on a lot of the soot and contain any spilled wax instead of
          messing up your Dutch Oven.

          Oddly, no, it does NOT burn up the cardboard. I don't know or care about
          the physics on that, but the wax burns and leaves the cardboard there.

          -- Barbara Houston Garrett
          MS, Zone 7b; LFD: 4/7; FFD: 10/14
          www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/barbaragarrett
          See what we offer in your state.

        • robert bowman
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
            On Monday 01 March 2010 07:26:00 Ginny wrote:
            > Never heard of the
            > sawdust but maybe it works similar to the cardboard but requires the
            > wick to light it.

            I've seen fire starters made with paraffin and sawdust, but not candles.
            Around here, unless you're a woodworker into hardwoods or are around when
            somebody is cutting down a maple in their yard, the saw dust will be some
            variety of softwood and provide aromatherapy and a mosquito smudge.
          • Buckshot
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
              Comments in among.

              > I've not heard of that formula. However, I'd
              > expect the sawdust to act as a wick, and then
              > you'd have a large flame all the way across the
              > candle.
              >
              > My personal experience with candles includes....
              > * The "Emergency candles" from Dollar Tree, they
              > burn OK as they are. But, if I put one of them in
              > a jar and pour melted wax around the candle, the
              > resulting candle doesn't burn very well. The wick
              > burns up, and the candle goes out after half an
              > hour or so.

              Too small of a wick to heat enough of the wax surface up to keep feeding the
              wick, so the wick inself burns quickly and goes out.

              Did you burn any of the "Emergency Candles" without adding wax first? I am
              betting they worked much better in that situation.

              > * Candle wicks are sold on Ebay, which work fine.
              > Either provided by roll of material, or cut
              > lengths with the metal base.
              > * Melting a andle in a glass jar or drinking glass
              > is an excellent idea. While burning, It forms a
              > puddle of molten wax on top of the surface, and
              > keeps burning. As opposed to slim taper candles
              > which drip and run.

              This is where the augmented emergency candle failed. You had too large a
              surface area of wax for the candle to form a puddle of molten wax.

              > * Sometimes paraffin and candle supples are
              > offered on Recycle list, on the computer. I've
              > picked up supplies like that. Others search garage
              > sales.
              > * The safest, and oddly enough the best way to
              > melt candle was is a melt pot, in a pan of water
              > on the stove. Candle wax melts at lower
              > temperature than water boils. Keep the fire low,
              > and keep the water topped off.
              > * You can make short, fat candles using a plastic
              > drinking glass for a mold. Put the candle in the
              > freezer, to release it. The wax shrinks and pulls
              > from the glass.
              > * The candle in the jar (spahetti sauce jars work
              > well) is a bit safer, because the flame is
              > enclosed by glass. You can also snuff the flame by
              > put the lid on.
              > * It's a good idea to make a "safer" shelf for the
              > candles. In the old days, folks used wall hangers
              > with a pie plate to reflect light into the room.
              > Now days, aluminum cake pan is a good idea as a
              > safe place for the lit candle. Keep drapes,
              > curtains, papers, clothing, etc. away from the
              > flames.
              > * A good fire extinguisher in easy reach, is a
              > good idea.
              > * Safety folks advise not to leave candles lit
              > while sleeping.
              > * Do not use lit candles while fueling vehicles.
              > Do not take lit candles into bed. Do not use lit
              > candles for looking for loose change under the
              > sofa. Do not use lit candles for selecting clothes
              > out of a closet. Do not use lit candles for
              > lighting while drying hair with hair dryer while
              > sitting in bath tub, while adjusting stations on
              > your plug in radio, while opening the wrong end of
              > a package, with the door to the refrigerator wide
              > open unless over the age of 21.
              >
              > Some candle recipes call for mixing in other
              > things to make the wax harder, or last longer. A
              > web search will likely find out what those mixes
              > and formulas are.
              >
              > Christopher A. Young
              > See me on the web
              > http://www.chrisyoungsshop.com/
              > .
              > .

            • Christopher Young
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010
                Comments follow my initials:

                Greetings! I have read recently from one survival
                book, the formula to make emergency candles
                (usually these are candles will have LONG burn
                times for emergency lighting needs).

                CY: As with anything there is a trade off. Long
                burn means less light. You can get "votive"
                candles or religious candles that accomplish the
                same thing.

                Ok, the formula required parafin melted and mixed
                with fine sawdust, mixed and then as it cooled,
                packed into a container and then insert a wick by
                sticking a screwdriver or some other item to make
                a hole to insert the wick into the wax.

                Several questions come to mind: Is the sawdust
                necessary?

                CY: No, actually the sawdust will create problems.

                Does it slow the burning of the wax?

                Wouldn't the sawdust burn along with the wax?

                CY: Sawdust will act as a wick. Last year, I got
                some campfire starters from Walmart, which are wax
                and sawdust, with a bit of match head material.
                Light it like a huge match, and the sawdust wax
                mix burns like a piece of wood. Your wax and
                sawdust mix sounds suspcious at best. I would
                expect the entire top of the sawdust mix to be a
                flame after a while.

                Also, is parafin wax necessary?

                Can other waxes be used such as beeswax?

                CY: Don't know.

                Wouldn't a parafin and beeswax mix make the wax
                last longer as a candle?

                CY: Don't know.

                Finally, I was thinking about using metal coffee
                cans (I have a lot of them) for candle containers.
                I thought I could fill with the wax, insert the
                wick, and then use the plastic cover (originally
                used for the coffee can) as a cover to keep out
                moisture and dust, until the day that I needed to
                burn the candle.

                CY: I've been using glass jars, like spaghetti
                sauce jars. Not as sturdy, but at least the light
                gets out of the jar. Where coffee can, you get a
                spot of light on the ceiling.

                Would metal coffee cans work, folks? OR would the
                metal coffee can build up heat as the candle
                inside burned and become a fire hazard?

                CY: The flame of a wick shouldn't be close enough
                to the metal to make it that hot.

                Finally, if this works out, does anyone have a
                formula for making citronella candles?

                Where do you get the citronella oil and how much
                do you use to mix in with the wax to make an
                effective citronella (mosquito repelling) candle?

                CY: It would require experimenting. For now, I'd
                just buy citronella candles.

                I would appreciate and welcome any and all
                comments and suggestions.

                CY: I suggest you melt one of those sawdust
                candles, and let us know how it works. I suspect
                you'll be disappointed, and the author of that
                survival book probably hadn't personally tried it.
                People have been dipping, pouring, and molding
                candles for a couple hundred and a couple thousand
                years. The only time I've seen sawdust things are
                for campfire lighters. My second suggestion is
                that stores like Walgreens typically have a
                clearance end cap at the back of the store. I've
                gotten a LOT of commercially made candles there,
                for cheap. That's a more effective use of time and
                money, compared to finding a source of sawdust and
                melting candles based on someone's reccomendation.
                Oh, candle making supplies may be purchased on
                Ebay, or from other internet sellers. Wicks,
                blocks of paraffin, etc, shipped to your door.

                Thank you.

                Best wishes.

                Lawrence
              • Christopher Young
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010
                  As the candle heats up, the sawdust will act as a
                  wick. The flame spreads out across the top of the
                  sawdust mix. Much higher flame, faster burn rate.
                  As the paraffin content is dried out, the sawdust
                  will burn and smoke. Great for lighting camp
                  fires, but not for home light and heat.

                  Much better to leave the sawdust out. The heat
                  from the flame melts a bit of wax, which hardens
                  later.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010
                    > My personal experience with candles includes....
                    > * The "Emergency candles" from Dollar Tree, they
                    > burn OK as they are. But, if I put one of them
                    > in
                    > a jar and pour melted wax around the candle, the
                    > resulting candle doesn't burn very well. The
                    > wick
                    > burns up, and the candle goes out after half an
                    > hour or so.

                    Too small of a wick to heat enough of the wax
                    surface up to keep feeding the
                    wick, so the wick inself burns quickly and goes
                    out.

                    Did you burn any of the "Emergency Candles"
                    without adding wax first? I am
                    betting they worked much better in that situation.

                    CY: Yes, I did. The "emergency" ones work fine, if
                    I cram them into a base, and burn them as they
                    come from the store.

                    > * Candle wicks are sold on Ebay, which work
                    > fine.
                    > Either provided by roll of material, or cut
                    > lengths with the metal base.
                    > * Melting a andle in a glass jar or drinking
                    > glass
                    > is an excellent idea. While burning, It forms a
                    > puddle of molten wax on top of the surface, and
                    > keeps burning. As opposed to slim taper candles
                    > which drip and run.

                    This is where the augmented emergency candle
                    failed. You had too large a
                    surface area of wax for the candle to form a
                    puddle of molten wax.

                    CY: I hadn't thought of that. But, now that you
                    mention it, sure makes sense.

                    > * Sometimes paraffin and candle supples are
                    > offered on Recycle list, on the computer. I've
                    > picked up supplies like that. Others search
                    > garage
                    > sales.

                    CY: I've made "cup candles" with other wicks,
                    which burn fine. So, I'm thinking you're exactly
                    right, in that the wicks provided in the Emergency
                    candles aren't heavy enough to create enough heat.
                  • fookisan54
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 3, 2010
                      For emergency light we use LED's that run on AA batts. We have solar chargers and plenty of batts. Candles are our secondary back up, but really they are from 20 years ago when we did not have LEDs. Candles are kind of dangerous, so our old supply were all housed in campers lanterns with glass praetors. Although we have a few bags of food warming candles that have no shroud. Also have deep cycle battery with large solar charger to run bigger lights.
                    • Jeanne Lookabill
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 3, 2010
                        What do you do w/the batteries when they die, as rechargeable will. They
                        have cadmium which is a poison, what do you do with the spent cases?

                        Jeanne

                        <http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole>
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/atasetofcreole
                        <http://www.google.com/profiles/atasteofcreole>
                        http://www.google.com/profiles/atasteofcreole

                        <http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/> http://atasteofcreole.wordpress.com/

                        Ignore your rights and they go away!

                        Take full account of what excellencies which you possess, and in gratitude
                        remember how you would hanker after them, if you had them not.- Marcus
                        Aurelius
                        Anyone who can worship a trinity and insist that his religion is a
                        monotheism can believe anything." -- Robert A. Heinlein

                        "When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is not
                        far away. It is time to go elsewhere. The best thing about space travel is
                        that it WILL make it possible to go elsewhere." - R. Heinlein

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 4, 2010
                          Just send them to the dump or more likely the battery recycle bin at the store. There are problems with every decision we make. My NMHD batts are still going after many years, so have not had to dispose of many so far. In our future, they want to make our entire world run on lithium batts...so better get used to it!

                          --- In misc_survivalism_moderated@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne Lookabill" <atasteofcreole@...> wrote:

                          > What do you do w/the batteries when they die, as rechargeable will. They
                          > have cadmium which is a poison, what do you do with the spent cases?
                          >

                          > Jeanne
                          >
                          > <
                        • Steve Spence
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 6, 2010
                            don't use cadmium. use nickel metal hydride. They also last longer. our
                            local recycling centers has a special bin for batteries.

                            Steve Spence
                            Renewable energy and self sufficiency
                            http://www.green-trust.org
                            http://makingthewebwork.blogspot.com/